How To Reset Photoshop For Better Efficiency

david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited June 24, 2010 in Finishing School
I'm struggling here, hope someone can help.

At home, we have a wireless network and while I mainly work on my Thinkpad, I usually store files on one of the desktops.

Anyway, when I start Photoshop on the Thinkpad, it always wants to find that network drive and crashes if it can't. This basically means that I can't use Photoshop at all right now unless I'm at home.

Any ideas as to how I can correct this, it's getting really frustrating.

Thanks.

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Is it CS? Is it trying to log on to the internet?

I ask in ignorance. But on my machine, everytime I start-up PS, ZoneAlarm tells me PS is trying to access the internet. I think it's Adobe making sure that PS is being used on the machine to which it was registered. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    I'm not sure if this will work on your version of Photoshop, but it works on the latest couple versions: Start Photoshop, but hold down Ctrl, Shift, and Alt (on a Mac you would hold down Command + Shift + Option). That will open a dialog box asking if you would like to delete the preferences. I'm not sure if that will remove the remembered folders on the network, but it's worth a try.
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Sid, it's CS. I don't htink it's connecting to the internet, just looking for a file that's on the unavailable network drive.

Coulourbox, thanks for the tip. I tried it and it let me right in. PS starts much much faster as well, must have accumulated a lot in the preferences file.
  • AllYoursVPPAllYoursVPP Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    Same issues, PSE 8
    How about on PSE 8 ? I've had my organizer crashing repeatedly at various early stages of startup lately. I've researched the heck out of it and reinstalled, so far nothings working. The box I received with your advice is the Catalog manager. Again, it's PSE 8, so *shrug*. Whatcha think?
    colourbox wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will work on your version of Photoshop, but it works on the latest couple versions: Start Photoshop, but hold down Ctrl, Shift, and Alt (on a Mac you would hold down Command + Shift + Option). That will open a dialog box asking if you would like to delete the preferences. I'm not sure if that will remove the remembered folders on the network, but it's worth a try.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
  • AllYoursVPPAllYoursVPP Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2010