Options

First Wedding

BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited June 18, 2010 in Weddings
Ok, shot my first wedding this weekend. I haven't come near going through all the images, but have found a couple that I like so far. So, here's a start... C&C welcome and encouraged!

1. First portrait location on the golf course. I think we did 5 locations...

899564977_AYLVz-L.jpg

2. The 'fun' portrait of the girls.

899564080_kABtk-L.jpg

3. So sad the grooms hand is cut off, but still thought this one was fun.

899563540_yxSyi-L.jpg

4. Rings: will be adding a macro lens to my kit one day.

902199147_tR5rb-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    edited June 16, 2010
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Hi Lee,

No not bad..........just sometimes nobody comments. :cry

Not unusual to have 100 views and 0 to 2 comments.

I can see by your site that while this might have been your first wedding you are not new to photography.

Nice job.................now how about those hard low light inside shots?

Sam
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Great job for your first wedding! Love the first shot with them at the golf course! Don't worry about no one commenting - I've learned that there's a bit of a clique here in the wedding group, and if you're not in it, you don't get commented on.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Thank you both for commenting!
    Sam wrote: »
    Hi Lee,

Nice job.................now how about those hard low light inside shots?

Sam

Ugh, yeah, I haven't gotten that far in the editing yet. Try, low light with red, blue and green strobes going off all night. I will post one soon.
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    It's the jealousy that many of us suffer remembering our first wedding that prohibits more comments lol.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    Great job for your first wedding! Love the first shot with them at the golf course! Don't worry about no one commenting - I've learned that there's a bit of a clique here in the wedding group, and if you're not in it, you don't get commented on.

I like cliques fried, broiled, or baked...............wait....wrong clique.

This is interesting.....................is there a clique? Seriously I haven't noticed? I always miss out on the gossip!

Sam
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    I've only been around on this site for a hot minute but I've just noticed less comments on work all around period. Not like there's some clique but that people here just post less than your average say motorcycle or car forum.

EDIT: I just realized in my post-whoredom I'm number 6 on SVRider lol.
    http://forum.svrider.com/memberlist.php?ltr=R&order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=30

• Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    I've only been around on this site for a hot minute but I've just noticed less comments on work all around period. Not like there's some clique but that people here just post less than your average say motorcycle or car forum.

I have noticed some threads seem to get a lot of feedback. I don't post much, so I don't think I've offended anyone (it's been known to happen). But, it's all good. I like some of the feedback i see in other threads, so i thought I'd post something up. I'm posting here not to get approval, but to get ideas for future work, some critique, and how others perceive my work.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »

I'm a one one month off another month commenter :D. Busy wedding season right now!

Now on to the photos! Great first run. Would love to see more.

The framing, lighting and the almost kiss is well done in the first shit. The bride and groom in the center of the shot works in this case.

The second and third shot are both cute and 'fun'. A tigher crop on the bride pic would make them work well together.

Great ring shot! I like your b&w conversion!
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    BuddyLee wrote: »
    I have noticed some threads seem to get a lot of feedback. I don't post much, so I don't think I've offended anyone.

No worries, I'm sure you didn't offend anybody. Usually you get more feedback if you post more pics thumb.gif

1: Very nice pic, I like it - a lot.
    2: hmmm, is the bride jumping? I can't tell ... In general I tell the bridesmaids to bend their knees and get off the ground as much as possible
    3: Looks somewhat out of focus to me? ne_nau.gif ... maybe not, hard to tell, but tell the guys to bend their knees!! thumb.gif

And now post some more!! :eat
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2010
    I have noticed some threads seem to get a lot of feedback. I don't post much, so I don't think I've offended anyone (it's been known to happen). But, it's all good. I like some of the feedback i see in other threads, so i thought I'd post something up. I'm posting here not to get approval, but to get ideas for future work, some critique, and how others perceive my work.

Buddy,

I didn't take your post as looking for ata boys at all. Over all this is, I think, the most helpful and friendly forum out there.

Sam
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Ahh I hope my first wedding this July is as good as the images you posted!! Nice job, GEE who knew the groom had that much bounce in him? He TOTALLY should have respected the frame and stayed inside. Just Kiddin..rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

So when I post mine, remember to be kind to me, UNLESS they happen to turn out fantastic ...:ivar:ivar:ivar and then you can cut me down to size a bit. :D
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    For a first wedding, you did a nice job! Better than many first weddings, definitely.

April through October is wedding season in the northeast, and June is often the busiest month of the whole year. So don't take the lack of comments personally... Most are just trying to process the previous weekend's work, charge the batteries and clean the lenses for the next weekend.

But a trend that stifles comments is, in my opinion, the quality of kindness that most here possess. There are some newer photographers, or just new members to this forum, who post, ask for advice, then insult and snarl at those who offered it. Since their pride and feelings are obviously deeply wounded, the natural reaction of those reading posts like these is to be very measured in their responses unless they feel they already "know" the person they are addressing. But once you are around a while, you will learn tons if you are humble and appreciate the amazing talent, wisdom, and generosity of many here.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    For a first wedding, you did a nice job! Better than many first weddings, definitely.

April through October is wedding season in the northeast, and June is often the busiest month of the whole year. So don't take the lack of comments personally... Most are just trying to process the previous weekend's work, charge the batteries and clean the lenses for the next weekend.

But a trend that stifles comments is, in my opinion, the quality of kindness that most here possess. There are some newer photographers, or just new members to this forum, who post, ask for advice, then insult and snarl at those who offered it. Since their pride and feelings are obviously deeply wounded, the natural reaction of those reading posts like these is to be very measured in their responses unless they feel they already "know" the person they are addressing. But once you are around a while, you will learn tons if you are humble and appreciate the amazing talent, wisdom, and generosity of many here.

Haha, I remember a picture I posted that got torn apart. At first I was like "SONOFA$#@&*(" and then I was like "Well, they are right about the composition" lol. I kinda like "The Refinery" and the brutal truth tellers that dwell there :D

• Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    #1 is awesome. Don't get me wrong, I like them all, but #1? Nailed it.
  • Options
    akikomeiakikomei Banned Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2010
    great pictures.. i like most #1 and 4
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Thank you all for your input. I find weddings very interesting. This one started off with a little stress. As i waited outside the brides locker room to shoot the getting ready shots, her zipper ripped from her dress. Since it was only 15 minutes before the ceremony there was a mad rush and i missed that whole session. Which makes me very sad. The problem ended up being some of the other girls were half dressed the whole time and didn't want me in there. Understandable. So, that combined with the fact it was raining outside at the start of the outdoor wedding, made for a stressful start. I can't wait to use what I've learned for the next wedding. I hope everyone has a successful and fun wedding season.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    No worries, I'm sure you didn't offend anybody. Usually you get more feedback if you post more pics thumb.gif

1: Very nice pic, I like it - a lot.
    2: hmmm, is the bride jumping? I can't tell ... In general I tell the bridesmaids to bend their knees and get off the ground as much as possible
    3: Looks somewhat out of focus to me? ne_nau.gif ... maybe not, hard to tell, but tell the guys to bend their knees!! thumb.gif

And now post some more!! :eat

Number one is the money shot...after all it's all about the bride and then the groom...lol. In the long run...say 10 years out plus, they will be going back to the album to see themselves...everyone else is secondary.

About number one. I like the color, setting, and the pose. Their embrace is just right. I see a lot of pre-kiss photos where the bride and groom are puckering...and pooching out their lips...not good as I've been taught. I think it's much more romantic in your shot. After all, serious kissing doesn't start out with pooched lips...lol...

Agnieszka, great advice about bending the knees. It sure makes a difference in the men's jump shot, where two of the men have their legs bent and two have them straight. Iput that one in the shot book.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Number one is the money shot...after all it's all about the bride and then the groom...lol. In the long run...say 10 years out plus, they will be going back to the album to see themselves...everyone else is secondary.

About number one. I like the color, setting, and the pose. Their embrace is just right. I see a lot of pre-kiss photos where the bride and groom are puckering...and pooching out their lips...not good as I've been taught. I think it's much more romantic in your shot. After all, serious kissing doesn't start out with pooched lips...lol...

Agnieszka, great advice about bending the knees. It sure makes a difference in the men's jump shot, where two of the men have their legs bent and two have them straight. Iput that one in the shot book.

Thanks, I'm proud to say #1 is straight out of the camera. I've always found kiss photos hit or miss. Some people just don't do an attractive kiss. I basically told them to walk the bridge and be with themselves. It was their first moments 'alone' as a married couple, so I was hoping for this shot in particular. I'm very happy everyone likes it. wings.gif that smiley cracks me up too...
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Beautiful first shot, way to use the shade to your advantage. Looks like the wedding party had a great time. Very nice images.
    Sounds like you had a similar experience to my first wedding. Bridals were supposed to be before the ceremony, didn’t happen. Ceremony was supposed to be outside, got moved to inside due to bad weather. Fortunately my wife shoots with me and was able to get in the dressing room.

• Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    I just kills me how people come in to this part of the forum in June and post a few snapshots from their first wedding, and then the following day bitch because the regular posters here don't find time to critique their work! Man, we are all busy as heck right now! Speaking for myself I spend my forum time (this time of year) posting my own work and then looking at the work of others who inspire me. You can call it clique-y if you want, but it isn't meant to be offensive. Certainly those of us who post shots and comment on shots tend to pay it back to each other out of respect but that isn't some big conspiracy. Speaking for myself I would love to comment on every set posted but it is hard to find the time or the motivation. That being said, I think there are a lot more important shots to post and ask for comments on then botched jump shots. Show us some emotion and some beauty... of your 4 favorites of the day 2 of them are cheesy jump shots? If this is the best from the day then you did a disservice to the clients... that will offend most of us trying to make a living doing this.

#1 is a nice shot but I think it would have looked better shooting it horizontal and off center showing some of the golf course in the negative space. Certainly that depends on the surroundings though. Their noses cross and it makes them look rather big. A true profile is not best for many people so having them pivot slightly to your left would have brought a little more light on the faces and given a little better perspective. Overall it is a pretty good shot but those little things would have made it better. #2 and 3 would have been a little better more symmetrical. If you don't have the bride jump then don't have the groom jump. When shooting those kind of shots it is a good idea to shoot them wider than you want for the obvious reason and also because you get a bit more DOF with a wider perspective. Both of which help with potential snafu's on the end product. Many times people jump forward and can go out of the focus range. #4 is a very nice ring shot.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Nice shots, I like them all.

I'm particularly impressed with the jumping bridesmaids. It's not tough to get the guys to act goofy at a wedding, but the girls are usually more reserved, particularly about anything that might mess up hair, dress, flowers, makeup, or shoes (justifiably so IMHO - it takes them HOURS to get all that stuff looking just right).

#1 is a great shot, but personally, I'd prefer that one to be cropped tighter on the couple and eliminate the background. It's a beautiful place, but that particular pose just begs for a close-up crop. Portrait, landscape, or square wouldn't matter, though I think Matt has a great idea about making the shot landscape and putting the couple in the extreme left or right, creating some nice negative space to show the beauty of the golf course.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Wow, Matt... sorry to have offended you and your busy schedule? Nobody is bitching about a thing. I genuinely thought my shots must have sucked since nobody responded. These are by far not my favorite shots of the day. I posted here though, looking for professional opinions on my first effort at taking snapshots as you like to put it. I'll leave you to your work in the future and will not bother you with my images.

Thanks for your critiques on my shots.
    mmmatt wrote: »
    I just kills me how people come in to this part of the forum in June and post a few snapshots from their first wedding, and then the following day bitch because the regular posters here don't find time to critique their work! Man, we are all busy as heck right now! Speaking for myself I spend my forum time (this time of year) posting my own work and then looking at the work of others who inspire me. You can call it clique-y if you want, but it isn't meant to be offensive. Certainly those of us who post shots and comment on shots tend to pay it back to each other out of respect but that isn't some big conspiracy. Speaking for myself I would love to comment on every set posted but it is hard to find the time or the motivation. That being said, I think there are a lot more important shots to post and ask for comments on then botched jump shots. Show us some emotion and some beauty... of your 4 favorites of the day 2 of them are cheesy jump shots? If this is the best from the day then you did a disservice to the clients... that will offend most of us trying to make a living doing this.

#1 is a nice shot but I think it would have looked better shooting it horizontal and off center showing some of the golf course in the negative space. Certainly that depends on the surroundings though. Their noses cross and it makes them look rather big. A true profile is not best for many people so having them pivot slightly to your left would have brought a little more light on the faces and given a little better perspective. Overall it is a pretty good shot but those little things would have made it better. #2 and 3 would have been a little better more symmetrical. If you don't have the bride jump then don't have the groom jump. When shooting those kind of shots it is a good idea to shoot them wider than you want for the obvious reason and also because you get a bit more DOF with a wider perspective. Both of which help with potential snafu's on the end product. Many times people jump forward and can go out of the focus range. #4 is a very nice ring shot.

Matt
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Wow, Matt... sorry to have offended you and your busy schedule? Nobody is bitching about a thing. I genuinely thought my shots must have sucked since nobody responded. These are by far not my favorite shots of the day. I posted here though, looking for professional opinions on my first effort at taking snapshots as you like to put it. I'll leave you to your work in the future and will not bother you with my images.

Thanks for your critiques on my shots.
    OK... I guess that was a little harsh! If you searched this forum for "first wedding" threads you will probably find half of them with the 2nd post less than 48 hrs later from the original poster wondering why nobody commented. Certainly this can be more about insecurity and less about complaining. Please accept my apology for assuming the later. Either way though, show us the good stuff and you will have more comments. it is OK to have some in there that you are looking for help on too. Today I am taking a break from photo editing and cleaning my house. Since nobody pays me for that it is easier to accidentally fall into the forum for a couple hours. Ha!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Thanks, I do actually have it in landscape, which I will play with. Also some better locations as well. This one had houses in the background and the course was more hidden by trees. Location picked by the wedding planner. :) Thankfully, when shooting I did do some tight cropped shots as well.

Thanks for all the feedback, this is helping me with ideas as I process this wedding.
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Nice shots, I like them all.

I'm particularly impressed with the jumping bridesmaids. It's not tough to get the guys to act goofy at a wedding, but the girls are usually more reserved, particularly about anything that might mess up hair, dress, flowers, makeup, or shoes (justifiably so IMHO - it takes them HOURS to get all that stuff looking just right).

#1 is a great shot, but personally, I'd prefer that one to be cropped tighter on the couple and eliminate the background. It's a beautiful place, but that particular pose just begs for a close-up crop. Portrait, landscape, or square wouldn't matter, though I think Matt has a great idea about making the shot landscape and putting the couple in the extreme left or right, creating some nice negative space to show the beauty of the golf course.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    OK... I guess that was a little harsh! If you searched this forum for "first wedding" threads you will probably find half of them with the 2nd post less than 48 hrs later from the original poster wondering why nobody commented. Certainly this can be more about insecurity and less about complaining. Please accept my apology for assuming the later. Either way though, show us the good stuff and you will have more comments. it is OK to have some in there that you are looking for help on too. Today I am taking a break from photo editing and cleaning my house. Since nobody pays me for that it is easier to accidentally fall into the forum for a couple hours. Ha!

Matt

ok ok, we can hug it out... or not. :) I spend a lot of time on Cycling forums and sarcasm is very high. So part of my "that bad" is definitely sarcasm as well.

Thanks again for the compliments. When i get to the end of this editing and really do have stuff i'm proud of, i'll be sure to post. I learned a lot from shooting this wedding and cannot wait for the next one at this point. two more scheduled for later this year.