Options

TTD question...

l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited June 8, 2010 in Weddings
Long story short, I got an offer through Facebook to shoot a TTD session.. She wants "swampy/marshy" and fire. Her husband's an artist as well, so I'd like to incorporate paint in the shoot somwhere, too.

So, being in South Louisiana, a swamp isn't hard to come by - the beaches will be avoided due to BP's carelessness -so that part's easy. The question remains with the fire and the paint. How do I light her dress long enough for me to click without fear of the bride catching fire as well?? She'll most likely be in water while on fire, so she has an easy extinguisher if we need one.

Also. I was going to see if we couldn't pour wildlife safe paint into the bayou and have her look like she's swimming in it. Anybody know of wildlife safe paint?! Especially some that will hold a blob in water long enough for a few
shots?

Anybody have any experience with fire, water or paint and expensive wedding gowns??

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    How much insurance do you have? Is there health insurance paid up?

If you want to set yourself on fire that's one thing, but to set a client on fire, no way. I am guessing here you don't have any stunt or setting people on fire experience. :D

If I were to agree to photograph it I would have them sign a waver absolving me of all liability, and wouldn't offer one word of advice. You offer advise and you could be on the hook. Just shoot.

U Tube is full of videos with similar ill conceived ideas.

You could probably find some biodegradable food dye, but trying to get what ever permits you would need would be a monumental effort in futility.

If you had magic colored stuff with vitamins and nutrients that would cure all animal and plant diseases in the entire swamp for all eternity, do you really think you get anyone in the government to OK you putting in the swamp?

If so I got a deal for you..................:D

Sam
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Rather than setting the subject on fire, maybe take the picture through a large camp or bonfire in the foreground? You can add paint to the water in the swamp in PS without having to get a permit.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Long story short, I got an offer through Facebook to shoot a TTD session.. She wants "swampy/marshy" and fire. Her husband's an artist as well, so I'd like to incorporate paint in the shoot somwhere, too.

So, being in South Louisiana, a swamp isn't hard to come by - the beaches will be avoided due to BP's carelessness -so that part's easy. The question remains with the fire and the paint. How do I light her dress long enough for me to click without fear of the bride catching fire as well?? She'll most likely be in water while on fire, so she has an easy extinguisher if we need one.

Also. I was going to see if we couldn't pour wildlife safe paint into the bayou and have her look like she's swimming in it. Anybody know of wildlife safe paint?! Especially some that will hold a blob in water long enough for a few
    shots?

Anybody have any experience with fire, water or paint and expensive wedding gowns??

Fire is Easy. And I would do it in Post! If you need some fire or explosions, PM me and I'll get you a file er two.

Putting anything in the water will be considered polluting.

My suggestion would be to shoot that component in a Swimming Pool with Water based paint perhaps mixed with detergent.

So you're wanting to add paint due to his being an Artist too?

Perhaps he could use his Bride as a canvas and paint her after the Swamp Shoot?

I just cannot imagine someone wanting to be on fire....but I can understand how an idea can get ahold of us.

I want to hear how this pans out!!

ps: Also I worked in a Burn ICU as a Nurse and can tell you most of what came in were from Antics versus MVA's and the like!
    tom wise
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Post a shot when you get finished....sounds fun.
    I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole :).
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif I am interested to see what you come up with.... but it makes my red flags go up to think about fire and paint in swamps.......
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Unfortunately, you could probably set the water along the Louisiana coastline on fire right now, but I wouldn't recommend placing a client in the middle of it.

It would be a brave undertaking. I would love to see some images when it is done. Good luck!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    What is your motivation for doing this? Is it just your clients ideas? This is a big job (and a fun one that I would love to take on) but this needs a LOT of planning on your part. Have you worked with fire before? How about paint? How do these things photograph? How about a wet bride? How about a bride on fire?
    .... How do I light her dress long enough for me to click without fear of the bride catching fire as well??

Reread what you wrote here and I think the answer will come to you.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    At least you're bringing your camera. I remember when we hair sprayed my buddy's arm and then lit it on fire. Didn't even think to grab a camera first. :D

EDIT: Oh, and I assume the oil is like the hairspray... it's not going to go out without some "coaxing".

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    This has been done! I bet I know were they got the idea. This is a link to Alt F Photography's page. John Michael Cooper is a Rockstar of rockstars. many will tell you he started the whole TTD movement. Just in case the link just gets you to his main page, the image in question is #25 under "signature images" from his home page. look over all of his stuff though... this man has some kind of imagination!

I had the pleasure of hearing him speak a couple years ago. He shared and showed a lot of interesting techniques. I'm not sure if he shopped the fire in... I know he does a lot of multi shot layers to create unique lighting so I can only assume this is what happened here. I don't see a fire suiot under that dress! he seemed like a really cool guy and may respond to an email. Or if you have access to Digital Wedding Forum, you will probablyfind info over there.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Looks like I opened a can of worms here! :)

Just to answer a few questions: the bride wants 'non-urban', she says it's over done. I have access to a swamp (across the street from my best friend's house) that we can use, and she can slip inside and shower so she's not completely funky on the way home. (I promise we don't have alligators in our backyard, she lives in the legitimate backwoods) It was my idea for the fire, I'm not going to do it unless I'm absolutely sure she's not in danger. The paint was a joint idea, her husband's an artist so she wanted to incorporate that somewhere in the shot.

Her words "I'd rather a really rad picture on my wall than my dress balled up on the floor of my closet like it is now" - sounds like we'll get along great!

I'll toss ideas around with her and see what we can come up with, I might have to fake fire just so I don't risk her life.