Options

Some BIFs and a stack (macros)

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited July 29, 2005 in Holy Macro
Some shots from the last few days.
comments/critique welcome
Brian V.

First some hoverflies in flight.

Oi clear the runway! (actually a merged shot of the same hoverfly)

CRW_6845sc.jpg

Dive bomber

CRW_6888c.jpg

Just hanging around

CRW_6889c.jpg

Fast food

CRW_6919c.jpg

Last a focus stack of thee images of a small spider that was actually threatening me

crw_6996sc.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    All are nice, but #'s 1, 4 and 5 are outstanding, IMHO thumb.gifthumb.gif Nice lighting, colorful subjects, super perspectives and you nailed the focus.

Very, very nice work LV clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Great Great Great! You really make bugs look cool LV
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Thanks for the comments 4labs and steve.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 24, 2005
    Flys in flight!! How in the world do you do that!!?? And the spider is great !! :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Flys in flight!! How in the world do you do that!!?? And the spider is great !! :):
    Thanks Pathfinder.
    Hoverflies are not that hard to get in flight as they do hover around in roughly the same place for short periods of time. You just need a bit of patience and be fast with camera movement (I normally pre-focus the camera-the focus is in manual) and shoot fast. :):
    Brian V.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    They're all excellent but "dive bomber" ....wow!!
  • Options
    Bob StanleyBob Stanley Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Excellent! The dark background is very nice and contrasts well with your hoverflies!!
    Thanks be to God, for our blessings.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Spiders Looks Like A Giant
    Some shots from the last few days.
    comments/critique welcome
    Brian V.
    First some hoverflies in flight.
    Oi clear the runway! (actually a merged shot of the same hoverfly)
    Dive bomber
    Just hanging around
    Fast food
    Last a focus stack of thee images of a small spider that was actually threatening me

crw_6996sc.jpg
    Looks like a scene from a movie hehehe:) love the detail, all those eyes, and he's ready for action........nicely executed...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    They're all excellent but "dive bomber" ....wow!!
    Excellent! The dark background is very nice and contrasts well with your hoverflies!!
    Skippy wrote:
    Looks like a scene from a movie hehehe:) love the detail, all those eyes, and he's ready for action........nicely executed...... Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks Gubbs, Bob and Skippy.
    The last spider was very cooperative. The first stack I did did not work (legs everywhere), but it was still performing when I went back to try again. rolleyes1.gif Suprised how good their eyesight is- it went on guard when I was standing about 2 feet away.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Brian, I missed these pics the first time round, but they are stunning thumb.gif

Just one thing (I'm not sure whether I'm imagining it) but on my monitor the LH hoverfly in #1 seems to be flying into a solid black wall. It could be that you need to mask out a bit of the upper layer directly in front of the LH fly.

Could you give me some more info on the stacked focus issue (a link or something like that). I hope you also share some more details on your new flash setup here.

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Brian, I missed these pics the first time round, but they are stunning thumb.gif

Just one thing (I'm not sure whether I'm imagining it) but on my monitor the LH hoverfly in #1 seems to be flying into a solid black wall. It could be that you need to mask out a bit of the upper layer directly in front of the LH fly.

Could you give me some more info on the stacked focus issue (a link or something like that). I hope you also share some more details on your new flash setup here.

regards
    alan
    Alan thanks for the comments
    Will look at that pic- I use an LCD which is lousy at the darker tones so often wonder if I miss something.
    More info on combinez5 here including the prog
    http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZ5/combinez5.htm

I'll do a post shortly on the flash rig setup- haven't really had a chance to fully test yet.
    BrianV.
  • Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Just one thing (I'm not sure whether I'm imagining it) but on my monitor the LH hoverfly in #1 seems to be flying into a solid black wall.
    FWIW, I don't see a "wall" on my monitor.

The pictures are all great!

Regards,
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:

Regards,
    Thanks Rohirrim
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:

Regards,
    Steve, I think this may show what I'm referring to:
    30154010-O.jpg

I pushed the rhs slider in levels to about halfway and then moved the gamma slider to the right (and doubled the size).

I probably notice this more than most as I do quite a bit of remastering of LPs to CD. When I make the CD covers from the LP cover I have to scan the LP cover in 4 sections on my A4 scanner to get the whole cover. When I put them together, I've sometimes had situations like that shown above, where, depending on the monitor, you can't see the seam, but as soon as I print it, it's visible.

Please note that I'm not trying to detract from the great pic that Brian produced, just trying to help improve it.

Thanks for the link Brian - it looks interesting. BTW, what lens are you using. From what I can see on the pic on DPR, it looks like something I'd like to have. Do you have any problems with manual focussing with the 300?

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Steve, I think this may show what I'm referring to:

Thanks for the link Brian - it looks interesting. BTW, what lens are you using. From what I can see on the pic on DPR, it looks like something I'd like to have. Do you have any problems with manual focussing with the 300?

regards
    alan
    Thanks for the clarification on the "wall".
    I'm using a sigma 105mmEX macro. No problems with manual focusing. I first ensured I had the Dioptre set properly on the eyepiece by checking auto Vs manual focus. Have two methods of focusing often use both combined. I preset the focus and the just move the camera back and forth until I see sharp focus, also often hold the shutter button half down and focus point lights up and camera beeps when good focus is achieved- I actually fire the shutter with a remote on the flash bracket with my other hand
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    Thanks for the clarification on the "wall".
    I'm using a sigma 105mmEX macro. No problems with manual focusing. I first ensured I had the Dioptre set properly on the eyepiece by checking auto Vs manual focus. Have two methods of focusing often use both combined. I preset the focus and the just move the camera back and forth until I see sharp focus, also often hold the shutter button half down and focus point lights up and camera beeps when good focus is achieved- I actually fire the shutter with a remote on the flash bracket with my other hand
    Brian V.
    Thanks for the info on the lens Brian. It's got stunningly good reviews on FM, I'll have to get it, except it's a bit on the expensive side here in SA (~$750US).

With film macros I also used the move back & forth to get object in focus (only difference was I didn't have a bracket - I held the flash in left hand and camera in right, then shot when I hit the sweet spot!).

regards
    alan