Options

what is comparable to the Nikon D700

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Cameras
I'm sure this has been brought up before so here is my situation. My D300 stopped autofocusing yesterday, camera is about 1 year old. Last weekend with a fresh battery the top LCD went out like I had turned it off, but I hadn't. My lens is the Nikon 18-200. The camera has been used for mostly shooting dirt bikes so the environment is dusty but it hasn't seen THAT much action. In march I had to send it in for service to Best Buy for autofocus issues, working erraticaly if at all, and I think they replaced the innards of the lens but their work order wasn't exactly full of info.

So since I have the Best Buy extended warranty it has to go back for service and I know they might "replace" the camera which will give me store credit.

And as far as I'm concerned they can stick the 18-200 lens where the sun never shines as well..

So if they give me store credit the D700 is next but I'm wondering what is the comparable Canon Full Frame, is it dirt bike (dust) friendly, etc etc.

I'm stuck dealing with Best Buy, so they have to sell it or I'm locked into a D700 assuming they offer me store credit.

thank you. losing faith in Nikon...:cry

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Why get a D700? You don't really need FF with the way you shoot. You've got decent light and can use the reach. You don't need a better body, you need a better lens. What FL do you find yourself shooting at for most of your dirt bike shots?
  • Options
    SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    The D300 is a great sports camera and the focus speed/accuracy is very close to that of the D3. The 18-200 lens is a good lens but not the best for MX or other dusty venues. Get the D300 repaired if that is necessary and purchase a Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 I or II. You'll be lovin' it! The sharpness and color out of the 70-200 is fantastic. I had the dust eat a Nikon 18-200. I was using it in an environment it wasn't designed for, not a lens problem - wrong choice of tools by me. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Why get a D700? You don't really need FF with the way you shoot. You've got decent light and can use the reach. You don't need a better body, you need a better lens. What FL do you find yourself shooting at for most of your dirt bike shots?

1. because FL camera's have better processors = better clarity
    2. because I'm almost 53 and I could drop dead tomorrow.
    3. because Best Buy just might give me store credit and I don't want a 300S.
    4. because I want a 70-200 Nikon lens which is FF and the 300 isn't FF.
    5. because I'm obsessed with shooting the best mx shots I can at any cost.

6.because I'm afraid if I don't spend disposable income on photo gear I just might be stupid enough to buy a YZ125 and think I'm 20 again and I can't afford to get busted up but I can afford top notch photo gear.

what FL lenght do I find myself shooting at? not sure. if FL = focal length and I'm assuming it does I tend to stand very close and not "zoom" too much so middle of the road with the 18-200.

If the 300 wasn't misbehaving I'd be perfectly happy with it. If they offer store credit (they have twice in the past) I'm buying up. = D700 or comparable.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    and because SoCalAl's sig line pretty much sums it up.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    You are OLD!!! with a long way to go!!! Laughing.gif I have 10 on you. The D700 + Nikkor 70-200 VR I or II would be a killer combo. I would add to that a Nikkor TC-20E III as that will turn your 70-200 into a 140-400. There are times the 70-200 is a little short. PLUS the farther away from the track you are the less of a chance you will get hit. Been there done that. I have a 70-200 I'll sell you cheap, there is one catch, it's now a two piece unit as a rider landed on me coming off a jump. Check out Eberman he uses a D700 and has great images... It's only money.... You won't have to pay it off if you drop tomorrow.... GO FOR IT!!!! wings.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited June 20, 2010
    There is no exact Canon equivalent to the Nikon D700. The Canon 5D MKII is a FF body with more resolution than the Nikon D700, but it's not designed for sports and the AF section really can't keep up with sports/action very well. The environmental seals are also not designed for constant exposure to dust or moisture.

The appropriate current Canon camera body for your application would be a 1D MKIV, and it is a killer camera for sports but it's quite a bit more expensive than the D700. The 1D MKIV is definitely designed for tough environments, similar to a Nikon D3/D3S. The 1D MKIV is not FF but rather it has a 1.3x crop factor sensor, but it does require the Canon FF lenses.

If you have good light, the Canon 7D is a great crop camera with 18MPix, It has 2 image processors, like the best Nikon and Canon cameras, but the cost is less than either a Nikon D700 or Canon 1D MKIV. It will shoot at 8 fps. The 7D will also do excellent video in good light. It will accept both FF and crop lenses, of course.

A quick Google of 7D and motocross:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=%2B%227d%22+%2Bmotocross&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2010
    Ziggy is right, the Canon 7D is a totally valid option! No matter what you decide upon get good glass!!! The D300 works great with the 70-200. Used that setup for a year.
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    amadeus wrote: »
    4. because I want a 70-200 Nikon lens which is FF and the 300 isn't FF.

I hope you don't think that this lens won't work on a d300. Just because it is FF compatible doesn't mean it won't work on a crop camera.
  • Options
    MLangtonMLangton Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »
    I hope you don't think that this lens won't work on a d300. Just because it is FF compatible doesn't mean it won't work on a crop camera.

+1

I have a D300, and a 70-200 F2.8... This combination is capable of AMAZING pictures. Hopefully, some day I'll be able to stretch it to it's limits.
    More photo, less shop.

http://mlangton.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    The 70-200 VRII and the D700 are pretty amazing together for sports. The AF is so fast it doesn't even register to your brain. Let us know what you decide :)
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    6.because I'm afraid if I don't spend disposable income on photo gear I just might be stupid enough to buy a YZ125 and think I'm 20 again and I can't afford to get busted up but I can afford top notch photo gear.

Umm...I tried something like that eleven years ago when I was 48 years old. Wanted to re-live my mx youth via vintage motocross. I had a fine time except for the crashes which, while they never left me seriously injured, left me laying on the ground looking around and wondering if Heaven was a motocross track or if I was still alive.

Do the smart thing, go for the camera gear! :rutt

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I'm sure this has been brought up before so here is my situation. My D300 stopped autofocusing yesterday, camera is about 1 year old. Last weekend with a fresh battery the top LCD went out like I had turned it off, but I hadn't. My lens is the Nikon 18-200. The camera has been used for mostly shooting dirt bikes so the environment is dusty but it hasn't seen THAT much action. In march I had to send it in for service to Best Buy for autofocus issues, working erraticaly if at all, and I think they replaced the innards of the lens but their work order wasn't exactly full of info.

So since I have the Best Buy extended warranty it has to go back for service and I know they might "replace" the camera which will give me store credit.

And as far as I'm concerned they can stick the 18-200 lens where the sun never shines as well..

So if they give me store credit the D700 is next but I'm wondering what is the comparable Canon Full Frame, is it dirt bike (dust) friendly, etc etc.

I'm stuck dealing with Best Buy, so they have to sell it or I'm locked into a D700 assuming they offer me store credit.

Scott,

I would take the 300s if they offered it. Having the extra reach with the crop body seems to be the right thing for your kind of shooting.

otoh, I would take the credit for the 18-200 and get the 70-200 2.8 in a heartbeat. I think you'll get way more for money going with the better glass than a FF body. And you can always pick up a second hand Tamron 17-50 2.8 for cheap if you need something shorter.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote: »

+2

I think the OP is misinformed about the lens options for his Nikon bodies.

I was going to suggest the Nikkor 70-200mm, but that lens is quite a step up price wise from his 18-200mm. I suspect the 70-200mm would be great for dirt bikes on a D300.

I own both a D700 and D300. I pull out the the D300 when I need a little extra reach in good light. The rest of my time is spent behind the D700. They both have their place.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    I should mention that a Nikon D2X/D2Xs has a feature set that would work extremely well for this application in good light. The excellent body build, including environmental sealing and a wonderful AF section, along with a 1.5x crop factor, would be a terrific upgrade from a D300.

Coupled with the Nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (either version) you would have a very competent daytime sports/action system that is designed for the rigors of your subject matter.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    Scott,

I would take the 300s if they offered it. Having the extra reach with the crop body seems to be the right thing for your kind of shooting.

otoh, I would take the credit for the 18-200 and get the 70-200 2.8 in a heartbeat. I think you'll get way more for money going with the better glass than a FF body. And you can always pick up a second hand Tamron 17-50 2.8 for cheap if you need something shorter.

thanks. and thanks for everyones input. I am aware of the D300 being capable of using the 70-200 $$$$$$$$ lens. I don't want a 300S because I don't want video, my luck it will have a fritz and I don't even use/want video, so the D700 is looking pretty enticing. All this is based on the possibility that Best Buy might replace, as they have replaced 2 camera's for me in the past on the extended warranty and I plan on playing the disattisifed customer role as the camera went in for service in March and they never fixed the auto focus illumination light that works in low light. I know what I really need is the lens but if I can buy up to a D700, it's only money...

you guys have used the term "reach" a few times from a few different people.

any input appreciated on that term and the way its being used.

thanks again for the input to everyone.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    The 1.4x (or is Nikon 1.5x?) crop factor on the D300 (or any non-full-frame-sensor camera, although the crop factor for Canon is 1.6x) means that lenses act as though they are a little longer - you multiply by the "crop factor" to get the effective length. So on a crop camera a 50mm lens is really acting like ~75-80 on a full frame camera. Etc. So, if you need extra telephoto, the crop cameras are actually quite helpful at making existing lenses performer with just a little more "reach".

You don't actually have to *use* the video in the d300s, even if it's there. A year ago I thought I didn't want video, but one of the reasons I stepped up to the Canon 7d was because in the last couple of months it's becoming something I can use in my non-photographic professional world, and it's GREAT to have it. I'm not really a video person, but it's right there in the camera, and because I have good glass, I get instant high quality video when I want it. So... if they only offer to replace and the only replacement is the 300s, I don't see that the video would actually be a "problem" (even if it is a "redundant extra")
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    ... you guys have used the term "reach" a few times from a few different people.

any input appreciated on that term and the way its being used.

thanks again for the input to everyone.

A "crop" camera, and Nikon "DX" cameras (like the D300) are crop 1.5x cameras, use a smaller imager. The smaller imager has the effect of recording a smaller area of the image circle cast by a FF lens. Conversely a DX lens used on a FF body ("FX" in Nikon terminology) will not cover the entire sensor area meaning that a DX lens on an FX body will produce only a circular image on the frame. I believe that the Nikon FX cameras have a DX mode which only uses the central portion of the sensor to accommodate DX lenses, but with reduced resolution.

Since the DX sensor is smaller, the angle-of-view (AOV) is also smaller, and a smaller AOV is similar to what a teleconverter does, so that lenses effectively seem "longer" in use on a DX body than on a FF body.

For instance, a 50mm lens used on a DX body will have a very similar AOV to that of a 75mm lens on an FX body. Thus the Nikon DX crop factor of 1.5 times the 50mm equals 75mm "effective" AOV. This effect is what folks refer to as the "reach" of the lens. Longer "reach" is generally considered a benefit of the DX format for sports since it is achieved without the light loss of an optical teleconverter. (In truth a FF camera can achieve the same thing by cropping the central portion of the image by 1.5x, but with the resulting loss in resolution.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2010
    I am going to echo othere here...the D300 + 70-200mm is going to be much better then then D700 + 18-200mm. If money is no objkect then by all mean go for the d700 + 70-200mm but you will need a 1.4TC with this combo to give you the same max zoom as the d300 + 70-200mm combo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    The 18-200 is a great lens but does not have the focus speed of the 70-200. Being a crop sensor lens it will only give you a 5 MP frame on the D700. It will work but not really what you may want or need. The D700 will give you much better low light capability than the D300(s). The primary reason I went to the D3 is because of the low light capability, the D700 similar IQ. A world of difference. Go for the D3s & Nikkor 70-200. Just roll out the $10,000 and have fun!!! eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    thanks again for all the input. for the record I have no plans on using the 18-200 should I ever find a D700 in front of my face. the 70-200 is coming regardless of the outcome with the D300. I'll only get the D700 if Best Buy offers the opportunity to buy up, wishful thinking but it has happened twice already with a point and shoot Canon and my D40.

I'm ponying up for a 70-200 one way or another sooner rather than later.

Any input on best place to buy a 70-200 appreciated. If I go to B&H I pay sales tax so I'm thinking I need to buy online out of state.

As far as spending $10K on a whim...this was very tempting last weekend.

905831722_8KmUZ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    Any input on best place to buy a 70-200 appreciated. If I go to B&H I pay sales tax so I'm thinking I need to buy online out of state.

Outside of NY, correct? www.normancamera.com and www.competitivecameras.com are both usually good (though not as good as B&H or Adorama).
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Spending 10K on a whim would be nice.... I hope it comes to you so you can! You will totally enjoy the 70-200 on either the D300 or D700. May "The Force" be with you!!!

Stick with the camera equipment.... not the bike!
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I second the 70-200. My wife has (and thus I've used) the 18-200 on my D300. It is a far cry from the 70-200. I want a D700 as well, but I still plan on keeping the 300 and keeping it more or less permanently attached to the 70-200. The real advantages of the 70-200 compared to the 18-200

*Rugged build w/weather sealing (however, how much water or dust this can withstand is somewhat debateable.
    *Constant aperture of 2.8. It doesn't change as you zoom. The 18-200, especially if it is dark out, takes a real hit when you zoom in.
    *Shaper since the lens has a lower zoom ratio. I'm not a pixel peeper, but I find that there is some difference with the lenses.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    I second the 70-200. My wife has (and thus I've used) the 18-200 on my D300. It is a far cry from the 70-200. I want a D700 as well, but I still plan on keeping the 300 and keeping it more or less permanently attached to the 70-200. The real advantages of the 70-200 compared to the 18-200

*Rugged build w/weather sealing (however, how much water or dust this can withstand is somewhat debateable.
    *Constant aperture of 2.8. It doesn't change as you zoom. The 18-200, especially if it is dark out, takes a real hit when you zoom in.
    *Shaper since the lens has a lower zoom ratio. I'm not a pixel peeper, but I find that there is some difference with the lenses.

thanks a lot.

question for the board. does Nikon make any other lens with all the above specs but maybe in different lenghts as opposed to the 70-200? even a straight 50mm or 100mm or non zoom?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    ... question for the board. does Nikon make any other lens with all the above specs but maybe in different lenghts as opposed to the 70-200? even a straight 50mm or 100mm or non zoom?

I am not absolutely certain what you're looking for but Nikon has nearly the breadth and depth of lenses that Canon has. Nikon and Canon both have particular strengths and some stellar/standouts for each company too. I would not feel terribly limited by either lineup.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Camera-Lenses/index.page

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111
    ziggy53
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    thanks a lot.

question for the board. does Nikon make any other lens with all the above specs but maybe in different lenghts as opposed to the 70-200? even a straight 50mm or 100mm or non zoom?

Nikon has both a 50mm 1/4 prime and a 105mm f/2.8 micro and both are excellent.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010

so I pick up the camera wednesday night. it went in because autofocus wasn't working and the low light autofocus assist light wasn't working. I made this very clear on the work order. they fix autofocus, but the light, she's a no work...rolleyes1.gif

I fill out the Geeksquad survey they emailed me and state my displeasure. manager calls me leaves me a voicemail. I call him back today.

Best Buy- Hi what was the problem.

Me- They didn't fix what I sent it in for.

Best Buy-Why don't you come in we'll replace the camera.

D700 here I come. :D
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Congrats on the new Camera clap.gif

When does the 70-200 and 1.4 teleconverter show up?