Options

YN 460 462 and manual flash

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited July 8, 2010 in Accessories
Forgive what might be a dumb question, but...

I have a conon 400d. I am just looking now at the YN460 and YN462 on eBay and there's only a couple of quid difference. I need a flash, but I am basically broke, so I was going to buy one of these...but, I read that I wouldn't be able to use these TTL. I'm not sure what this means, and I am not sure how to use the flash, either on the hotshoe, or off camera. I believe these flashes will fire with the camera flash triggering them, but then I read about "manual" flash. What is this?

If the flash were put on the hotshoe, would I be able to control it from camera (400d), or not? I am a novice with flash, only having the built in flash up to now.

I'd appreciate some idea of how i would use a flash like this before I buy...I look forward to hearing your expert advice!

Thanks

Craig

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited July 2, 2010
    The Yongnuo YNxxx flashes are awfully cheaply made and I cannot recommend them. I read about too many people who get a DOA from them or failure shortly after use.

If you're really that strapped for cash I recommend trying to find an older Sunpak 383 Super flash or a new Vivitar 285HV flash. Both are "Auto" and manual flashes with the Sunpak having a tilt "and" swivel head and the Vivitar having a zoom head.

The LumoPro LP160 looks encouraging but it's still pretty new so some extra risk.

For full Canon E-TTL II flash automation the least I recommend is the Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash. I have 2 of these units and 2 of the earlier model and they are proving to be very reliable units at a very reasonable cost. I suggest that they are worth the little extra over the Sigma "ST" version with much more usability and features.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Yongnuo YNxxx flashes are awfully cheaply made and I cannot recommend them. I read about too many people who get a DOA from them or failure shortly after use.

If you're really that strapped for cash I recommend trying to find an older Sunpak 383 Super flash or a new Vivitar 285HV flash. Both are "Auto" and manual flashes with the Sunpak having a tilt "and" swivel head and the Vivitar having a zoom head.

The LumoPro LP160 looks encouraging but it's still pretty new so some extra risk.

For full Canon E-TTL II flash automation the least I recommend is the Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash. I have 2 of these units and 2 of the earlier model and they are proving to be very reliable units at a very reasonable cost. I suggest that they are worth the little extra over the Sigma "ST" version with much more usability and features.

thanks. I had a look on eBay - there's one finishing soon...might see how much that goes for.

Cheers
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    The vivatar's are a proven work horse having been around since back in the 1970's.....
    It was THE FLASH back then......I have wore out a few of them over the years......
    You can find the /viv's for under $90 all the time...most place's selling for %89
    sunpak also maks great flashes....

I use several YN products and What I use, all seem to be built as quality items,
    but as Ziggy stated there is a lot of negatives on the flashes.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    telefotoguytelefotoguy Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    wouldn't recommend you placing that Yong Nuo on your hotshoe unless you test the trigger voltage first.

In my neck of the woods, the YN is pretty good as an off-cam flash paired with ebay triggers. Based on user comments, it good when it works but the output is not consistent shot after shot.