Options

Tripod Necessary?

BunderfeldBunderfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited June 21, 2010 in Accessories
Hi everyone, these are very exciting times for me, as 3 people have responded to my request for a "Photography Buddy" and now I'm trying to "gear up" in anticipation of being able to go out and shoot.

I have been reading about the necessity of a Tripod, what different sort of Tripods there are, construction materials, heads, legs and all that stuff. But now I have a question, that on the surface seems a pretty simple answer, but I want to be certain that I'm not spending money on anything I really don't need.

I know everyone will say a Tripod is a necessity, and I want to be sure that's still the same answer for the situation I'm in. I'm a hobbyist, and have only been doing this hobby for a year now; I have a NIKON D5000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses (both have auto-focus and anti-jitter and of course are NIKOR). I took up Photography as a Hobby because I'm disabled with Chronic Pain through my Back, Neck and Shoulders; the only way I survive this pain is to take high doses of Pain Meds (the controlled substance kind). I'm not looking to make this a Profession or even get rich off this, I'm wanting to shoot because I enjoy the creativity aspect of Photography. Do I want to do the best I can? That's a given with me, I'm a perfectionist, but at the same time, being a perfectionist can be a draw back when it comes to thinking you need all the toys to be able to enjoy your Hobby.

So, knowing all this about me and my situation, what do you think? Is a Tripod something that I would use, and if so, I would love to hear your recommendations as to which Tripod you think would be good for me. One thing I do have my mind made up on is the "Head" type. I understand that the "ball" head is harder to get used to, but once you do, it's excellent, so I figure, start with the ball and get used to it, then you don't have to learn it later :) So, a "ball head" is what I would go with if I go a Tripod, but what about the rest?

Thanks for your input, it's hard to express how grateful I am for people taking the time to share the knowledge they have so I can be a better Photographer.

Bob

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    Hi Bob. A tripod is simply a tool of photography. It is a tool which helps to reduce camera shake or to provide a level platform, or sometimes it's used for specialized techniques such as allowing multiple images which overlap to provide stitched panoramic photos, or for long-exposure photography.

To some degree the stabilization of your lenses is similar to the stabilization of a tripod, but the tripod is much more stable in practice. The fact that you don't know if you need the tripod or not may indicate that you don't yet need one.

Remember too that tripods are generally larger tools and may be heavier than you are accustomed to handle.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    yes a tridpod is a necessity.......for one....your under the influence of narcotics and that in it self can make
    holding a camera steady a chore.....you have chronic back and neck problems.....the tripod will get the
    weight off your body and on to the pod.......now since you have these issues....you really need a carbon fibre pod.....
    i would suggest looking at non mainstram brands (I gave used Giottos pods for years and love them) to hold won cost...but still you want a pod that will support at the very least
    3 pound more than your current set up to keep things stabilized so if the D5000+55-200 weighs in at 9 pounds then get a
    pod that will hold a min of 12 pounds........
    Also look at roller bags or cases so you do not have to carry the gear but can roll it like a suitcase...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited June 14, 2010
    If you don't have a tripod, then there are some shots that you won't be able to take. The same is true of many other pieces of equipment--flash, filters, radio triggers, specialty lenses, etc. Nevertheless, there will still be countless images that you can take. The question is, are you feeling limited by not having one? I have a decent one with a good ball-head but I don't really use it all that often, mainly because I don't like lugging the extra weight around--even the very expensive carbon-fiber models weigh a few pounds when you add the weight of the head. But when I know I want to do serious panorama or HDR or night shots or certain kinds of indoors shots, I am certainly glad I have one.

As to what sort to get--do a search in the Accessories forum and you will find many helpful discussions.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    The thing I like about having a tripod is that I can take multiple shots with different settings to try things out. So at times having a tripod is a helpful tool, but as everyone has said you have to decide what you are wanting to accomplish.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    it depends on what you intend to shoot imo.

landscape stuff? yes
    weddings/events? probably not
    wildlife? perhaps
    street shooting? no
    just general walk around stuff? no
    family stuff? no (unless you wanna be in the shot)

What kind of stuff do you plan to shoot?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    So much helpful advice!
    This is the reason why I like these forums. So many people offer their knowledge and help, it's really quite amazing considering today's world.

After listening to everyone, and reading up on some other topics about Photography that interest me, I've decided it probably would be best if I have a Tripod.

My decision is based in part by the idea that I want to be able to "mess around" with settings on the same shot, so I can begin to better understand what everything means. Yes, I understand the facts of the matter, turn this, more light, turn that, more exposure. I am, unfortunately, one of those types that do better at hands-on experience then just understanding the facts. When I was learning to code in college, I didn't do all that well at first. We started with book work, about 2 weeks worth, before we even were allowed to get close to the Computer Lab. I understood the facts alright, but once I was able to actually get into the Lab and program, I excelled and became the top grade in that years class. The same will be true for me with Photography, once I'm able to have a "stable" platform to take multiple pictures with, with different settings, I'll be able to "see" the different ideas many of the Tutor's have spoken about in the online Tutorials; then I can truly appreciate the idea's behind the facts.

I also would like to get into the practice of HDR Photo's. The good one's I've seen amaze me, and I want to be able to give that a try as well.

So, Tripod yes, now which will be the best? Like I said, I do want the BALL head, and we know by previous postings I need to look for at least something that handles 12 pounds (is that 1 stone?). I am also wondering about growth with my Tripod. Can they be upgraded to handle more weight? If not, should I think about going a bit higher for growth potential? Of course, I would appreciate your insight into this decision as well. I'm thinking Aluminum will be my choice of construction material, and I will want something sturdy, as here in the MidWest of the US, we do get some very windy days, it's better to be prepared then sorry.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their years of experience and knowledge and hope you don't mind me asking again for your assistance.

Bob
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    to be honest, the time to get a tripod is shortly after you WISH you had a tripod...otherwise, it will simply gather dust.

When your photography grows such that you can clearly see why you need a tripod, and when, then you will have a better idea of which one, what features you need and any other accessories.

Everyone says to buy the most expensive, highest end tripod you can afford, and will send you to a web posting that discusses this same point. In my opinion, this is much like buying a 16yr old a Porsche 911. Without experience, it is just a cool car, and one that is likely to be found in the ditch more often than the right hand lane. I think you are better off buying an inexpensive tripod and thru use, learn what you really need and why, then spending top dollar buying the tripod you need, vs one everyone else wants.

My advice is once you figure you need a tripod, and you have a clue as to how you are going to use it, then either buy a fairly basic one or better yet borrow a tripod, and try it out. Experience set up, experience repositioning, adjusting, putting your camera on and off. Try macro shots, low shots, shots on uneven ground.

All of these will teach you what to look for: ball head or pan? twist or lever lock? Quick release or not? L bracket? Carbon or aluminum? Tall or short? center column, expandable center column or no column? etc
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I agree with many previous posts about the need for a good tripod depending on the type of photography in which you are interested. I have a very cheap tripod that I was given many years ago, and to be honest, I absolutely detest using it. It has built-in a pan/tilt head, and making small adjustments is brutal. I turn it a bit, release my hand, and it shifts. I wouldn't expect it to hold up to anything more than a gentle breeze, and therefore I pretty much just use it inside. That all said, it is as they say, better than nothing. I am currently in lust mode for a good tripod, but I don't feel I need an absolute top of the line model. I've put together a wish list that includes my "if someone else pays for it" as well as my "realistic since I'll be paying" tripod. The high priced model would have Gitzo carbon fiber legs and a Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead, and with accessories like an L-plate would probably cost something like $1500. My "realistic" tripod has Giottos aluminum legs and a Kirk BH-3 ballhead, and would run something like $600 with various accessories. Since I'm a hobbyist at best, I think that will be more than sufficient.

I think cmason has a pretty good idea in that you may want to start off with something less expensive and see what your needs are, but in my experience, a really cheap tripod is so awful that you just won't want to use it unless absolutely necessary. You need to consider the load you'll put on it, how tall it needs to be (I'm 6'5" and there aren't a ton of legs that get that high without having to extend a center column), how many leg sections, etc, etc. I suggest reading at least this article by Thom Hogan about support systems. There are many other articles and tutorials out there, but this is a good article to get you a good idea of what's out there and what there is to consider, even though it's several years old and the part numbers he references aren't necessarily valid anymore.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    to be honest, the time to get a tripod is shortly after you WISH you had a tripod...otherwise, it will simply gather dust.

When your photography grows such that you can clearly see why you need a tripod, and when, then you will have a better idea of which one, what features you need and any other accessories.

Everyone says to buy the most expensive, highest end tripod you can afford, and will send you to a web posting that discusses this same point. In my opinion, this is much like buying a 16yr old a Porsche 911.

"SNIP"

well not everyone....that is why I suggested Giottos and other non mainstream tridpods....ebay is full of them ...that is how I ran across Giottos many years ago.......

!2 lbs was just an example....the reason I suggested it like I did and I have no idea how much your camera and lens weighs was to give you an idea of how I buy things like a tripod.....my Giottos will handle close to 25 lbs. which none of my current set gets close to.....however I know that by being able to handle that amount of weight it is extremely stable with any of my lenses attached to my D300..........

I did suggest carbon fiber as to get YOU the lightest and most stable pod that is available for you in your health condition.........my pod is aluminum and about 3 lbs. heaver than it would probably be if it were carbon fiber......mine is also a 4 section which is a must for me so I can backpack it and not have 1-1.5 feet of pod sticking above my backpack......it is also a must so I can stick it in a suitcase when I fly.....the 4 secion pod will fit with room to spare in a normal suitcase from corner to corner diagonally.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    I suggest reading at least this article by Thom Hogan about support systems.

It is this very article that gets posted everytime this topic comes up, and it always seems to suggest/support getting the $1000 tripod because otherwise, you will spend too much!

My point is exactly what both Art and cab are saying: you don't have to, and likely should not, just go out and buy the Gitzo/RSS solution because everyone said it was the best, because, it needs to be the best for you. This also why we don't all drive Mercedes, Bentley's etc (not to mention cost...again, my point)

Don't read that article thinking you need to spend lots of money to get something good. You do not. But what you need to spend that money on is something experience will guide. For me it is the following: lightweight but strong, folds to less than 20", removable column, ball head with Acra Swiss like plate. This is because I use my tripod often when traveling for business, so it must fit in my carryon rollaboard, and since i carry it around, it must be light. So I have an Induro carbon, with the mid size Kirk ballhead. L plate will be a later purchase. After "living with' a cheap Velbon aluminum tripod for 8 years, I know exactly what was missing, and what I needed as well.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2010
    I agree totally with CMASON here...............Here is a link to a Giottos that will give room for growth and not break you...hold almost 18lbs which should do very good for you...........I also use a Giottos P-Pod .....check out the links to see what I use........it may not be at all what you need but it is the inexpensive but very much quality route
    P - POD = a mono-pod that has 3 detachable screw in "feet" so it stands much like a tripod.......

Good Luck with your Quest........

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I think i paid 215$ for Feisol 3401 tripod and 100$ Cullmann 30nm ball head... whole setup is around 1.6kg and easy to carry around. Apart from so many advantages to photos i also like the fact it take weight of your gear so you can relax, i realized that when i was shooting macros in field i almost broke my wrist due to weight (camera+lens+flash) but when i used monopod it was so relaxing and peaceful!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    cmason wrote: »
    It is this very article that gets posted everytime this topic comes up, and it always seems to suggest/support getting the $1000 tripod because otherwise, you will spend too much!

Point well taken. IMO, Thom's article is aimed at very serious enthusiasts at least, aspiring or practicing pros at best. But it still has a lot of information that I think is worthwhile. I understand Thom's progression of what the "typical" photographer goes through, and I can see how that happens. So I do basically agree that one should buy a nice-ish tripod, but I don't think you need to go with the top-of-the-line stuff, as fun as that might be (if one can afford it). I would not want to recommend someone buy a bottom of the barrel tripod like I have just so they could live with it and determine for themselves that they hate it. That's all I was saying, because it seemed to me that you were proposing getting something very low-end first and upgrading later. I wouldn't wish a year or two of using what I have on anyone, even if it taught them a valuable lesson about what they want in the future. OTOH, if you're not sure that photography is for you, I can also totally understand not shelling out serious money for something that you won't use, so... YMMV.

Anyway, when I first read that article, it made me think a lot about specifications of tripods that I'd never previously considered. I always had thought of a tripod simply as a set of legs to hold up a camera. I was absolutely shocked to learn that a good support system could be easily over $1000. Since then, I've taken what I learned starting with that article and looked for less expensive alternatives, and while I would love a real pro setup like he references, I have learned that there are many other choices out there, and I think I would be more than happy with my proposed Giottos/Kirk setup. I know what I don't want, having used my cheap POS tripod. And I know what I can't afford, so I think I have a good compromise that I will be very happy with.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2010
    I suggest reading at least this article by Thom Hogan about support systems.

I wish I'd had seen that article when I first started out. I would have saved at about $350 instead of trying out one crappy tripod/head after another. I finally removed my head from my butt and future proofed myself(still trying to figure out a way to the 500L) with the Gitzo 3541LS and Markins M20. It'll be more than I ever need but I'll never give it a second thought in any conditions.

Should everyone go out and get one? Absolutely not, but when I'm on a cliff in some decent wind overlooking the ocean taking pics of seals and the 300mm 2.8L IS hood is acting like a sail, I'm confident it'll stay put.

On another forum I visit this is the most recommended set of legs IIRC. I've also read good things of the Benro line so you may wan to check into that while your at it.

Good luck sorting it out.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I think recomending a tripod that costs half your camera may be too much for you. I know for myself, I have a nice Manfroto tripod and mono pod, but I have some older, cheaper ones too. I'd recommend looking at Velbon tripods, I picked up some for $100 each which we use at work, we use the head in our smart van for pictures (and it's stood up to over 20,000 pictures in less than a year - so in my book, it's decent.) You can add stability to a tripod by putting a weight on the tripod as well, some use their camera bags.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Manfroto tripod, love my ball head (also have a gimble head) - but it cost me $450, which is half what your camera cost.

I would however recommend looking at tripods with a removable plate, then you can just attach the tripod plate to the camera, then the camera attaches quickly on and off the tripod. I have quick release plates on all my cameras and matching heads on my mono pod and tripod, I even have plates on my 70-200 and my Sigma Bigma - and a quick release on my flash bracket.

I would also recomend going somewhere to look the tripod, with your pain and back issues, usability may be important. I know my Manfroto quick releases have some pretty small parts and I could just see my own father having issues with it, so I'd definately get it from somewhere with a good return policy or goto the store and try it out.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    These are all very valuable comments and pieces of information you guys are sending me, I appreciate every one of them.

I probably need to clarify my position here, I shall never be hanging from a cliff, over the Ocean, taking Photo's of Seal Pups, or anything else for that matter. Not that I wouldn't enjoy the experience, but my physical limitations wouldn't allow it. The only thing I would be doing is screaming from the agonizing pain I was in, so, no cliff hanging for me.

I've been going back and forth from the Tripod and the Monopod. The Monopod appeals to me simply because it would be easiest for me to attach to my camera and walk with, my fear is though, that I wouldn't have the stability to take MACRO shots or those really cool shots of things flying thru the air and only the subject is in focus. Not sure how stable it would be indoors, as I would have to be taking pictures indoors during the winter months. The Tripod on the other hand, is more stable, and allows me to practice and perfect those cool shots, but is going to be harder to setup and use quickly, not to mention the weight difference.

So, I'm probably at this point, leaning towards a Tripod, and a ball head. I know the ball heads are more difficult to use at first, but I'm confident that I can spend more then ample time learning and perfecting it's systems.

As for price, you are all correct in what you say. While I would rather not spend $1000 for a Tripod and Head, I don't want to lowball this either and get something that is absolutely worthless in the field, if I ever get in the field.

I'm going to go back, read the articles mentioned and research the models everyone has suggested, and see if I can't find something that I think would be good for me. I promise, before making any purchases though, I will run them by the group, with my reasons why I think that would be the best purchase for me, and let you guys smack me or hug me :)

Bob
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Bunderfeld wrote: »
    …The Monopod appeals to me simply because it would be easiest for me to attach to my camera and walk with, my fear is though, that I wouldn't have the stability to take MACRO shots or those really cool shots of things flying thru the air and only the subject is in focus. Not sure how stable it would be indoors, as I would have to be taking pictures indoors during the winter months…

Just a quick comment: I have both, but find that I make much more use of the monopod for just general everyday photography. As you point out, it is easier to carry and as far as stability goes, don't forget that there are monopod techniques that you might do well to make yourself familiar with; there are many web-based articles on effective use of a monopod, which includes things like using your legs/body as a brace to stabilize the monopod.

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    I have both monopod and tripod, but don't consider them to be 'competitors'. They each have their use. A monopod is no substitute for a tripod when you need a tripod...it just won't help in long exposures, slow shutter speed apps, in creating pano's or any other application that requires precise camera control.

A monopod is useful to help steady a long lens, and will provide some measure to clarity in using longer lenses, especially where you want critically sharp shots where eliminating some movement helps rather than hurts. Mostly I use the monopod to help keep me from getting tired.