Bi-Weekly Discussion Thread: Props?

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited June 9, 2010 in Weddings
I don't usually bring in any props for weddings (except the occasional starfish if it's a beach wedding / makes a nice prop for the ring shot + I used to come in with a nice hanger for the gorgeous dresses, but after a couple weird looks - like if I would steal the hanger from the hotel, once I put it back in my bag, I scratched that idea ....), but I know other photographers do.

Do YOU come with any props (weddings / engagements) & what do you bring? Feel free to post some pics too :D :thumb

Comments

• mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Nothing for me other than if something is there and attracts my eye. I'm not a prop guy!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    Well, I have to share one of my newest toys. Though I only bring it if I know I am going to be doing a nice long bridal prep. I got it on ebay and then paid through the nose for the shipping to get it here. Other than that, I don't bring props except a few umbrellas in case of rain.

871645838_Zj6PQ-L.jpg
  • ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    I don't bring any props at all. I'd rather use what is on site than have the repetitive props each wedding. However, after this past weekend, I'm going to invest in a 3M command adhesive hook, a nice one, and bring a nice hanger with me. I hate depending on finding something to hang a dress from just for the shot I'm looking to get. I have yet to look in to them that deeply yet though. But anything will be better than the rusty sprinkler I had this weekend. Yuck! Thank goodness for PS.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    It depends if I have an idea or not. I bought a bouquet for Erik's and Nancy's and used it for Dave and Danielle's esession. Most boudoir, I would bring in the fruit.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Well, I have to share one of my newest toys. Though I only bring it if I know I am going to be doing a nice long bridal prep. I got it on ebay and then paid through the nose for the shipping to get it here. Other than that, I don't bring props except a few umbrellas in case of rain.

Sneaky Feather, this is gorgeous!!
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    On last weekend's wedding I brought a box full of props.. I'll post the pics soon!
    edited June 3, 2010
    On last weekend's wedding I brought a box full of props.. I'll post the pics soon!

cheerleader.gif
  • shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    Props!!! I love Props -- We gave this bride all of the props used in the shoot as a gift!! That way - we don't use them again.

875705578_wYXbo-M.jpg
    875735433_5bik7-M.jpg
    880951280_nyu7K-M.jpg
    880955796_L7x9K-M.jpg

http://www.backdrop-photography.com
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    img%5DI bring fabric to use at the brides house. There is often clutter everywhere when trying to shoot the shoes, invitation, jewelry, etc, so the fabric serves as my backdrop, and can also work for portraits if needed. Also, a small black velvet jewelry box (like a necklace would come in). And the wedding invitation, it that counts as a prop.3556559_hxbGc#382500604_rCTUt-A-LB3556559_hxbGc#382500604_rCTUt-A-LB
    edited June 5, 2010
    I finally got around to posting this to my site from last weekend when we brought props. Sorry I can't link the photos, you'll just have to visit this time.

http://patrickpike.com/2010/06/becky-and-jeff-ahwahnee-wedding-crazybooth.html
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I don't bring props...but I shot a wedding last night that had a bunch of parasols...interesting...but kind of a distraction too.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I finally got around to posting this

Awesome! My favorite pic is the one with the mom and dad with the opera glasses and the baby with the feather boa looking at them like they are nutso... tooo funny! It is interesting to see who ends up with the green feathered hat.

We have a photo booth company up here, but those are more like the booths you see at the mall or something. Still, we have one DJ that my assistant and I always get pics with when we work a wedding together. It is pretty darn fun even without the props. Those just take it over the top of the fun meter.
    edited June 5, 2010
    I finally got around to posting this to my site from last weekend when we brought props. Sorry I can't link the photos, you'll just have to visit this time.

http://patrickpike.com/2010/06/becky-and-jeff-ahwahnee-wedding-crazybooth.html

May I ask how you do it? Do you have an assistant shoot those ... or do you .. and how's the set-up? Sounds like a loooot of work / installation. I do love the photos, and I know many photographers offer this now, but I just can't make myself some in with all that additional stuff rolleyes1.gif
    edited June 5, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    May I ask how you do it? Do you have an assistant shoot those ... or do you .. and how's the set-up? Sounds like a loooot of work / installation. I do love the photos, and I know many photographers offer this now, but I just can't make myself some in with all that additional stuff rolleyes1.gif

It's extra work for sure, but it's also extra pay :) I know if it was my own wedding, I would happily pay for it.

We use a Lastolite Hilite background with one alienbee in the background. Then I use one alienbee into an umbrella as my main light. I like to shoot really stopped down so I don't have to worry about focus too much. For this wedding, we shot with the camera tethered into Lightroom and printed right on the spot. It was a great setup, but as you can see with this much equipment I have to have a second shooter.
    edited June 9, 2010
    It's extra work for sure, but it's also extra pay :) I know if it was my own wedding, I would happily pay for it.

We use a Lastolite Hilite background with one alienbee in the background. Then I use one alienbee into an umbrella as my main light. I like to shoot really stopped down so I don't have to worry about focus too much. For this wedding, we shot with the camera tethered into Lightroom and printed right on the spot. It was a great setup, but as you can see with this much equipment I have to have a second shooter.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love & it's definitely more creative than the usual, boring table shots, I just can't make myself do it rolleyes1.gif

... and I bet it's pretty sweet additional money too thumb.gif