Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I upgraded to Tiger today, all seems to be going well.

One thing that is different are my displayed fonts on certain webpages. The front page of dgrin looks different, the main forum fonts look fatter/blurrier than before. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing that?

I don't know. It doesn't bother me, but you could check the Appearance preference pane in System Prefs.

Hold down cmd-ctl-d and pass your mouse over the word Appearance, while holding down the three buttons. You can move your mouse and the window will update!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't know. It doesn't bother me, but you could check the Appearance preference pane in System Prefs.

Hold down cmd-ctl-d and pass your mouse over the word Appearance, while holding down the three buttons. You can move your mouse and the window will update!

I tweaked the settings in Appearance, still not what I was used to, but now I am getting used to it.
    edited June 3, 2005
    A cruel, cruel very well done joke webpage, here.

Perhaps Monday it will come true? Where the praying smilie? :D
    edited July 13, 2005
    I finally did it, ordered a G5 dual 2.7, 8gb ram, 20" CD and a few other odds and ends, oh yeah went with an Epson 2400 a couple weeks ago too. deal.gif

I cannot wait any longer, I am sure they will announce that they are putting the dual cores in next week, even so this is a massive jump for me going from a 1ghtz PB with 1gb ram. clap.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 13, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I finally did it, ordered a G5 dual 2.7, 8gb ram, 20" CD and a few other odds and ends, oh yeah went with an Epson 2400 a couple weeks ago too. deal.gif

I cannot wait any longer, I am sure they will announce that they are putting the dual cores in next week, even so this is a massive jump for me going from a 1ghtz PB with 1gb ram. clap.gif

Welcome aboard, Patch, you're gonna love it.

Do you think you really will need 8GB of RAM?? - Even I think that's a lot.:D I spent the money instead for the 23" display. But you could always add a 2nd 20" display to hold the palettes in PS. Or use an older monitor as a 2nd display; that is what I used to do on my previous windoze box.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 14, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Welcome aboard, Patch, you're gonna love it.

Do you think you really will need 8GB of RAM?? - Even I think that's a lot.:D I spent the money instead for the 23" display. But you could always add a 2nd 20" display to hold the palettes in PS. Or use an older monitor as a 2nd display; that is what I used to do on my previous windoze box.

I have a 19" Lacie and those two will use all the space I currently have. I would have gotten at least 5gb, so what is 3 more? :D I can dedicated 4gb to PS and still have plenty to run a lot of other programs at the same time. ne_nau.gif I just want to go through this once for the next couple years. My next computer will probably be a new Powerbook when the Intel switch is figured out.
    edited July 14, 2005
    Wow. I am loving my new G5, why didn't I do this sooner. headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif Oh yeah, because a G5 with no ram is no fun.

The 20" Cinema Display is awesome, of course I am coming from a 15" laptop. My 19" Lacie seems so small. I cannot imagine the 30" at home, you probably could run one monitor with the 23". This is plenty for me. Still installing software, but PS is running and printing to the 2400. thumb.gif

What will I be wanting in 2-3 years when the intel chips are in full swing. :D
    edited July 14, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

Congrats! Sweet, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited July 14, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Congrats! Sweet, eh?

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif You truly do not know what you are missing until you see how the other side works. :D
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif You truly do not know what you are missing until you see how the other side works. :D

hey, cool news, patch! enjoy your new system thumb.gif
    edited July 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    hey, cool news, patch! enjoy your new system thumb.gif

Thanks right now I am getting everything running and trying to see if I can slow it down making batch raw conversions with a lot of other apps open. It keeps on trucking. thumb.gif
    edited July 15, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

:D:D I told you, you were going to love it!! And Spotlight is cool too!!

edited July 15, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    :D:D I told you, you were going to love it!! And Spotlight is cool too!!

I do love it. I am surprised how much I like the new monitor. I guess working on my old Powerbook monitor tainted my view of LCDs, but the Cinema Displays are awesome. I can see why CRTs are going away. I believe even Lacie announced that they are stopping CRT production, from what I heard. If I knew that, I might have seriously gone with a 23", anyone want to buy a new 20" and few month old 19" Lacie. :D

I am still a little mixed on spotlight. I wish it had display prefs that the user could set for viewing options, but I am getting used to it.
    edited July 23, 2005
    Anyone have a battery backup for their Powermac G5? If so, what do you use? ear.gif
    edited July 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Anyone have a battery backup for their Powermac G5? If so, what do you use? ear.gif

Patch I got several battery b/u devices scattered around for my desktop boxes. I have an APC 1100 for my Win XPbox and a Belkin 900VA for my MAC.
    Both seem to work fine. I do not use software to power down my machines by the battery B/U boxes though, since when I am not at my desk I put the boxes to sleep anyway - but not turned off, so I don't have to reboot when I return.

edited July 24, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Patch I got several battery b/u devices scattered around for my desktop boxes. I have an APC 1100 for my Win XPbox and a Belkin 900VA for my MAC.
    Both seem to work fine. I do not use software to power down my machines by the battery B/U boxes though, since when I am not at my desk I put the boxes to sleep anyway - but not turned off, so I don't have to reboot when I return.

Thanks for the info, since I posted I bought an APC 1050va UPS. I tried it and it makes the power supply on the Powermac G5 make a lot of noise, so I google it and it turns out the cheaper units use a stepped (edited to be correct?) sine wave vs a pure sine wave. The users state it is fine, but disturbing no less, so off to APC's website. They do recommend this unit for the G5 I have, but the SMART units they sell have a pure sine wave, so I anted up the dough for the APC Smart-UPS 750, which is a lot more than I want to spend, but after trying it, it does work without the noise caused by the other unit. So all is well and a small price to protect my new computer. There have been a lot of thunderstorms lately and I have had short outages, so it will work well for me.

FYI, OS X users. Many of the units now have a USB connection to the computer, at least Tiger automatically recognizes the UPS and gives you many options to power down the computer after a designated amount of time. I did test it and it works well. It pops up a message informing you to save your work, because it will only power down, not save. So I feel this is a lot better than having the computer's power cut from a power loss. I thought that was very cool that it is built in, just one more small thing Apple does right, no extra software to add. thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I thought that was very cool that it is built in, just one more small thing Apple does right, no extra software to add. thumb.gif

Do Apple online sales count as pr0n?

Just asking, because everytime someone buys one they have little orgasms all over the place.

FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 24, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Do Apple online sales count as pr0n?

Just asking, because everytime someone buys one they have little orgasms all over the place.

FLIPA.gif

You'll never know. :stud blbl.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    You'll never know. :stud blbl.gif

don't worry, patch - it's just mac-envy lol3.gif
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks for the info, since I posted I bought an APC 1050va UPS. I tried it and it makes the power supply on the Powermac G5 make a lot of noise, so I google it and it turns out the cheaper units use a squared (?) sine wave vs a pure sine wave. The users state it is fine, but disturbing no less, so off to APC's website. They do recommend this unit for the G5 I have, but the SMART units they sell have a pure sine wave, so I anted up the dough

Step-sine wave. My G5 is running off of the year old APC Back UPS 800 because I haven't bought a more industrial strength unit. It doesn't make noise and it's handled two electrical outages so far. I'd rather have the sine wave Smart-UPS, but am enjoying the cost savings. Have had SmartUPSes before for desktops and networks.

Congrats on your new box--me too, after years of powerbooking, my posture is better already! Just bought the G5 2.3 dual a couple of weeks ago, with 3 gb of RAM and the 23" inch dispay. Ran the display off of my powerbook for a couple of weeks and there was NO speed degradation, totally surprised by that.

Am very happy about going for more screen vs more RAM. The RAM came from otherworldcomputing (macsales.com) for $209 for 2 gb, best I'd seen. Also from them a 2 drive 500 gb RAID external setup in a nice chassis that looks like the G5. It was only $399 and it's where my media catalog files live, the offline CD/DVD thing wasn't working. Spending spree included updating to CS2 and the complete from the select version of Nik Color Efex 2.0, and lastly DxO Pro which is wonderful for batching event RAW photos for shadow/highlight, noise, optics corrections.

Lynne
    broke but productive and happy
    edited July 24, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Step-sine wave.

Thanks, that sounds better, I read squared on a forum somewhere.

It is a different world now having a lot of ram. I watch the activity monitor to see if I can peg out the ram yet. I think I used just about six GB the other day and it was a chore to get it to go there, even then there was a block labeled inactive vs free.

When I watch the CPU monitor it show user, system, nice and idle in %. What does nice stand for and when is that active? ne_nau.gif Just curious.
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks, that sounds better, I read squared on a forum somewhere.

It is a different world now having a lot of ram. I watch the activity monitor to see if I can peg out the ram yet. I think I used just about six GB the other day and it was a chore to get it to go there, even then there was a block labeled inactive vs free.

When I watch the CPU monitor it show user, system, nice and idle in %. What does nice stand for and when is that active? ne_nau.gif Just curious.

I'm pretty sure it refers to programs that have reserved a chunk of memory for scheduled things (like checking e-mail on an interval) which are well-behaved! Making a reservation rather than barging in wearing flip flops and a tank top.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Possible convert
    I can't believe I just read this entire posteek7.gif.

Well I think I'm going to get a MAC eventually. Anyone know when or if they are ever going to release a G5 Powerbook? Dual processor would be niceclap.gif .

Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 2, 2005
    Apple finally did it. The Might Mouse. but it is wired. eek7.gifheadscratch.gif When do we get a wireless version?
    edited August 2, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Anyone know when or if they are ever going to release a G5 Powerbook? Dual processor would be niceclap.gif .

Nick

Probably never. I would be the next Powerbook revision will be with the new Intel chips.

I just converted a friend of mine to Apple. He bought a 17" imac and he was amazed at how easy it was to set up. He said he plugged his camera in, it downloaded the images and he printed a couple out. He is not a computer or photo guy, but a dad just happy to have an easy to use computer. clap.gif
    edited August 2, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Probably never. I would be the next Powerbook revision will be with the new Intel chips.

I just converted a friend of mine to Apple. He bought a 17" imac and he was amazed at how easy it was to set up. He said he plugged his camera in, it downloaded the images and he printed a couple out. He is not a computer or photo guy, but a dad just happy to have an easy to use computer. clap.gif

My dad just upgraded to a Mac, he was tired of reinstalling XP over and over and all the slow-downs he was experiencing. He really likes his Mac, but I have to say, what's up with Intuit making it such a pain in the butt to migrate from PC to Mac? You'd think that with Quicken would be easy to move files from one to the other, if they'd designed it right.

I was talking my dad through some Mac basics over the phone. My mom was watching him, and the moment she saw the widgets she asked if the Mac laptop could do that, too. The day before she had been saying that she wished he had just gone and bought another Dell. After that little demo she wants one, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have to say, what's up with Intuit making it such a pain in the butt to migrate from PC to Mac? You'd think that with Quicken would be easy to move files from one to the other, if they'd designed it right.

It's just divergent codebases, although I was surprised too. It shouldn't have been that hard to make it automagic.

I have a house full of Macs and PCs and find myself recommending Macs more and more. They just work better, presuming you can find the software you need.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    what's up with Intuit making it such a pain in the butt to migrate from PC to Mac? You'd think that with Quicken would be easy to move files from one to the other, if they'd designed it right.

It's sad. Quicken started on the Mac many years ago, then they lost touch with their roots when they moved away from home.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Apple finally did it. The Might Mouse. but it is wired. eek7.gifheadscratch.gif When do we get a wireless version?
    A review by PC World.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    A review by PC World.

But Nightingale just HAD to have a Mighty Mouse. I ordered it for her last night ne_nau.gif