Options

Beautiful outdoor wedding.....fail....

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited June 8, 2010 in Weddings
May 22nd what a beautiful time of year, 75 sunny light breeze perfect for an outdoor wedding.....not this year. If snowed, hailed and rained all day.
The couple were real troopers and did not mention it once. Luckily they booked a venue where they could move it all indoors.
Not the fanciest place basically just a park clubhouse with a bunch of chairs....it is what it is.
I got a few shots that I really love, the one of the two kids where the little girl is tying the little boys shoe, the one of the little boy and his grandmother blowing bubbles and of course who could forget the potty shot....down toward the end of the gallery....a classic :clap.
Here is the link if you are interested:
http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Wedding-galleries/Barber-Park-Wedding/12460833_ht3tF#892503300_uhgYe

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    good stuff zoomer..I think your BW shots could have used a bit more contrast but that is just my taste. haha..that potty shot was great..never seen that before! how did you manage to get that one? "Hey I have great idea for a shot..." lol
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    good stuff zoomer..I think your BW shots could have used a bit more contrast but that is just my taste. haha..that potty shot was great..never seen that before! how did you manage to get that one? "Hey I have great idea for a shot..." lol

Thanks Qarik for having a look and taking the time to comment.

It has taken me a long time to arrive at a black and white look that I like that I can do quickly.
    I call it light and airy, I want it to look expensive.
    There is a fine line with the contrast/black point on them and I probably did have a few where I missed it.

The potty shot was one where she practically had to drag me in the bathroom.
    She went trotting by and yelled over her shoulder at me "come on I am going pee". The she stopped and said "well come on". I said "really?".
    The guard who was standing by me said "what the hell, why not!".
    So I found myself in the ladies room taking pictures of 6 women in a toilet stall thumb.gif.
  • Options
    DWSDWS Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    my $.02, you worked the venue and the bridal party's colors for what you could....most importantly, the smiles were there in great abundance thumb.gif
    D800, D3s, D700, D300, D40 and a boatload of glass
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Thanks Qarik for having a look and taking the time to comment.

It has taken me a long time to arrive at a black and white look that I like that I can do quickly.
    I call it light and airy, I want it to look expensive.
    There is a fine line with the contrast/black point on them and I probably did have a few where I missed it.

The potty shot was one where she practically had to drag me in the bathroom.
    She went trotting by and yelled over her shoulder at me "come on I am going pee". The she stopped and said "well come on". I said "really?".
    The guard who was standing by me said "what the hell, why not!".
    So I found myself in the ladies room taking pictures of 6 women in a toilet stall thumb.gif.

I don't know whether to scratch my head or laugh. I think I am going to laugh, but if I were in that situation I would be.. pondering about that. haha!

She really said for you come on, she was going to pee?

nevertheless, pretty slick (well just maybe not the potty shot.. haha!)!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I checked these out earlier today but didn't have time to write a comment...

I agree that your black and white look like them need a little more ummf, a little more contrast or curves adjustments. Do you use PS for those? I have been working on my black and white for a while now and found a look i could share with you if you would like. But to each their own..if you like it then go with it.

Great shots. I loved the light airy feel of the colored photos.
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I like the last couple in the limo. They look like they had a great time despite the weather, and you captured their joy.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Hey thanks everybody.
    With the outside being so blown out the light look works much better than a more contrasty look and I wanted to be consistent, and I like that look anyway.
    I don't like the flashed look and that would have been required to not blow out the outside light.
    Point taken on the slight bump in contrast/black.

I had three different color balances working, outside light, flash and the room light, so getting the white balance consistent was interesting to say the least....so a lot more black and white in this wedding than normal.

You know not one person in the entire wedding said a word about the weather, really a positive group.

Yep, "come on I'm going to pee", that is what it was :ivar. She was a lot of fun and several straight shots were on board by then :D.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    I looked for the potty shot and couldn't find it easily... could you share which photo number it was? I wanna see her pee too! hahahaha.. (if only she knew...)
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Loved these. I think you did extremely well under the circumstances and the group was obviously a lot of fun to work with. LOVE the potty shot - and that's how it's really done :)
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    The potty shot is 242 that may change as I rearrange the galleries from time to time.
    It is about 10 from the bottom (no pun intended)mwink.gif.

Interestingly enough I had never wondered the mechanics of how the bride went potty with all that dress.....that must be the theory behind the bridesmaids rolleyes1.gif.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    The potty shot is 242 that may change as I rearrange the galleries from time to time.
    It is about 10 from the bottom (no pun intended)mwink.gif.

Interestingly enough I had never wondered the mechanics of how the bride went potty with all that dress.....that must be the theory behind the bridesmaids rolleyes1.gif.

As i once was a bride, going to the bathroom was the biggest challenge. It took my mom and two bridesmaids to help me out. I'm sure she will love that photo! :D
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Good job making it work in less than optimal conditions Z!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes