Options

Lighting in churches

bdillahubdillahu Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited June 23, 2010 in Weddings
I'm not really a photographer... just an amateur with enough experience to be dangerous... but I've been doing lighting for my church (services, drama, concerts (including Randy Travis once... probably my biggest name artist :-)), all manner of things) for 20+ years. Included in that is lighting weddings for when the bride doesn't want the "standard setup" but instead something special.

I have just found it interesting that you can tell the experience/comfort level of the photographer by how much they expect from the lighting. I know a couple of the pro's that are used fairly often and as long as there are some lights on, they are good with it. They will deal with it, and/or bring their own flash(es) to make what they need. I've seen their work, and I don't think it suffers.

Some of the newer guys want changes, things brighter, darker, more "even", whatever. I understand why, but I sometimes wonder what they do in a smaller facility (we seat 2200+ and have a versatile lighting rig) that pretty much has "lights on or off".

I always do my best to provide whatever the photographer requests (although the bride is the final call if there is a disagreement), but sometimes the "newbies" get a bit over the top :-)

Not a slight to anybody, just thought people might be interested in a different viewpoint in the "dealing with wedding challenges" world.

If anybody has questions a church lighting guy might take a stab at, pass them over :-)

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    bdillahu wrote: »
    I'm not really a photographer... just an amateur with enough experience to be dangerous...

..... but I sometimes wonder what they do in a smaller facility (we seat 2200+ and have a versatile lighting rig) that pretty much has "lights on or off".
    :-)

Hi, and Welcome to DGRIN:D

answer to your question I highlighted: Suffer!
    tom wise
  • Options
    LisaSLisaS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2010
    Huh. I'm definitely a wedding newbie, but I've never fussed or moaned about church lighting, and I've been in a few atrocious situations. That's what a bump up in ISO, a fast lens, and/or a good strobe are for!!

Of course, I've also never gotten to photograph a big enough wedding that there was any thought to lighting design. :) Cool!!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    that is surprising to me. it seems that no matter how good the gear and photographer, you still need good light, and the better (generally brighter) the light the better.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    LisaS wrote: »
    Huh. I'm definitely a wedding newbie, but I've never fussed or moaned about church lighting, and I've been in a few atrocious situations. That's what a bump up in ISO, a fast lens, and/or a good strobe are for!!

Of course, I've also never gotten to photograph a big enough wedding that there was any thought to lighting design. :) Cool!!

Somehow I bet you're in the minority. The First Church Wedding I was invited to Shoot was surprising. I didn't know there were Churches without Windows. This Church had not one single window illuminating the Sanctuary and to top it off, they only used Candles Behind the couple and no flash~
    tom wise