Options

Quick question

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited July 30, 2005 in Accessories
Whith Slr's, you'd buy a UV filter for every lens right? It's like a standard that blocks harmful UV rays and at the same time protects the lens not affecting image quality. Is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 23, 2005
    Some follow the rule of thumb that a UV filter protects the lens. Others
    say it takes away from the quality of the picture.

I think they're cheap insurance against a scratch.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 23, 2005
    It's a tradeoff, if the lens costs a lot of money, you want to protect your investment. Filters do affect image quality.

As the photographer, you decide when the protection is required. You can always take the filter off, but if you leave it on, you won't forget it.

I don't have filters on the Canon kit lens or the 50mm f1.8 MkII. Those are pretty cheap lenses, so I figure if they're damaged, I'll replace them. The best lenses in my kit are worth protecting with a filter, so I do. If I was photographing something worthy of the risk, I would remove the filter. It's just that simple.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    You can get a $4 filter and a $40 filter. I have not found them to affect quality for me, except on macro lenses where the large distance from the filter to the front element of the lens may cause reflections while really close up. Under such controlled conditions I remove the filter, but when out and about all day long, I definitely use a filter as a see through lens cap.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    I figure lens hoods protect all but the widest lenses.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I figure lens hoods protect all but the widest lenses.
    If you shoot by the ocean, salt water doesn't care about hoods.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2005
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with a more expensive UV filter... not risking too much
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    I wish I could find the article I read on matters like this.
    In brief it stated that filters are old school and that they are not need in most cases do to better built.
    If you do get a scratch,it wont affect the imagene_nau.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Davidoff wrote:
    Whith Slr's, you'd buy a UV filter for every lens right? It's like a standard that blocks harmful UV rays and at the same time protects the lens not affecting image quality. Is this correct?
    I figure the lens cap can protect the lens. I won't put a cheap filter in front of expensive glass and pay the price in image quality.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2005
    I use Heliopan filters. If anyone here thinks that filters degrade the image quality, I'd love to see images before and after the use of a filter. The pictures can be taken seconds apart and results determined. If a filter shows noticeable degreadation I am sure they'd be out if business rather fast.

Anyone up to it?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 24, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I use Heliopan filters. If anyone here thinks that filters degrade the image quality, I'd love to see images before and after the use of a filter. The pictures can be taken seconds apart and results determined. If a filter shows noticeable degreadation I am sure they'd be out if business rather fast.

Anyone up to it?
    Luckyrwe,

I just posted the results of such a test:
    With a Hoya UV:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=137261&postcount=25

Without the filter:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=137264&postcount=27

I believe you can see subtle differences in Contrast and Sharpness.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Don't use em haven't for awhile unless at ocean .
    Lens cap, Lens Hood for me.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2005
    I know people use them mainly for protection, but aren't uv filters supposed to do something ( other than that )
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    i only use a filter when i need one.
    for protection, i take great care, and always use my lens hoods - they provide a lot of protection.

i'll only use a filter for protection if i'm in a windstorm, or on a windy day at the beach for example.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2005
    Davidoff wrote:
    I know people use them mainly for protection, but aren't uv filters supposed to do something ( other than that )

uv filters block out the uv light that sometimes can make a blue-y sort of haze in your pics... personally i don't use one, but i would if i were taking a pic midday and there was lots of haze present i suppose! some use a skylight 1-a filter, which adds some slight color like pink or yellow to warm up the color balance - again, the digital world, not really necessary.