UI bug -- "back" arrow should always take you to the last photo you saw

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited May 28, 2004 in SmugMug Support
Unfortunately this doesn't happen if you're on the first photo of a page (this is in Elegant views). In that case, the back (or left) arrow will take you to the first photo of the previous page.

This is wrong.

You already have a button to go back a page. It's right next to the page numbers.

The forward/backwards arrows above the current photo should take you forward or backwards through all photos, regardless of which page you're on.

The grandma test is this:

- forward, forward, forward, forward, forward... next page... forward...
- "oh wait, i want to go back two photos"
- back, back. "Hey -- where's that photo I was on?"
- "why am I seeing the first photo on this page?"
- <grumble>
- click on thumbnail of last photo on page.

Comments

• {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2004
    Hello Darryl,

I coded the arrows based on the fact that I thought most users would use their browsers navigational arrows to go backward.

I wanted to provide an easy way for a user to not move their mouse and advance through a gallery and only concentrate on the pictures and nothing else.

I suppose though, that I could keep the forward arrow to advance to the next photo, while making the back arrow go to the previously viewed image.

Thoughts?
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2004
    {JT} wrote:
    Hello Darryl,

I coded the arrows based on the fact that I thought most users would use their browsers navigational arrows to go backward.

I wanted to provide an easy way for a user to not move their mouse and advance through a gallery and only concentrate on the pictures and nothing else.

I suppose though, that I could keep the forward arrow to advance to the next photo, while making the back arrow go to the previously viewed image.

Thoughts?
    Hey JT --

That's exactly my point. The forward button does just what you intended -- allow people to advance through the gallery by just clicking. It's the way *every photo gallery in the world* should work. :} (What happens in reality is that people stupidly put buttons below the pictures, so they move around. Or they don't have a view where the photo will fully fit in the browser window, so you need to scroll around, then go back up and find the forward button)

ANYways, having the back arrow go back to the previously viewed image (even if it's on a previous page) maintains that ease of use. People will be able to click on it to go back through their galleries in a very intuitive way.

Granted, you and I know that using the browser's [Back] button is better because it's usually faster to quickly read the cached version as opposed to forcing a reload of a page even if the server is caching properly. But my mom doesn't know that. :-}

Thanks for taking it under consideration though!

--Darryl