Smug Wallet - Iphone App

Comments

• twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2010
    I'm having the same problem - doing the same thing on the same new iphone 4 - downloading the higher rez version -
  • jgstewartjgstewart Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2010
    Lsimon wrote: »
    Anyways my issue is the sync. It syncs about 100 photos, give or take a few, and then exits the application. This makes it a bit time consuming since I can't just leave it go unattended and presumably my sync is taking a bit longer at the higher resolution. Any suggestions on what I might try to speed this up?

I'm also having the same problem with os4 on a 3gs, standard size pictures. It'll download about 120-200ish and then drop to the home screen. Unfortunately during the upgrade to the new phone OS I lost my photos and have roughly 18,000 to download. It's going to take some time at this rate.

I hope there's an easy fix for this!
  • Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    jgstewart wrote: »
    I'm also having the same problem with os4 on a 3gs, standard size pictures. It'll download about 120-200ish and then drop to the home screen. Unfortunately during the upgrade to the new phone OS I lost my photos and have roughly 18,000 to download. It's going to take some time at this rate.

I hope there's an easy fix for this!

I'm also having this issue (iOS 4 on an iPhone 3GS). Can we assume that an updated version is forthcoming to fix this issue and ensure compatibility with the new iOS? Background (multitask) downloading would be nice, too... :D
  • mcschmidt_00mcschmidt_00 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    I'm also having this issue (iOS 4 on an iPhone 3GS). Can we assume that an updated version is forthcoming to fix this issue and ensure compatibility with the new iOS? Background (multitask) downloading would be nice, too... :D

+1 to the download issue
    +1 to the need/hope for background downloading

Long time SmugWallet lover.
  • mattwrightmattwright Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Re: Crashing on sync
    Lsimon wrote: »
    Anyways my issue is the sync. It syncs about 100 photos, give or take a few, and then exits the application. This makes it a bit time consuming since I can't just leave it go unattended and presumably my sync is taking a bit longer at the higher resolution. Any suggestions on what I might try to speed this up?

Sorry about this -- getting a lot of reports like this on iOS 4.0. I have been out of town, but plan on debugging this and getting out a fix as soon as I can once I return. This may be a couple weeks (since Apple seems to be taking a week or so to approve updates), and I am very sorry for the annoyance and delay!

Also going to look into background downloading and some other requested features.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • SillyGuySillyGuy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    i have the same downloading problem as others..
    thanks for fixing this!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    If I update to iOS 4.0 will I lose all my 14,635 SmugWallet downloaded photos?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited July 3, 2010
    Keeping photos on iOS 4 upgrade
    Allen wrote: »
    If I update to iOS 4.0 will I lose all my 14,635 SmugWallet downloaded photos?

Hi Allen,

I have heard from a few people that they lost all of their photos. I believe this is happening when they do a full restore to upgrade to iOS 4.0 (maybe the only way). When this happens, it backs up the contents of your phone, but by default, SmugWallet stores your photos so they are not backed up (otherwise, it slows every sync process).

Before upgrading to iOS 4, I recommend you run SmugWallet and go to the 'Advanced Settings' on the 'Settings' tab. There you can change the Storage Directory from the 'Cache' default to 'Documents'. Once you have done that, and given it time to move the files, perform a sync with iTunes which should also backup your photos. It is my hope that with this process you will not lose your downloaded files. Once upgraded to iOS 4, you should then be able to switch it back to Cache to get quick syncs again.

Please let me know your experience and whether this works to keep your photos. Thanks,

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    All my downloaded photos are still there after doing an iOS4 upgrade on my iPhone 3GS (well, I didn't check EVERY photo, but spot checked several and all seemed there).

I'm not sure of what all the different upgrade methods are. I just connected to iTunes and when it said there was an OS upgrade I just let it do its thing.
    edited July 3, 2010
    Yeah, I had mine set to 'Cache' and fully expected them to be lost, but was pleasantly surprised to see that they were not after I ran the upgrade (iPhone 3GS from 3.1.2 to 4.0.) Your experience may vary, I guess it depends what iTunes does with your specific phone.
    edited July 3, 2010
    Yeah, I had mine set to 'Cache' and fully expected them to be lost, but was pleasantly surprised to see that they were not after I ran the upgrade [...]

Were you required to perform a full restore along the way or did it just seem to upgrade the OS? I honestly haven't tried and don't know for sure why some people are losing their photos on upgrade. My best guess was a full restore and the storage directory set to Cache, but it certainly could be something else as well...

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • jgstewartjgstewart Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 4, 2010
    mattwright wrote: »
    Hi Allen,
    I have heard from a few people that they lost all of their photos. I believe this is happening when they do a full restore to upgrade to iOS 4.0 (maybe the only way).

That's exactly what happened in my case, just to clarify. When I did the initial upgrade (and before I had to restore) the photos carried right over without issue. So, I guess as long as you don't have to wipe and reload because of a operating system error it should work just fine.

Thought I'd throw this out there just in case anyone else was concerned, I didn't really state that in my initial comment.

Thanks for looking into the issue!
    edited July 4, 2010
    +1 to the download issue

I have submitted a fix for the download issue that causes a crash after 100 - 200 photos synced. Unfortunately, it took Apple almost 10 days to approve my last fix, so I am not sure how quickly this one will happen.
    +1 to the need/hope for background downloading

This is definitely something I want to add, but since I haven't done any iOS 4 development yet, it will take some time to figure out and handle properly. Therefore, I just wanted to get the bug fix released ASAP, so the app is at least functioning as well as it used to, and then look into adding new features in the near future. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and feedback.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks for taking care of the bug fix so quickly! Apple must have a huge backlog of updates to go through, hopefully they'll get to yours soon.

When I ran my iOS upgrade, a restore wasn't required, so it must only cause the cache to get wiped if an error during the process requires a full restore.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    EV calculator to iPhone 3GS
    I would like to have an EV calculator in my iPhone and - having Googled a bit - I found this one which looks good enough.

However, I don't want to buy any app until I get some advice from you. mwink.gif

Any tips please ?

Thank you :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited July 7, 2010
    I would like to have an EV calculator in my iPhone and - having Googled a bit - I found this one which looks good enough.

Glad you enjoy my app enough to ask for suggestions on others, but I am not familiar with any of the iPhone EV calculators -- sorry! Maybe others can chime in with private messages to you and suggest something. Then you can provide a summary followup after you try a couple.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited July 9, 2010
    SmugWallet v3.3 released
    Apple has approved SmugWallet v3.3 which is a minor bug fix to prevent crashing mid-way through photo sync. Please let me know if that issue still occurs on your device.

Version 4.0 is in the works, with increased resolution for iPhone 4, slideshow options and additional enhancements planned.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • SimonG156SimonG156 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    This is a fantastic app, well done. great implementation, easy to use.

I just got an iPad as well (the greatest device ever made that no-one actually needs) and it would be great if it were iPhone/iPad optimised.

One small)ish) feature request would be to download/e-mail from a photo view as well as at gallery view.

Two, two small(ish) feature requests! OK so this one probably isn't so trivial. To be able to download an original to the photo roll when viewing a photo. I'm looking at puchasing something like "Photo fx Ultra for the iPad". Imagine browsing the galleries, picking a favoutie, downloading, applying effects and then using SmugShot to upload back to a "Processed" gallery, that in turn syncs to SmugWallet. Pretty groovy!
    edited July 14, 2010
    SimonG156 wrote: »
    This is a fantastic app, well done. great implementation, easy to use.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will work to include them in a future release. An iPad version has been requested several times, so it is also on the todo list, but no estimate on when that might get coded.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited July 15, 2010
    EV calculator table
    Let's see if I can explain myself in what I was expecting from an app of these.

When I shoot during the night in poor light conditions and I want to make loooong exposures I find that my camera stops at 30" as maximum.

As I want to keep the Exposure Value (EV) correct I am needing a way to calculate it with precision.
    I downloaded two programs from the iTunes and I found them not doing what I wanted.
    Shame: one of them stopped at 30 seconds !
    May be it's just me or my ignorance or... both.
    I understand that it is not practical to have to keep looking among a couple of situations looking for what is supposed to be the right EV.

Let me give you a quick example:
    I am on the field and I read the light and it goes like this:
    ISO 100 - 15 sec exposure - f/4

But if I want to use f/11 I must change the other parameters.
    I light my torch on the iPhone because it is dark and take my table from the pocket and read that I have to change the exposure to 2 minutes keeping the ISO

I was expecting that the apps would help me but just confused me until I decided to build this table. I am only showing you a small part of the table as it is much broader...

Any corrections ? Am I wrong ? Where ?
    935999738_AQTbQ-M.png
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    The app you are looking for is called Photobuddy . It is amazing...helps me at night to find the moon (or sun) info with rise and setting, then I can easily find hyper-focal length with the fstop and zoom used. Then I can punch in the settings with the high ISO and wide open Fstop and then make it sayyyyy a 15 min exposure and it will let me choose what setting to change to make it (what your looking for) It will help me with Flash guide numbers, depth of field, Has Bracket info times and all completely adjustable.

You should be able to figure out easily the settings for long exposures in your head but this makes it much easier.

I love this program and use it almost as much as my Smugwallet... MY MOST USED APP with nothing close second!
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2010
    Here are some screen shots
    951982378_5DrkN-M.jpg951982470_iqBH3-M.jpg951982616_HpD52-M.jpg

This is what you were doing, I used your example to show you exactly what you were looking for.
    In the second shot on the right I selected the F-Stop so anything I drag, the F-stop will change
    to keep the same exposure compensation!
    951983061_5Usvb-M.jpg951983137_3p825-M.jpg

Depth of field Calc (below it shows what will be in and out of focus with the F-Stop and zoom
    951983348_QZDpF-M.jpg

This app has it all!
    951983448_jMPgM-M.jpg

I am worthless when it comes to flash, this makes me a pro...One shot and no do overs with mutible flashes off camera setup
    with no ETTL!
    951983645_bQmsq-M.jpg

Until DSLR's have a Geotag, I can use this for now to take a snapshot with my iPhone or I can take a picture
    with my camera of the screen. I usually just press both iPhone buttons at the same time for a screenshot
    then I use another app called Smugshot to upload to my smugmug or type it in if needed.
    951983849_qLbRa-M.jpg

Timer?
    951983979_iaaoH-M.jpg
    I usually use the iPhone timer app but this works very well too!

Love the night, and make you night easier with this app. I have no Idea how much it was as I
    jailbroke my phone and downloaded it for free. After a quick few days I realized how much it was
    worth and did not care if it was $.99 cents or $10, I deleted the app and ordered it from the app
    store. It is one of those things where if I like it I support the person making it. I feel the same
    way about this app, $.99 or $50, I love Smugwallet and if you are thinking of purchasing it, do
    not think.... Just do it as you will NEVER regret it!
    (FYI - I do not know the people who wrote this and do not work for the company nor have I ever spoke
    with them other than when I needed help one time a LONG time ago by email)

MagicHour is another good one for getting the exact time you want to be onsite for the "magic hour"

These iPhone Apps make my life easier
    37502985_YJh2R-L-7.jpg

Of course my Favorite App once again is
    951990348_sDMtC-M.jpg
    I can not thank you enough for making my iPhone so cool!!!!! wings.gif
    edited July 31, 2010
    :Dbowdown.gif derf for this amazing information :D

It is exactly what I wanted ! No. It is more than I wanted :D:D

bowdown.gifbow:D
  • pandarazzipandarazzi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2010
    I'm super happy with the SmugWallet app as well. When I travel overseas I use my photos to communicate where there are language barriers. Waiting for a photo to load is not something most people in the forests of Chiang Mai would be willing to wait for or for that matter, know what they are waiting for...lol

Thank you for the incredible app!! I am relatively new to Smug Mug (long time Fiickrer) and am anxious to get all my images transferred over to my site...then to the SmugWallet! This place rocks!!!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    I have one problem with the latest version. I click magnify and the large
    photo is off to the side only partially showing. I have to hold it to slide over
    and if I let go it pops back to mostly hidden.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    I have one problem with the latest version. I click magnify and the large photo is off to the side only partially showing. I have to hold it to slide over and if I let go it pops back to mostly hidden.

Yeah, there is some weird bug with iOS 4 that I am having a very difficult time debugging related to the zooming issue. That is the major thing holding me back from releasing an update that supports the iPhone 4 high-res screen. I've got multiple projects, but this is something I am looking into and hope to release a fix for soon.

Matt
  • bradorrbradorr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    SmugWallet on iPhone 4
    Hi,

Just bought the app tonight, am transfering my images down. One question on the auto-rotate setting, what's that suppose to do ? I'm not seeing any real effect. My impression on what it does is something that "I think I read somewhere" that it will auto rotate the picture so that it's 'full screen' all the time regardless of the orientation of the iphone. If that's the case, I'm not seeing it do that. Can you let me know if that's what is suppose to happen ?

I see that you have some iPhone 4 fixes coming..

Also, if you were ever going to expand capabilities, it'd be nice if you could transfer down keywords and allow filtering or searching through spotlight based on those keywords. yeah, that'd be neat.

thx,
    brad
    SmugWallet 4.0 coming soon!
    bradorr wrote: »
    My impression on what it does is something that "I think I read somewhere" that it will auto rotate the picture so that it's 'full screen' all the time regardless of the orientation of the iphone. If that's the case, I'm not seeing it do that.

The behavior you seek will be accomplished if you turn Auto Rotation OFF. Auto Rotation causes the photos to always appear upright regardless of how you hold the phone, and "auto rotate" into an upright position as you turn the phone. Turning this off restores the original behavior in which all photos were displayed full screen regardless of phone orientation.
    I see that you have some iPhone 4 fixes coming..

Yep! I should have version 4.0 to Apple within a couple days for their approval, and it will include some cool new features:

- View image filenames and captions
    - Perform background syncing on iOS 4
    - Select Ken Burns, Fade or Instant slideshow effects
    - Specify slide duration and auto-rotation during slideshow
    - All graphics and code updated for iPhone 4 retina display
    - Bug Fix: Collected photos no longer appear out of order in original album
    - Bug Fix: Videos will play in correct auto-rotation orientation
    Also, if you were ever going to expand capabilities, it'd be nice if you could transfer down keywords and allow filtering or searching through spotlight based on those keywords.

This is something I will try to work into a future release, but not 4.0. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    I have one problem with the latest version. I click magnify and the large photo is off to the side only partially showing. I have to hold it to slide over and if I let go it pops back to mostly hidden.

I believe I have fixed this bug in the upcoming release, but if it still appears when you get SmugWallet 4.0, please let me know. It is still a couple days until I submit the new version to Apple for approval.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
  • bradorrbradorr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    mattwright wrote: »
    The behavior you seek will be accomplished if you turn Auto Rotation OFF. Auto Rotation causes the photos to always appear upright regardless of how you hold the phone, and "auto rotate" into an upright position as you turn the phone. Turning this off restores the original behavior in which all photos were displayed full screen regardless of phone orientation.

Yep! I should have version 4.0 to Apple within a couple days for their approval, and it will include some cool new features:

- View image filenames and captions
    - Perform background syncing on iOS 4
    - Select Ken Burns, Fade or Instant slideshow effects
    - Specify slide duration and auto-rotation during slideshow
    - All graphics and code updated for iPhone 4 retina display
    - Bug Fix: Collected photos no longer appear out of order in original album
    - Bug Fix: Videos will play in correct auto-rotation orientation

This is something I will try to work into a future release, but not 4.0. Thanks for the feedback!

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility

Hey, Thanks so much for the reply, and all the cool work your doing on the app... looking forward to the update.

brad