Options

TWiP Episode really got me thinking

hammonsshammonss Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 17, 2010 in Cameras
I currently carry the kit below when I'm going on vacation or out to a party or kids event (Sports, Plays, etc...) You don't need to analyze the individual items, they're mainly listed to show how much I carry (the crux of my issue)

Camera Bodies
Canon 40D
Canon S90
Sanyo Xacti GC-10

iPad
iPhone

Accessories
24-105mm f4
50mm f1.4
External Flash
Flash Defusier
Multi Card Reader
USB Cable
Multiple CD & SD Cards
Xtra Batteries
iPad Camera Connection Kit

The setup works really well, and covers most of the situations I encounter. I have two main issues. I find myself needing more zoom than either can provide, and the obvious answer is the 70-200 f2.8 or f4 but that's when I heard the TWiP podcast and it got me thinking....

If I add that lens, I'll probably need a bigger bag, and carrying all this is becoming unwieldy.

I'm considering trying to trade my current kit to get down to a single camera that does video, smaller / lighter (thus more convenient to carry), and in the end gets used more.

I've been thinking about the micro 4/3, and the new Sony NX5. I know I'm not going to be able to do everything that I can with my 40d, but I'm a casual shooter. I don't do it for money, it's mainly a hobby. I take lots of pics / movies of the kids, family / pet photos, etc... It's just a real pain to say "Hold on kids. Let me put down my dSLR and boot up the video camera." or "Hey, you're further away than I planned. Let me get in my bag and switch lenses."

I'm hoping you guys can advise me whether this is realistic, or I just need to go to the gym and start bulking up more......

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    photokandyphotokandy Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I'd think the m4/3rds might be just about right for you. The bodies are smaller, and so are the lenses. (The APS-C sensor compacts have smaller bodies, but the lenses will still be fairly large.)

A m4/3rds + Panasonic 14-150mm seems like just about the perfect thing for video + stills without having to change lenses all the time. Olympus is coming out (or perhaps already has) with a 14-150 as well if you're pairing with a Pen instead of a Panasonic. (That said, My pen works just fine with my Panny 45-200mm).

Now, here's my primary issue with m4/3rds: focus speed. I have (and love) my two dSLRs; and I love my Pen - but the AF can be painful at times when I'm used to near-instant focus + accuracy from my dSLRs. With the contrast AF, you'll have to think a little bit more about focusing, and expect to miss a few shots because the camera had to hunt to lock focus.

Also, the AF for the Pen quickly fails indoors with poor light. This is expected, of course, but it seems to be worse than a typical point-and-shoot. (I can't say how the Panasonic does.) So buy a flash that goes along with it if you're going to do a lot of indoor stuff.

Also, the kit m4/3rd lenses are pretty typical when it comes to image quality -- they aren't necessarily going to match your L glass, but that's half the point -- something smaller and lighter. The sensor isn't going to give you as good of low-light capability either, but again, you have to trade one thing for the smaller, more convenient form factor.

All that said, I love and adore both kits. I frequently bring both when I travel, so that actually means I'm lugging around more than I did before I bought the Pen when I'm traveling somewhere. That said, the Pen sees more use informally or on photowalks, and the dSLR sees its use on more important shoots.

(Oh, one last thing... bulking up doesn't hurt either. ;-) My bag usually has this in it: dSLR, Flash, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f4 IS, extra batteries (camera & AA), Lensbaby, cleaner, Pen, 14-42mm m/43rds lens, 45-200 m4/3rds lens, cards, remote triggers, etc. When using both cameras in tandem, one will have the long lens mounted and the other will have a short lens mounted, and both will be quickly available to me. 'Course, both support video, so that isn't a problem I have to face...)
    ~ Kerri, photoKandy Studios ( Facebook | Twitter )

Need customization services? View our packages or see our templates.

Note: I won't be offended if you edit my photo and repost it on dgrin -- I'm always open to new interpretations
    and ideas, and any helpful hints, tips, and/or critiques are welcome. Just don't post the edit anywhere else
    but dgrin, please.

My Gear List
  • Options
    dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I like the micro four thirds system (picked one up as a gift for my father a while ago). However, because the micro 4/3s have just started to take off in the past year or two, there are still a lot of drawbacks (like poor high ISO performance). Give it a few years and i'm sure it will be better (if it sustains its interest and popularity) but in the meantime, just know that it won't be quite the same as your SLR.

But that aside, here's a few thoughts I had...

First, if you want video, why not consider selling your 40D and picking up another canon that does? You've already invested into some lens and an external flash for a canon rig. Granted, its not a huge collection, but you'd probably have to spend a good amount on getting a micro 4/3 rig too (at least $1000 or so for a body, lens, and flash). If you sold your 40D, bought a new Canon and another telephoto, i'd assume you'd probably be in the same range (im not too sure as im more familiar with nikon).

Secondly, the issue with changing lens might be a moot point because depending on what you buy, you may eventually find yourself in that same position with the micro 4/3 system too. Plus, from what i remember, the telephoto on the micro 4/3 system is not as fast as the 70-200 f/2.8. If weight trumps the lens fastness, a 55-200mm would be a lighter alternative to the 70-200 on an DSLR (if its not full frame). Or better yet, you could pick up an 18-200mm lens instead. I suppose in the worst case, if your lens won't reach and you don't have time to change lens, you can always run and get some exercise ;) haha.

For me, shooting indoors without flash is a big reason why i like my DSLR. If you foresee yourself being at birthday parties, piano recitals, etc where only non-flash photography is allowed, i'd suggest upgrading your DSLR to a unit that has video and the ability to shoot well at high ISOs. If not, then a micro 4/3s may be a good alternative as well :)