Options

ship the prints to the pro, please

sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited June 11, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I don't know if the UserVoice survey system is still the best way to throw suggestions into the ring, so I thought I'd post here too.

I think SmugMug really needs to look at giving the pro the option of where a customer's prints ship to. I'm glad the customer provides the ship to address, but we should be able to override or intercept that and have the prints first delivered to us. That allows us the option of final QC, possible repackaging in our own brand, and the ability to personalize the delivery by including a personal thank you or the like in the package, or better yet, a face-to-face delivery of their beautiful prints.

This is important on so many levels... the ability to get yourself in contact with your customer again is reinforcement for the relationship, and an open doorway toward additional business.

Furthermore, this also allows us to reinforce our brand and remove potential confusion from our customers. We pros LOVE the fact that we're backed up by Bay Photo or EZ Prints... but my customer had a session with Stephen Skoutas Photography... why are they getting shipments from San Francisco? Sure, it is easy to explain, but it is even easier to not have to explain it in the first place.

Also, these labs (understandably) have published pricing that is 3 clicks away. I don't think customers who are curious enough to research are going to like paying $X.XX for a print that is $0.19 at EZ Prints.

Assuming this link works, here's the related UserVoice link if others agree and would like to add to the vote count:
http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/331556-allow-products-to-be-shipped-to-photographer-for-p?ref=title

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    sskoutas wrote:
    Also, these labs (understandably) have published pricing that is 3 clicks away. I don't think customers who are curious enough to research are going to like paying $X.XX for a print that is $0.19 at EZ Prints.

We love the idea, I've replied on the feature system.

But do not for one minute think that clients don't know what prints cost to make. They do.

They are buying what YOU PUT on that paper, not the paper from the lab. When I go to the auto mechanic, I know that the brakes only cost a few dollars but I'm expecting to pay a lot more for him to do the brake job.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    But do not for one minute think that clients don't know what prints cost to make. They do.

They are buying what YOU PUT on that paper, not the paper from the lab. When I go to the auto mechanic, I know that the brakes only cost a few dollars but I'm expecting to pay a lot more for him to do the brake job.
    +1
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    We love the idea, I've replied on the feature system.

I follow your logic, Andy, and I know you're right for many customers. I do, however, think that a lot of customers know what prints cost from CVS or Wal-Mart or Snapfish. I don't think they have a clue what a print from a pro lab costs, and I think they assume that added value / added quality comes at some unknown added cost.

That said, they could find out easily.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    sskoutas wrote:
    I follow your logic, Andy, and I know you're right for many customers. I do, however, think that a lot of customers know what prints cost from CVS or Wal-Mart or Snapfish. I don't think they have a clue what a print from a pro lab costs, and I think they assume that added value / added quality comes at some unknown added cost.
    No, I really don't think they think your higher price stems from some higher cost, that your photo paper and photo processing is more expensive than from CVS. I really do think your customer is smart enough to know why you charge substantially more than 29 cents for a 4x6 color glossy. :) I don't think any of them think a pro-lab 4x6 costs severals of dollars.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    sskoutas wrote: »
    I don't know if the UserVoice survey system is still the best way to throw suggestions into the ring, so I thought I'd post here too.

I think SmugMug really needs to look at giving the pro the option of where a customer's prints ship to. I'm glad the customer provides the ship to address, but we should be able to override or intercept that and have the prints first delivered to us. That allows us the option of final QC, possible repackaging in our own brand, and the ability to personalize the delivery by including a personal thank you or the like in the package, or better yet, a face-to-face delivery of their beautiful prints.

This is important on so many levels... the ability to get yourself in contact with your customer again is reinforcement for the relationship, and an open doorway toward additional business.

Furthermore, this also allows us to reinforce our brand and remove potential confusion from our customers. We pros LOVE the fact that we're backed up by Bay Photo or EZ Prints... but my customer had a session with Stephen Skoutas Photography... why are they getting shipments from San Francisco? Sure, it is easy to explain, but it is even easier to not have to explain it in the first place.

Assuming this link works, here's the related UserVoice link if others agree and would like to add to the vote count:
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/331556-allow-products-to-be-shipped-to-photographer-for-p?ref=title

I'm all for this as well!
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2010
    sskoutas wrote: »

It is.

Much of this is addressed in our branding release from just a week ago :)

http://releasenotes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/05/13/thank-you-prints-stickers-event-marketing-and-bug-fixes/

And I can also say, "stay tuned" :)
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    I have just read the release notes, help and thread on 'Personal Delivery'. Based on what I have read it is my understanding that once you sign up for the feature, it is on all the time, unless you turn it off in an individual gallery or the customer checkout. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted this condition.

If the above is correct, and this is where my two cents comes in, would it not be better to just globally offer the feature, and let the Pro turn it on or off in the gallery, with the default being off. In my mind this would eliminate some confusion and a step or two. ne_nau.gif
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2010
    BELphotos wrote: »
    I have just read the release notes, help and thread on 'Personal Delivery'. Based on what I have read it is my understanding that once you sign up for the feature, it is on all the time, unless you turn it off in an individual gallery or the customer checkout. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted this condition.

If the above is correct, and this is where my two cents comes in, would it not be better to just globally offer the feature, and let the Pro turn it on or off in the gallery, with the default being off. In my mind this would eliminate some confusion and a step or two. ne_nau.gif

No - like most of our stuff, you can have it sitewide, or gallery specific. So, if most of your stuff goes direct to your customers, but you want a specific gallery to have Personal Delivery, then you say 'no' in your control panel (default) and 'yes' in gallery settings thumb.gif
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    No - like most of our stuff, you can have it sitewide, or gallery specific. So, if most of your stuff goes direct to your customers, but you want a specific gallery to have Personal Delivery, then you say 'no' in your control panel (default) and 'yes' in gallery settings thumb.gif

Ahaaaa!! (light bulb goes on) Now that I actually did it and filled in the form. I now see the light. Thanks. clap.gif
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"