Options

First Birding Expedition (long post)

rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
edited July 31, 2005 in Wildlife
Well the sun has decided to return to my part of the world, and it seems we may be heading into an earlt spring. It was such a nice weekend we decided to go outside for some recreational activities:): . We went to a dam about 10 minutes from town and the other half went fishing and I took the camera, of course. There are no power boats allowed here so there is nice population of birds that like it there. I took many pictures, and came home to discover I have had my first encounter with the chromatic aberration gremlin:wxwax It ruined alot of my pictures but I managed to fix a few (sort of). Also, this was my first time doing birds properly, and I don't really know what I was doing. Maybe i need wider apertures...I'm not sure. Anyay here are some that aren't so bad.

dumaresqdam009copy.jpg

purpleswamphen2.jpg
Purple Breasted Swamp Hen (Porphyrio Porphyrio)
dumaresqdam100copy2.jpg

dumaresqdam104copy.jpg
I need a bird ID on this one if anyone knows. It may be a female swamp hen but I just don't know:dunno

Are there tips and tricks for birding...Like some rules to follow or some advice you could give to help me out in future?

TIA
www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso

Comments

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    One more of the unidentified bird that I liked...

dumaresqdam106.jpg
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:

Are there tips and tricks for birding...Like some rules to follow or some advice you could give to help me out in future?

TIA

long lenses, better beamers, down low, being quiet, being patient, being persistent, underexposing (white birds shot near the earth), overexposing (most birds when shot against a bright sky)... so much more.

try here and here and loads of other sites i'm sure you'll catch on if you hang round here and ask :D
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    long lenses, better beamers, down low, being quiet, being patient, being persistent, underexposing (white birds shot near the earth), overexposing (most birds when shot against a bright sky)... so much more.

try here and here and loads of other sites i'm sure you'll catch on if you hang round here and ask :D
    15524779-Ti.gif 110 % + enjoy enjoy every moment of this great art form :D
    oh yeah have a good job cause it's gonna $$$$ :lol
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    Fun day, wasn't it?

You got some nice reflections there, but they could be lighter, maybe, and less busy, definitely.

That darn busy is driving me nuts, it can be difficult to control when the birds call the shots as to where they are.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.