Options

Going it Solo.

jyvisualsjyvisuals Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited June 8, 2010 in Weddings
Hey guys, I'm Jon, I'm new to the forum.

For the past 5 years i've been your second shooters and the kid that would land a wedding by himself every once in a while. Now I think It's time to give it a go on my own.

I've just made my website at www.jyvisuals.com . It's a modified template/plugins wordpress site, and I like it so far.

I'm sure I'll be on the forums a lot over the next couple of years as I orient myself towards the nitty gritty details of owning a wedding photography business, but I was hoping some of you could offer me an initial review. What do you think of my website, my portfolio, my work? How is it strong? Where is it weak?

I know many of you are leagues ahead of me at this point, so i'd appreciate some feedback if you can offer.

Thanks yall,

Jon

www.jyvisuals.com

Comments

• Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    Hi Jon,

Congrats on your new website and on taking the leap to go solo! It's always a scary thing, isn't it? Please know that I haven't been a professional photographer for long, but I am a web content writer and have been for five years, so I can help when it comes to the design of the site.

I like the white background, however your menu on the left is confusing. Someone who doesn't know to look at the web address of each link before they click will have no idea what each link is for. I think that it's really cute, but that it's confusing. The slideshow is a good idea, but again, it's difficult to tell how to change each picture because the arrows are so small and look, honestly, like a mistake that was made in the coding.

Some of the photos that I saw were great. They all seem to have the same kind of treatment - a faded one? I prefer colors that pop, but many of the spot were really good.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2010
    welcome to dgrin!

you have few good shots in your slide show but there are some I would have left out. You appear to be missing a couple of nice bridal portrait type shots imo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com