Options

Shouldn't automatically change my keyword

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 27, 2010 in Bug Reporting
I added the keyword "best-yosemite" to a bunch of my images. I clicked on the preview button in the bulk caption/keyword page and this is what the screen looked like:

2010-06-27_1602.png

I then hit the Save button and waited for the keyword best-yosemite to get indexed. It never, ever, ever did. What Smugmug did was strip the dash out of the keyword and apply a keyword of bestyosemite.

This UI is simply wrong and most users would consider it a bug because you applied a keyword that I did not enter. If you're not going to accept the keyword I apply, then don't automatically change it and apply a changed keyword without telling me you modified it. Tell me that it's an invalid keyword and tell me why it's invalid and let me choose what keyword I want to use. Or, alternatively make the preview function smart enough to show the modified keyword so I can see that it was changed BEFORE I hit Save.

Changing it behind my back without ever telling me is the wrong behavior.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 27, 2010
    Hey John,

Unfortunately, a hypen is a special case...as it's used as the keyword delimiter for multiple keywords in the keyword url.

Personally, I don't like this...and I tried to change it when I wrote a lot of keyword logic last year, but the logic didn't scale unfortunately.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    devbobo wrote: »
    Hey John,

Unfortunately, a hypen is a special case...as it's used as the keyword delimiter for multiple keywords in the keyword url.

Personally, I don't like this...and I tried to change it when I wrote a lot of keyword logic last year, but the logic didn't scale unfortunately.

Cheers,

David
    I understand why you don't allow a hyphen in keywords. While, like you, I might have designed it differently to not have that restriction in the first place, that isn't what this complaint is about. My complaint is about how the UI automatically changes my keyword without telling me. That's just bad UI.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    That's just bad UI.

I agree, and have raised this to some of our front end guys for a look. I think we should do something on that page to help the user better. Thanks John, for raising it!
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    I agree, and have raised this to some of our front end guys for a look. I think we should do something on that page to help the user better. Thanks John, for raising it!
    Thanks Andy.
    --John
    HomepagePopular