Bi-Weekly Discussion Thread: Posed photos

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited April 23, 2012 in Weddings
How do you guys handle the part where you take photos of *just* the couple?

Here are a couple points to think of, but don't feel like you need to answer all the questions :D

• Do you guys pose them / or are you a candid shooter?
• Where do you get your inspiration from?
• Do you find yourself shooting the same poses over & over again? Or do you try coming up with new poses every time?
• Do you have a "signature" pose, and if so, would you mind sharing a pic? :D
• How do you keep the groom "entertained"? (haha :ear)
• How long is that part of the day?
• Do you scope out the area / venue beforehand?
• Wanna share your favorite (posed) pic?

:lynnma

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Wow...that's a mindful Angie! :D Rather than try to answer each and every question, allow me to share my approach (which is possibly similar to everyone else).

I always scope out where they are to be married, adjoining areas/settings before hand, then start brain storming. Finding out how much time they can give me by themselves is a plus as well.....the when, the where gets the creative juices flowing. I take into consideration the lighting at that particular time of day and how I want to light it (I often will drag along a beauty dish).

My inspiration comes from viewing others photos....thousands of them....I don't have a benchmark for posing per se but do see some re-occuring concepts. Having a place to start is key. Look books are great and often my smartphone has lots of poses readily available....once you get into the swing of things then it's easy to stretch out and do something original.

Sometimes ideas flow and they work great. Othertimes it's like pulling teeth as the couple feel unnatural...this is where my bunny suit comes in :D:D...no really, it's more of interacting with them, loosening them up...getting some playful actions from them (why I highly recommend e-sessions).

The last few weddings haven't allowed for any real time for those "portfolio" type shots but instead the formal stuff...frustrating, but they like them.

Here's a few examples...nothing to burn down the house but hey...you take what you can.

659224865_ahFdN-X2-1.jpg

659241407_pTz6i-XL-1.jpg

859143528_yFM8a-XL.jpg

Then there are those "special" times..when everything fires on all cylinders:

276653053_Jokm4-X2.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    My goodness. Love the car in the 3rd pic. Did you get any other shots of that one with the couple? iloveyou.gif
    edited June 9, 2010
    Tanks Angie.....I do have many more but all pretty much the same poses. She has a nerve disorder and wind, fabric...basically anything touching her is difficult...that day was quite windy, so we ran out..took a few, then back inside. I am going to shoot with them again next month for some real creative stuff..they like to dress up....we'll use the Mustang and they have a motorcycle...you can just guess where I'm going with that....Laughing.gif....If I could put her in the trunk, you'd better believe I'd do it :D:D

Here's one with some dark funky processing:

864019710_9jLgq-X2.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Swartzy wrote: »
    She has a nerve disorder and wind, fabric...basically anything touching her is difficult...that day was quite windy, so we ran out..took a few, then back inside.

Ugh, ohhhhhh :uhoh
    Swartzy wrote: »
    I am going to shoot with them again next month for some real creative stuff..they like to dress up....we'll use the Mustang and they have a motorcycle...you can just guess where I'm going with that....Laughing.gif....

That'll be a Dave meets SneakyFeather shoot rolleyes1.gif CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE!! iloveyou.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Ugh, ohhhhhh :uhoh

That'll be a Dave meets SneakyFeather shoot rolleyes1.gif CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE!! iloveyou.gif
    SO FUNNY that you mention this...
    On Saturdays wedding (Kaye-leigh and Sean) very near the hay bale there was some ground that had been dug up and then the dirt replaced in a little patch of this grassy part... the shovel was there and everything... it was ALL I COULD DO not to do something that suggested a "so I married an ax murderer" theme... but they were not the right couple to go for it, but it was so tempting to ask. It really looked like a shallow grave.....
    edited June 10, 2010
    SO FUNNY that you mention this...
    On Saturdays wedding (Kaye-leigh and Sean) very near the hay bale there was some ground that had been dug up and then the dirt replaced in a little patch of this grassy part... the shovel was there and everything... it was ALL I COULD DO not to do something that suggested a "so I married an ax murderer" theme... but they were not the right couple to go for it, but it was so tempting to ask. It really looked like a shallow grave.....

Now THAT would have been way cool rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    I just assisted another photographer this week and realized once again how little of a plan I actually have when I shoot. This photog (who does REALLY good work) had most of the locations / shots / lighting / poses we were going to take mapped out in his head before we got the bride and groom. Not sure why, but I hardly ever do that.

Most of my work is just about looking around our current location and finding the light and lines that hit my eye. Once I find it, I put them into the the right spot and see how they interact. I strongly believe that a couples natural pose is going to look the most fitting for them, but often times the camera makes them nervous so I have to help. From here I just move them around until they look right to my eye. I don't have set poses, or set photographs, and I really don't like set locations.

On the other hand, I have a running mental list of "things that have worked in the past" and that plays a huge role in what I am willing to try on a wedding day. This is my guide, but even then I like to try new things all the time (which may or may not end up on my mental list). It may sound a bit shocking to my clients, but I really have no idea in my head what I am going to do on a wedding day. I trust my creative instincts.
  • nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    Thanks for this discussion. This is one of my MAJOR problems when it comes to shooting a wedding. The last thing they seem (or should I say the groom) to want to do is spend 30 mins on photos. I try to get it done in 10 mins tops, which might be one of my major problems.

In our pre event meetings they always seem to want to spend the time together, but the bar. friends, family always seem to get in the way.

Something that has worked for me in the past is asking them to go for a 5 min walk, where ever they want to go. Hold hands, look at each other, have a conversation. They always seem to be the best photos at the end of the day. But that posed portrait seems to make mom and dad happy ne_nau.gif

I love those Bride and Grooms that want to do formals before the ceremony...they rock!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • chuckdee1chuckdee1 Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    That works for me as well Nicole. When doing posed, I try and be as creative as possible...I'm not a fan at all of the stand and smile shots.