Options

Newbie, on a budget, what to do?!

Dirty KarlosDirty Karlos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 7, 2010 in Wildlife
Hi all, loving the forum, hoping to get some good advice.
My love of nature watching is leading me towards taking my photography a bit more seriously. I've been using a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm & a 55-200mm for the past couple of years, and with that limited kit, been getting some acceptable results.
I have a budget of £1500 (roughly $2300), now what would be my best option?

1. Go for a nice new camera body and buy a good lens when funds allow

2. Buy the best possible lens for my D40

3. Digiscope?

Please advise people!

Thanks in advance.
:scratch

Comments

• Options
    CKjeepCKjeep Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    i was using the same combo as you up until 2 weeks ago. i now have the D90 w/ 18-105 vr (kit) lens and couldn't be happier. The D90 has what i was missing on the D40 without going into Pro bodies.
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I'd spend the money on a good lens! A good lens will give you more options than a body (in my opinion). Unless you're looking for specific features that a new body will do that your old one won't, invest in the glass.mwink.gif Just my 2 cents (or in your case, 2 pence, Laughing.gif!).
    Hi all, loving the forum, hoping to get some good advice.
    My love of nature watching is leading me towards taking my photography a bit more seriously. I've been using a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm & a 55-200mm for the past couple of years, and with that limited kit, been getting some acceptable results.
    I have a budget of £1500 (roughly $2300), now what would be my best option?

1. Go for a nice new camera body and buy a good lens when funds allow

2. Buy the best possible lens for my D40

3. Digiscope?

Please advise people!

Thanks in advance.
    headscratch.gif
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I have had the opportunity to use better lenses on my XTi and that change alone was huge. I would also go with the suggestion of going with better lenses/glass.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Better lens for sure
  • Options
    How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I think a better lens is a good idea but you have a lot of money to invest! If I were in your shoe's I'd get a D90 with the kit lens. That's an 18-105. I got it for my D5000 and it's become my favorite lens. I'd also go with a 170-500 Sigma. I also have that lens and it does a great job. By doing that you have everything from 18mm to 500mm covered. Actually with the 1.5 crop you'd have 27mm t0 750 mm covered and with your 55-200, everything overlaps a bit.

I got the D5000 as a referb for a good price, didn't know my old lens wouldn't focus. Really nice camera with about everything the D90 has. I did it again I'd get the D90 and use all my Nikon lens!

Now you could blow the whole $2300 on just a lens and get a really nice lens. I'm a thrifty guy and can't see spending that kind of money on one as what my 170-500 cost for a difference in quality I might not even recognize! If you start making this hobby pay at some point it get's a lot easier to justify spending $2300 on a lens.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I would replace the D40. Its a fine camera but with its limitation on available lenses and its 6 mp it really limits your possibilities.

With your budget I would go with a D90 its has 12 MP which gives you a whole lot more leeway for cropping and its good up to ISO 1600 for low light shooting. You can gte a D90 for around $800 - $900.

A really fine lens with a reasonable price is the Nikon 300 f/4. Its AF is fast and its IQ is excellent. It sells for around $1300 new and there a quite a few used ones out for sale if you look around. You can always add a 1.4 or 1.7 TC to it later to give you reach up to 510mm
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Ditto Harry's suggestion. With your budget you can get both the high quality 300 f/4 lens and a D90. You can keep using the 18-55 for landscapes, the 55-200 as a "walkaround" lens, and the 300 for some pretty serious wildlife photography. If you are going to do birds in flight or something that makes a faster frame rate desireable, you can pick up a D200 for about the same price as the D90. Same pixel count but the D200 does not have the CMOS sensor like the D90. But for a nominal sum you can get noise reducing software like NeatImage which does a pretty darn good job. I upgraded from a D200 to D300 to get the CMOS sensor and in hindsight I don't think the expense was warranted ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...