Options

Sigma 150 first shot

Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here's my first macro shot with my new lens! (Sigma 150mm) :clap:clap:clap I'm trying to figure out if I can get it any sharper in camera, the second shot is an unshrunk crop of the shot, notice how it's not tack sharp. I realize that we're talking about a very small piece of a penny, believe me, I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering what the limit of the lens is...

This was shot at f/22 Any tips?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Comments

• Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    here's the unshrunk crop...
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Macro is fun. Keep shooting and keep posting, we can always use more macro shots.
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    Macro is fun. Keep shooting and keep posting, we can always use more macro shots.

Thanks Khaos,

I figured out why it wasn't sharp, camera shake! The exposure was so long and table was vibrating slightly... Check this out!
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2005
    Yeah, at f22 you are definately going to have a long exposure. Nice improvement. I look forward to seeing more.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 29, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Thanks Khaos,

I figured out why it wasn't sharp, camera shake! The exposure was so long and table was vibrating slightly... Check this out!

That is very encouraging! I like it a lot. Might try some shots with Program mode flash and see how sharp it can be too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    That is very encouraging! I like it a lot. Might try some shots with Program mode flash and see how sharp it can be too.

Thanks pathfinder,

I'm kinda new at this, is "Program mode flash" a Canon thing?headscratch.gif I'm a Nikon kind of guy. Is there a Nikon equivalent for Program mode flash?

hoping this message finds you well -ian
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    Thanks pathfinder,

I'm kinda new at this, is "Program mode flash" a Canon thing?headscratch.gif I'm a Nikon kind of guy. Is there a Nikon equivalent for Program mode flash?

hoping this message finds you well -ian

Program mode - or P mode - with flash on a Canon EOS camera and flash, is the automatic mode for flash as the predominate or sole light for the image - as opposed to Av or aperature preferred mode with flash, which uses the flash only as FILL for foreground, and calculates the exposure for the image from available light from the background.

The Sigma 150 f2.8 macro is a very nice lens. It focuses very quickly and seems adequate optically. Here is an image of my Amaryllis which just bloomed recently.
    18770735-L.jpg

• Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Program mode - or P mode - with flash on a Canon EOS camera and flash, is the automatic mode for flash as the predominate or sole light for the image - as opposed to Av or aperature preferred mode with flash, which uses the flash only as FILL for foreground, and calculates the exposure for the image from available light from the background.

The Sigma 150 f2.8 macro is a very nice lens. It focuses very quickly and seems adeqaute optically. Here is an image of my Amaryllis which just bloomed recently.
    18770735-L.jpg

WOW! Thats a great shot! I'm gonna have to go through my manual and figure out what the Nikon equivalent is...
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    WOW! Thats a great shot! I'm gonna have to go through my manual and figure out what the Nikon equivalent is...
    This was shot with two diffused strobes, optically triggered by a flash on my camera. The camera was on manual - probably 1/100 ( to work with the strobes ) f20 I think, and on a tripod.

I like the 150 Sigma quite a bit - it has adequte reach, it is small and fast, and focuses quickly. Relatively inexpensive - compared to OEM lenses at least, too!!:):

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    by the last lens book I read (back in like 68) lenses are sharpest some at near there middle apertures. The reason seems to be that at the real small ones you are getting close to a pinhole and diffraction is taking over but at the larger it is the lens grind while at the very large the sides of the lens may have strain.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    ysr612 wrote:
    by the last lens book I read (back in like 68) lenses are sharpest some at near there middle apertures. The reason seems to be that at the real small ones you are getting close to a pinhole and diffraction is taking over but at the larger it is the lens grind while at the very large the sides of the lens may have strain.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll have to experiment with that...

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2005
    ysr612 wrote:
    At small aperatures, you begin to get diffraction, the light gets scattered rather than focused precisely. Most lenses in the past were sharpest about 2 stops smaller than their maximum aperature. This is less true today of first class lenses than in the past I think. Modern aspherical lenses are true optical stars.

• Options
    mroebuckmroebuck Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2005
    One of my first shots!
    pathfinder wrote:
    This was shot with two diffused strobes, optically triggered by a flash on my camera. The camera was on manual - probably 1/100 ( to work with the strobes ) f20 I think, and on a tripod.

I like the 150 Sigma quite a bit - it has adequte reach, it is small and fast, and focuses quickly. Relatively inexpensive - compared to OEM lenses at least, too!!:):
    Please comment.

http://mroebuck.smugmug.com/photos/30186105-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    mroebuck wrote:
    Please comment.

Very nice for one of your first shots. I like the red color:): , but the pistel does not look completely in focus to me. Was this image sharpened in Photoshop? I think the Sigma 150 can be sharper than this. What equipment was this image shot with?

• Options
    mroebuckmroebuck Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2005
    Sigma 150
    pathfinder wrote:
    mroebuck wrote:
    Please comment.

Very nice for one of your first shots. I like the red color:): , but the pistel does not look completely in focus to me. Was this image sharpened in Photoshop? I think the Sigma 150 can be sharper than this. What equipment was this image shot with?
    Hi

Your not the first to say it doesn't look completely in focus!

The image was taken with D70 plus SB800 in remote mode and hand held just above the flower.

I did focus manually because the room lighting wasn't very good. The worst part of it is - it doesn't look bad to my eye's - maybe it's time for glasses?