Options

So I got a lightroom question..

SCPSCP Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited June 1, 2010 in Finishing School
When I go traveling or on Photoshoots I use Lightroom on my laptop and from my external Hard drive to go over photos with Clients to sort, process and mark their favorites.

Now here is my trouble. When I get home I want to edit those previously sorted files on my Desktop, BUT.. When I import (Add to catalog but do not move) those previously sorted and marked files, the color labels, flags, picks or whatever else doesn't move and I have to their do it manually comparing to the laptop OR use the laptop and sometimes I hate using it and I find it easier to edit on the desktop.

So, how can I get the labels, colors, flags and all that stuff to transfer over from the laptop to the desktop?

This turned out to be an issue when I got home to sort process 80 photos for a client and had to go to the laptop to process those as it didn't transfer over to the desktop UGH.
Kandie Kingery

Become a fan of Stone Creek Photography

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    it all starts on Page 92 of Scott Kelby's "the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers" ........not had to do that YET.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Normally your settings (processing/tag/flag/etc.) are saved only in the LR database... If you want these changes saved automatically, go to Catalog Settings and on the Metadata tab select "Automatically write changes into XMP". I'm pretty sure you can do this manually also by selecting the images you want to save changes to and pressing Ctrl+S.

If you are using raw, LR will save an XMP file for each photo with the same name as the raw file. It doesn't make any changes to the original raw file.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    To do this, when you get back from location, do an Export as Catalog (new stuff) then import from Catalog.

OR use a sync utility (I’m on a Mac, I use SuperDuper). It clones all the newer documents from either drive. On location, the drive would have newer files and an updated catalog (with keywords, picks etc). That would be copied and updated on the machine at home, thus syncing everything up. Labels, colors, flags are saved in the catalog database file (ircat file).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Laughing.gif Art! I Scott Kelby, ,not a book I have though, I might have to go get it.

Rsquared and Arodney. THANK YOU THANK YOU, You two are my heroes.. I KNEW there had to be something I was missing to do this.
    Kandie Kingery

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Do you peek in on my life? LMFAO. I have the most chaotic Work Flow
    It's pretty much Load it here. Back up there. bring into Lightroom.. Sort em in the ones I feel represent me best, load em up and wait for the order.
    Upon ordering. Locate the file. Process file, replace the file. Send file to lab.

My own photos.. I do say "Where did that one go, I knew it was here.." and end up Importing the whole dang External to find it. I am horrible.
    Those sound like they could be very helpful.
    Kandie Kingery