Options

Help with a new P&S purchase!

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited June 4, 2010 in Cameras
I'm going cross-eyed finding camera after camera and reading review after review and viewing specs on each and every one. Ugh!

I need some help deciding on a point and shoot to purchase. I've had terrible luck buying these things and I just got rid of mine(Sony Cybershot T-70) because I was hopelessly disgusted with it. I want a new one that takes great pics. Mostly I'll be carrying this thing around with me and taking pics on the fly(everyday stuff) - day, night, poolside. If I know a good opportunity for shooting is coming up, I usually drag out my 10D with the good lenses. But all I need is something I can whip outta my pocket and take decent pictures with to capture fun stuff.

My budget is tiny; $150-$200.

The things that are most important to me(in order) are:

1. Clear, crisp images
2. Good low light images
3. Some kind of IS
4. Good battery life
5. Fast recycle time

My dad has a Lumix Z series camera and it takes fantastic pics - but he's got the higher end model that comes with the Leica lens and those are all out of my price range. I was looking at the Canon Elph/Powershot series and figured I couldn't go wrong with a lens on any Canon camera, right? They've got a few that are F2.8 and even one that's F2.7 which is pretty good for a P&S, isn't it?

I figured I could sacrifice getting a camera with a great lens(Lumix series) and go with a brand I know that makes good lenses(Canon) and find an F2.8 which would help with better picture taking....

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    To be perfectly honest, low light, and fast recycle time and even more importantly, low shutter lag, are all where P&S cameras fall down nearly universally. Nearly any one you pick will be marginally no different among them, and in order to get the best performing models, you will need to spend more than $150. If you can, save a bit more and purchase a slightly used Canon Rebel XS, XSi, XT. You can get these for about $350-$400 on DGrin forums, and these will be orders of magnitude better than any P&S you can find.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, low light, and fast recycle time and even more importantly, low shutter lag, are all where P&S cameras fall down nearly universally. Nearly any one you pick will be marginally no different among them, and in order to get the best performing models, you will need to spend more than $150. If you can, save a bit more and purchase a slightly used Canon Rebel XS, XSi, XT. You can get these for about $350-$400 on DGrin forums, and these will be orders of magnitude better than any P&S you can find.

To me, a Rebel would be in the same category as my 10D. I'm looking for a pocket camera that has the attributes I mentioned, in that price range, better than others. I know P&S's are notorious for crappy pics in low light situations, but there's gotta be one that does it better than others.

More specifically I'm wondering what's better:

Canon Powershot vs. Panasonic Lumix with crappy lens.

I've read that Lumix cameras deliver great pics with their Leica lenses, but because I can't afford it, will the Canon Powershot with their lens be better?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Well you can buy crappy ones for $200 and waste your money and have to buy another one later or buy a decent one the first time and be done with it.
    I bought the Canon S90 and love it.
    I had previously bought three less expensive ones (all Nikon's) hoping to get lucky but they all sucked, so I should have followed my own advice.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    I am with zoomer on this..buy it once and buy it right.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ElectricDreamsElectricDreams Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    In Photographer, You get what you pay for. 150 is going to buy you a point and shoot meant for people just to have fun with. It's not meant to take professional quality images. You can get some really nice point and shoots for about 300-400 but I've gotten so used to using a DSLR that the speed and lack of control in cheap point and shoots has just become frustrating. I still have not used a better point and shoot than the Leica D-Lux.
    ELECTRIC DREAMS PHOTOGRAPHY
    By Patrick McPeak

Canon 400D (Rebel XTI)
    18-55 Kit Lens
    75-300 - F/4-5.6 USM
    50mm 1.4

Proud to be a Drexel Dragon.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    So most of the consensus here is to not buy a point and shoot or to save up for one that will perform like my 10D.

I really want a simple point and shoot - not a crappy one, not an expensive one, but one that works well in most lighting conditions.

Anyone got a suggestion that will fit a $150 - $200 budget?
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/best-cameras.html has it sorted by price. I've had a couple P&S, latest being a Konica Minolta DiMage Z10 Laughing.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    S90 or one of the SD series cameras.

Nothing is going to give you the performance features you're looking for in a small package. I've used an SD870 for the p&s stuff for a while. It just died and I replaced it with the S90.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    S90 or one of the SD series cameras.

Nothing is going to give you the performance features you're looking for in a small package. I've used an SD870 for the p&s stuff for a while. It just died and I replaced it with the S90.

I've been drooling over that all week. Bottom line is that I can't afford it. Good to know you recommend it. :D

I know I won't get any shots like I can with my 10D on the P&S, but at least I can get decent memories, yanno? Just not sure which is the better camera.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Hey Ian,

What's your opinion of the Canon A3100IS? f/2.7 (W) - f/5.6 (T)....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    VelvtRide wrote: »
    Hey Ian,

What's your opinion of the Canon A3100IS? f/2.7 (W) - f/5.6 (T)....

Never owned one so can't really say. On paper it's looks OK.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    I think an under $200 price target suggests that the poster needs to consider looking for used cameras. I do not think this price target and his stated objectives will converge very well.

One might get lucky and find a used G9 somewhere near that price target, but it will be slow to AF compared to a 10D. A GF-1 will meet most of the objectives except price of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    B&H has the Panasonic Lumix FX580 for 199 with free shipping (linky). A little bit older model, but F2.8 (at the wide end), image stabilized, versatile 25-125mm equivalent lens. Seems like a lot of camera for the money. thumb.gif If the JPG performance is anything like my LX3, it will be completely usable for your intended purpose.

wave.gif Velveeta
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,921 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    The Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR is a rather nice P&S that I have been looking at as a complement to my Fuji F30 and F40fd. I am very much a fan of these little cameras. The JPG files show very nice characteristics for a P&S and I am generally pleased with the results. You can find a Fujifilm Finepix F70EXR in the $200-300 range. Used copies are definitely available for under $200.

Reviews:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_f70exr_review/

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4154&review=fujifilm+finepix+f70exr

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/fujifilm/finepix-f70exr/fuji-finepix-f70exr-review.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Serendipity? http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1397336#post1397336

No involvement just happened across two posts in succession
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    The SD940IS/IXUS 120IS is $199 on amazon

as long as you recognize the limitations on a P&S, this takes decent quality pics for a p&s.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    B&H has the Panasonic Lumix FX580 for 199 with free shipping (linky). A little bit older model, but F2.8 (at the wide end), image stabilized, versatile 25-125mm equivalent lens. Seems like a lot of camera for the money. thumb.gif If the JPG performance is anything like my LX3, it will be completely usable for your intended purpose.

wave.gif Velveeta

Ohhhhhh... this looky gooooood AND in my budget!! Thanks, Michael! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2010
    I found it for $179 w/no tax and free shipping @ adorama.com. :D