Options

How I shot the car with one light

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited June 4, 2010 in Weddings
I had a lot of photographers ask how I did this. It's a lot easier than your'd think :) Full write up on my blog!

3bf3688e09277fb5db631454695cc119.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    That's a great write up and certainly something the bride and groom will enjoy for a long time.

I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of the lighting game and looking at it, I wondered how you did it. If you could shoot it with say three or four lights, would that make things easier or more difficult?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Using more than one light might help if you have the full gear to do it. One of the problems with this shot would be lighting the car properly though. You know all those fancy car ads where cars are shot properly? They probably have HUGE silks flown overhead with uber-powerfull lights running through them. So just the logistics of setting up a shot like this would be too much for me by myself.

However, you could take a shot with similar style to this with multiple lights.. here's a shot from last weekend with four flashes in frame:
    81aa24a61395964761e36e6927120b38.jpg

I do tend to like the options that you have when doing it in post though. It allows for your to sort of "paint" with flashes.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 3, 2010
    I do tend to like the options that you have when doing it in post though. It allows for your to sort of "paint" with flashes.

I agree. Plus the advantage of being able to make a unique picture with a minimal amount of gear.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Sweet Expose'~~clap.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I like how you did the shots!

You just inspired me to try something cool. Hmmm...

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr