Options

Price Digital File?

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
I shoot youth sports and am getting more request for the digital files. I have not been selling the files because I want to sell multiple copies of prints or various sizes of the same print.

How do I price digital files?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 1, 2005
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    This topic was discussed very recently. See if this helps you: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=15292
    Thanks for the link, however I had found this thread previously via search. Seems as though the photos in the thread are more of a commercial nature than photos of "Little Johnny". Don't think I could get that kind of money out of "Little Johnny's" Mom/Dad.

Thanks for the reply
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    How about the price of an 8x10 or even double that if you want to discourage it?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Bodley
    Ann McRae does something like this.
    She does prints not the files.
    Here's a link but you might try to pm her ne_nau.gif

Fred
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    I shoot youth sports and am getting more request for the digital files. I have not been selling the files because I want to sell multiple copies of prints or various sizes of the same print.

The idea of same price as an 8x10 print is a good idea. Or even more. Think of it this way, a digital file is worth more than a print is. The customer can do more with a digital file. He can make all the prints he wants. Can make it wall paper. Can email it. Etc.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Personally I wouldn't sell it unless it was for a truckload of money. You sell a one time right to the photo with a print. With the digital file you give them the ability to not only make a ton of prints, but also manipulate however they want.

I would set the prices high to discourage this. But that's just me. Some photogs will not sell the digital file at all.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Another, unmentioned, option is to just say that "I don't sell the digital image". It's like selling the 35m neg of a shot. Usually ain't done.
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    Another, unmentioned, option is to just say that "I don't sell the digital image". It's like selling the 35m neg of a shot. Usually ain't done.
    Times are a changin'. The average person is becoming more photo literate, computer literate, and price and service concious. I say sell the digital files, because I know that if it were me being photographed, thats what I would want, not some silly print. You are shooting yourself in the foot if you wont sell them IMO.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    I've used the "I don't sell the digital image" line in the past. Think I may have lost some sales.

What I'm finding is that more people are setting up computer photo albums/slideshows and also using computers to manipulate photos to create scrapbook pages. Since these photos are of their kids I can see them wanting/using the digital files. Besides if I don't offer the product they will just purchase the 4x6 and scan the photo.

Maybe some sort of pay scale based on photo resolution. headscratch.gif
    Greg
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Chase wrote:
    You are shooting yourself in the foot if you wont sell them IMO.
    But at what price - I will also be shooting myself in the foot if I sell the digital file and miss out on some 16x20 sales.
    Greg
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    I've used the "I don't sell the digital image" line in the past. Think I may have lost some sales.

What I'm finding is that more people are setting up computer photo albums/slideshows and also using computers to manipulate photos to create scrapbook pages. Since these photos are of their kids I can see them wanting/using the digital files. Besides if I don't offer the product they will just purchase the 4x6 and scan the photo.

I was just about to suggest that. If they jsut want it for a Desktop background or a digital scrapbook they will not print then sell them a low res version that would print poorly.

Or possible sell the digital file as part of a package deal. "Buy the Digital package which includes x amount of 8x10's and includes a medium res version of the file on CD, or x amount of 16x20's and includes a high res version of the file on CD."

This would give you the sales from the prints but also give them files for online posting or whatever they want it for.

Just my .02
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    I sell digital files, and in my experience, people don't do large prints themselves. When they print big, they like having that done professionally. So even though I sell digital files myself, I still get the big print orders and a surprising amount of 4x6 and 5x7 orders too.

Bodley wrote:
    But at what price - I will also be shooting myself in the foot if I sell the digital file and miss out on some 16x20 sales.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    This line of reasoning is often used. However, its not valid, for several reasons, the most important of which is that a digital file has more utility to the customer than a film negative does. Both will allow one to make prints. The digital file also allows for emailing, making into a wall paper, etc. There is more utility to the digital negative, which should in turn make it more valuable to the customer. It makes me re-think my "8x10" price for a digital negative.

Three to six years ago I raced shifter karts. This is something I photograph now. There is some irony in the story I'm about to tell that has not escaped me. When I was racing I had no desire to purchase prints. But I would purchase digital files. What I'm getting at is some photographers will claim that if they sell me the digital file that they lose out on print sales. Nope. If they don't sell me the digital file they lose entirely. I will not buy a print if they don't offer the file. So they can either get some of my money, or none of it.

And lets get real, these photos are NOT going to show up in an ad for Honda, Yamaha, Birel, Trackmagic, or whatever.

People use photos in new ways thanks to computers. They are not just something that gets hung on a wall or stuffed in an album any longer. They are used in many more ways than that. And photographers either need to realize this and find a way to adapt to it, or be left behind.

And lastly, scanners make it possible to get a digital file anyway. I had one racing customer actually tell me that if I didn't offer digital files he would order a 4x6, scan it, and turn it into his wallpaper for his computer. After all, that is what he really wanted, not a print, but wall paper. And business is about finding out what customers want, and finding a way to provide it profitably.

You cannot make the world stand still to the old way of doing things.

I would say sell a digital file for no less than an 8x10 print, possibly for the price of 2. And beware of selling a lower-res for less money. I actually down-rezed a file to 1024 by 768, which is typical screen resolution. The 8x10 print it made was very surprising to me. It was significantly better than I had expected.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Bodley wrote:

When I shot the Choreographic Works Dance show earlier this year, I offered exactly that. I offered them a CD, (10$ or something like that) with *EVERY* single photo, at low resolution, because I'm lazy and didn't want to be making custom CD's for each peice.

Worked for me :-)
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    For little league photos, I would definately offer the file. My gut tells me 2x the price of an 8x10.

I would not suggest always selling the file, but in the kid's sport's concept, it seems reasonable. I don't think, for example, I would sell the file for a wedding.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Hi Bodley

I have just come across this event photographers web site and price list, and s/he sells digital files. Have a look:
    https://www.tpssportsphotos.bc.ca/information/prices.php

Remeber these are cdn prices, and market specific, but it is a good starting point.

Ann
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Bill, you make very valid points in a very well reasoned manner. Yep, offering digital files has to be done - I wonder if cd burners will replace on site printing?!!

ann
    mercphoto wrote:
    This line of reasoning is often used. However, its not valid, for several reasons, the most important of which is that a digital file has more utility to the customer than a film negative does. Both will allow one to make prints. The digital file also allows for emailing, making into a wall paper, etc. There is more utility to the digital negative, which should in turn make it more valuable to the customer. It makes me re-think my "8x10" price for a digital negative.

Three to six years ago I raced shifter karts. This is something I photograph now. There is some irony in the story I'm about to tell that has not escaped me. When I was racing I had no desire to purchase prints. But I would purchase digital files. What I'm getting at is some photographers will claim that if they sell me the digital file that they lose out on print sales. Nope. If they don't sell me the digital file they lose entirely. I will not buy a print if they don't offer the file. So they can either get some of my money, or none of it.

And lets get real, these photos are NOT going to show up in an ad for Honda, Yamaha, Birel, Trackmagic, or whatever.

People use photos in new ways thanks to computers. They are not just something that gets hung on a wall or stuffed in an album any longer. They are used in many more ways than that. And photographers either need to realize this and find a way to adapt to it, or be left behind.

And lastly, scanners make it possible to get a digital file anyway. I had one racing customer actually tell me that if I didn't offer digital files he would order a 4x6, scan it, and turn it into his wallpaper for his computer. After all, that is what he really wanted, not a print, but wall paper. And business is about finding out what customers want, and finding a way to provide it profitably.

You cannot make the world stand still to the old way of doing things.

I would say sell a digital file for no less than an 8x10 print, possibly for the price of 2. And beware of selling a lower-res for less money. I actually down-rezed a file to 1024 by 768, which is typical screen resolution. The 8x10 print it made was very surprising to me. It was significantly better than I had expected.