Options

Take 2 - NSFW

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 12, 2010 in Go Figure
I have been so busy lately that I have had no time to shoot. However, I did find a little time to go back and reprocess a few of my shots. Taking a break and going back through some of my shots, I noticed a few things I didn't like. For one, I think I got carried away with some of the tools I have in my digital darkroom.

Here is a fresh look at some of my previous work. Would love to know what you think.

882366370_rufx6-L.jpg

882365610_BXTbc-XL.jpg

3 Focus is a bit soft on this one but I liked the shot
882366819_dpEpq-L.jpg

882367011_cWbZn-XL.jpg

882367302_Tmihu-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    codiac2600codiac2600 Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    Hmmmm..........

I'm not sure about this series and for a few reasons.

The first image is well exposed, sharp and well saturated but the strange twist to the camera perspective makes her look awkward. My favorite angle for shooting boudoir style photography is having them lay down as such but shoot closer on their level and not from above like I'm standing over them. Gives it a completely different mood IMO. Also her arms running downward along her side doesn't fit and might have worked better if she rested her head on one hand and the other laid gently over her chest playing with her shoulder strap or the center of the lingerie.

Second image the awkward tilt is gone, but the lone stare from the subject into the camera isn't satisfying... I feel like she is just looking at you because you're taking the photo. Try the same pose, have her arch her back a bit (removes the slight tummy) right arm up and looking over her right shoulder away from you.

Third image suffers from one of the least flattering effects which is a straight limb. Her right arm is so straight and takes away from all the lovely curves of her body and the couch. Maybe have her bend her right leg and allow her to rest her hand on her thigh. A little more sensual IMO. The same rule in #2 applies here where I'd prefer to see her looking away from the photographers or even closed eye. Imagine this... If you want your subject to look sensual you have to make her believe in something sensual. The pose here just looks like she is getting comfy to watch a movie and the clothing just doesn't fit. Now switch it up and have her pose as if she is thinking of you in that "way" and see how her natural body language begins to perform. Most of the time posing to get the subject looking like such involves limbs close into the body and hands and especially facial expression are key to the finished look.

The fourth image is a lovely portrait yet suffers from the deep look into the camera and here takes a bit away.

The fifth image is a better shooting angle/perspective but I'm at a loss for the processing in it and am distracted by the background. Key notes on the pose to add sensual effect would be to move her right hand below her chin and not on the side of the face. When the hand is at the side of the face it conveys boredom or tiredness. The leg twist behind her is always a favorite as it conveys a sense of playfulness which a cute smile or half smile would have brought more of that feeling out. Maybe try moving the light further at an angle and bounce in some soft light to fill in harsher shadows to get a mood going.
    -Chris :)
    http://simplyphotostudio.com
    http://decayedbeauty.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2010
    Chris,

Thank you for such detailed feedback. Lots of great information for someone still struggling with posing and most everything else that comes with this type of photography. Your comments about the angle I shot from in number one are well received. This is actually a shot I took in portrait that I wasn't too happy with and I tried rotating it to landscape to see if it worked better. Sounds like it didn't. I get the comments about the straight limbs too. Something I've read many times but often forget about when in the act of shooting. Have to keep those basics in mind. The last shot had a lot of junk in the background, which I did a quick and crappy job of cloning out. Have to redo that or maybe darken the objects in the background a bit so they are not so distracting. As for the model, she too is a beginner.... actually my beautiful wife helping me practice. I think I need to get her to relax a bit and have fun with it.

Other than the last one, how's the post work? I tried only to touch up the small and few blemishes she has so as not to go overboard with the skin smoothing. I also held back on the sharpening. I did add a bit of contrast through curve adjustments and I burned the background just a tad to give more emphases on the subject.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2010
    Your post work is always very very good. If I wanted to truly nitpick I would point out the veining on her breasts in image #2, but honestly that is just being an ass and trying to find something that you missed. I only notice it because one I'm a guy and sadly my eyes travel and noticed it after a second pass of the image. You couldn't do more in post as everything from sharpness, color, saturation and skin color are spot on.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    It makes it nice that your Wife participates with you in this. Perhaps she will again, then relax and enjoy it too. That way you both can take the time to pose better.

First thing that came to me in this series though was the color palette. You limited it, and I think that always helps. Too many times I see more color than needed and each time I am distracted by it, but not in these. This series has a pleasing tone and palette. That splash of red from the shoes just adds to the photo.

ENjoy~
    tom wise
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    Here's what I think.
    You are a lucky man to have a beautiful wife that would allow her photos to be posted on the internet. You are also a talented photographer. Yes there are few flaws but your shots are still fantastic!
    #5...WOW!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Thanks for the nice comments. And yes... I am very lucky. My wife and I completed our 18th wedding anniversary back in April and tomorrow will be 21 years that we've been a couple. She really is great. She really is a great friend and wife.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    OK, let me ask you first, what is your preference on this: no comments, or non-flattering ones? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2010
    Any and all comments are welcome of course. I post here to learn Nik so if you have some words of wisdom, please share, gloves off. I can take it... I hope ;)

My Smug Site
  • Options
    topazdantopazdan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 5, 2010
    I am new to this board. I will be back again because I really like the detailed critique (in a non-threatening way). That's the way we learn.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2010
    I really like these... but I do think the light is a bit hot in some of the shots. Particularly #1 and #3.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2010
    OK, here you go (and sorry for being late - been *really* busy)
    • thumb.gifgreat interior
    • thumb.gifsexy/appropriate/nice looking interior/outfit/shoes/model
    • thumb.gif nice variety of angles
    • rolleyes1.gif lighting is blah
    • rolleyes1.gif model is not engaged.
      This will happen even more the more you shoot the same model - unless she learns HOW to engage or somehow would acquire a vested interest in the results. Thus far all I see is an obedient spouse, not somebody bursting in exhilaration of a "glamour shoot"
    • rolleyes1.gif there is no story behind any of the pictures except "look, I got a pretty lingerie-clad female to pose for me"
    • rolleyes1.gif poses look forced or non-involving
    • rolleyes1.gif go easy on the barby-brush, especially the last one
    • rolleyes1.gif I know you have limited lighting capabilities mwink.gif, but, man, "boudoir" is about mystery and shadows, not the full lit room. Flags and gobos won't cost you much, but will be crucial to your light shaping abilities.
    HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    OK, here you go (and sorry for being late - been *really* busy)

[*]rolleyes1.gif I know you have limited lighting capabilities mwink.gif, but, man, "boudoir" is about mystery and shadows, not the full lit room. Flags and gobos won't cost you much, but will be crucial to your light shaping abilities.
    Nikolai

Boudoir means a room where a woman can be alone... it has nothing to do with shadows and mystery. Typically this meant the bedroom or a powder room. An area in which they would tend to shed some clothing or act the least proper.

Too many people stretch this to photographing women in the living room, garage, kitchen... that is technically pinup :)

The OP never suggested these were boudoir so I'm not sure that the suggestions work if that lighting scheme was even the true definition of boudoir, which it truly isn't. Natural light would be the most correct honestly, but in this day and age it's however the person designed the image in their mind.