Options

Any REAL alternative than 2 panos on one print?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited June 22, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Let's be REAL here, I'm paying for SmugMug to MAKE MONEY, NOT GIVE IT AWAY. Every thread I've seen here when it comes to printing panoramas the solution is to "print them 2 up and get twice as many." Great, so if I upload half as many photos to SmugMug, will I have to pay 1/2 as much too? I mean, I don't want to sound like an a$$, but there needs to be some way to either do self-fulfillment for items that aren't in the available labs catalogs (which I know you can do panos at both labs) or enable some other kind of functions. Yeah, maybe it's not the most popular thing to be selling vs everything else that's going on, but it seems like an easy fix that SM has no interest in (Self Fulfillment) even though it's #5 on the top requested features.

P.S. I am more biased to self-fulfillment than anything since I do have a 24" printer and regularly print my own panos without needing to go to the lab. But I'll take ANY solution over none, or giving a single client 2 pictures for the price of 1.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    We have panoramic sizes from both labs:

via Bay Photo: 4x8, 5x10, 8x16, 8x20, 10x20, 10x30, 11x28,12x24, 12x30, 12x36

via EZP: 4x8, 10x20, 16x40 & 24x60 (box framed only)

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP#Prints
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Andy,

He didn't have time to look at the print availability and pricing schedule that is on every gallery.ne_nau.gif

He was too busy putting all his "L's" in red. Gotta make sure people really know you have those L's. bowdown.gif

Sorry. Just had to get that in. :D

jon
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2010
    Let's be REAL here, I'm paying for SmugMug to MAKE MONEY, NOT GIVE IT AWAY. ...

Jim,

Your Chicago panos are impressive!

That said - it's gonna be tough for you to make money when you're selling prints at cost AND you have originals enabled - even some galleries set at free download - why pay cost when you're giving away the original for free...hmmm rolleyes1.gif

Might want to check your gallery settings - just my .02

-rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    rich56k wrote: »
    Jim,

Your Chicago panos are impressive!

That said - it's gonna be tough for you to make money when you're selling prints at cost AND you have originals enabled - even some galleries set at free download - why pay cost when you're giving away the original for free...hmmm rolleyes1.gif

Might want to check your gallery settings - just my .02

-rich56k

That was enabled for all of 30 minutes I think. That gallery is locked down.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2010
    I hate to be a pain in the a$$, but after looking at available frames and the sizes offered by both labs, I hope I don't have any pissed off customers in a couple of weeks.

Standard "Pano" sizes offered by Michaels, Meier, Walmart, Target, etc. Are 8x20 (fine, lab offers this) and 11.75x36. Great, lab offers 10x30, which you can't find a pre-made frame to save your life at any store I've looked at (10+ that carry frames) and the lab offers the largest pano @ 12 x 30, which would be great if it was 12x36, which is closest to the standard frame size available.

Someone told me "10x30 frames are everywhere." I suggest those people try finding one. I even asked the framers at 2 locations who never have seen that size in store, it's always been 11.75x36.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    That was enabled for all of 30 minutes I think. That gallery is locked down.

Jim,

Well every gallery I just checked is still priced at your cost - including the Chicago panos - and it's some pretty nice work to be honest - I'd double check those settings if I were you! deal.gif

Also originals are still available in all your galleries - I'm pretty sure that at cost sales aren't logged so you won't even know how many have bought! ne_nau.gif

Just trying to help a fellow smugger...

-rich56k
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    rich56k wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that at cost sales aren't logged so you won't even know how many have bought!

Actually, with the roll-out of coupons even at cost sales are now logged. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    OK, So why is it if I log out and go there I get "No products for this photo" in that same gallery????? Ugh.. WTF?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Jim,

That's the same thing I get now...I believe (although I could be wrong as I haven't done pricing in quite a while) sometime between June 17 at 1:48 a.m. and June 21 at 9:41 p.m. you reset the pricing to $0.00 on those items - but in your control panel under "Printing" you are still enabling "Printable? Yes" (see a sample as attached from one of my galleries) the alternative is just click "Printable? No" then the option to enter the shopping cart won't be available.

Your current result is shopping cart access without anything available to put in it...

A good rule of thumb (and I learned this the hard way) is anytime you make changes to your control panel - log out or use another browser (say do your changes logged in in IE, while viewing [logged out] in FireFox to check each settings result) that way you minimize any issues.

-rich56k
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Thanks, never thought about that. Oops.

Now if we can just get the SM labs to offer 12x36 prints. Hah, I won't hold my breath. I still don't get that... 12x30 isn't a standard size, why the hell don't they do 12x36? Ugh. Guess for now it's self-fulfill for those clients.
  • Options
    flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    I find that when using Chrome I just hit Ctrl+Shift+N to bring up an Incognito window, hit my site and bam, there it is in all of its glory without my login affecting it.

I find its great for testing.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Thanks, never thought about that. Oops.

Now if we can just get the SM labs to offer 12x36 prints. Hah, I won't hold my breath. I still don't get that... 12x30 isn't a standard size, why the hell don't they do 12x36? Ugh. Guess for now it's self-fulfill for those clients.

Jim, we do have the 12x36 MetalPrints, they're absolutely stunning. http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABP

I'll look into the other sizes.