Options

Canada Day Fire

digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
edited July 4, 2010 in Street and Documentary
It had been a very quite and uneventful Canada Day. As I flipped some ribs on the BBQ, I looked up and over my neighbour's house to see a giant plume of black smoke. Sirens in the distance were getting louder.

I grabbed my camera and ran around the corner of my street to see a new house fully engulfed in flames. I've never been this close to a fire. The fire looked unstoppable.

920341701_r4BV5-M.jpg

At this point, the fire department was turning their efforts to saving the house on the right. From my vantage point, it didn't look good.

920343155_4MeMF-M.jpg

The police were now arriving and began moving the growing crowd back across the street. It was more chaotic by the moment.

920344629_Mn52P-M.jpg

From behind the house, one could see a bit of fire in the roof. Not a good sign.

920347132_Ha4ds-M.jpg

A ladder truck was just setting up to assist in the battle.

920348758_W7sgM-M.jpg

920352288_xmtbW-M.jpg

But in the end, the second house was lost, too.

921781594_fVfyx-S.jpg921781894_VexHQ-S.jpg

Everything was over in just 30 minutes ... But the cleanup went on for hours.

921782738_mf5zL-M.jpg
921784868_Uwk3R-M.jpg

921785385_2zRft-M.jpg

Although you can see the physical impact of the fire, what you don't see is the emotional impact. As the fire raged, many people, mostly children, sobbed uncontrollably. It was a very terrifying event. I just didn't feel right turning my camera on the people around me, so my only photos are of the buildings.

I felt much the same too. It was hard not to tremble and feel helpless. Our sense of safety had been violated this day.

So for those that will be celebrating July 4th tomorrow, be safe, and give thanks to those that put their own safety on the line to protect ours.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Very nice work documenting a real tragedy. The emotional scars can last a lifetime.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    Nice work, Brad. It must have been terribly upsetting. Reading between the lines, I guess there were no injuries, so it could have been worse.
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Oh my....how devastating! I've only witnessed one house fire and it was terrifying how quickly something can be destroyed. My heart goes out the the families.
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice work, Brad. It must have been terribly upsetting. Reading between the lines, I guess there were no injuries, so it could have been worse.

Yes, the family of 4 got out of the house safely. Just a few minor injuries to other people getting caught up in the pandemonium of the moment (sprained ankle, a few people with breathing problems). Posessions can be replaced, family can't.

Better late than never, my family now has an emergency evacuation plan ...
  • Options
    RockRock Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Great images..... Thanks for sharing them.
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On........

Christopher Kimball Photojournalism