Options

Fireworks farming (or, a few from the Fourth)

ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited July 10, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
The local 4th of July fireworks show here was Saturday night (the 3rd). The fireworks are launched from a beach about 300 yards from where we're staying. That beach is downhill from us, so the fireworks go off just barely above eye level when we're sitting on the deck — nothing like front row seats for a fireworks show!

This show was in a fairly rural area, so the background behind the shots was essentially barren. No high rise buildings, no street lights, only the occasional tree line showing up during the really low altitude bursts.

The cool thing about fireworks without backgrounds is that they can be used to augment other photos without having to hassle with removing backgrounds from the fireworks themselves. :D

Here are a few of my favorites from the show a few hours ago:

1) A red, white, and blue burst to kick things off right:

922506458_uWHpZ-L.jpg

2) A lollipop so you have a snack during the show:

922503038_rnfkY-L.jpg

3) A big red flower for the one you love (and it's not even valentine's day yet):

922507603_8iuBn-L.jpg

4) This shot's not big enough for both of us:

922503680_JyM9g-L.jpg

5) A splash of color:

922504704_RHJkk-L.jpg

6) Honest, I was using a tripod officer!

922505925_kH2cv-L.jpg

7) Two for the price of one:

922505562_nxCDu-L.jpg

8) Warp Factor 5, Mr. Sulu - get us to the finale quickly:

922507163_EqPZ3-L.jpg

9) Big closing number:

922508486_tReP7-L.jpg

10) An encore shot because you've been such a good audience: :D

922507935_V9mST-L.jpg

I took about 170 shots during the show and was surprised how many came out usable (other than the complete lack of interesting backgrounds). :wink

#10 is my favorite by far!

Comments

• Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Killer shots! These are the type of shots that it's impossible not to like. Good job.

I've enjoyed shooting fireworks myself the past couple nights. First time but it sure is fun going through the results!
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks for the kinds words. I wish I had another fireworks show to shoot tonight - I had a blast shooting last night (no pun intended). rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Long Train Runnin'Long Train Runnin' Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Wow! great job I tried my hand at shooting fireworks last night you did a great job!
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Are you planning to post any of your shots? It's cool seeing the different fireworks from different areas.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Wow like them a lot. That last one is truly awesome
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    WOW. those were amazing
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    What a group of winners! Beautiful! clap.gif Thanks for sharing!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Wow like them a lot. That last one is truly awesome

Thanks! That one is my favorite. It, and #8, were caused by zooming in while the shutter was being held open. I got lucky on the colors popping at the time I was zooming.

I only tried zooming-while-shooting on a few shots since I wasn't sure how it would work out. For those two, I got very very luck. :D
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    WOW. those were amazing

I had a blast playing with the camera during the show. The best part is that I was still able to watch the show. I set the camera up in advance and just kept hitting/releasing the remote shutter button as shells were launched.

How long to keep it open was a bit of guesswork. You can capture just a single burst, or keep it open to let several pile up together. Some of the double bursts I caught were actually two shells going off together, but most are consecutive shell bursts.

I had to guess as the initial framing/zooming, then fine tune it slightly once the show started. Some went out of frame, but enough were in-frame that it wasn't worth trying to chase them all over. Much easier to reframe/crop afterwards as long as the initial zoom was enough to have good detail.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to shoot fireworks again!

Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »

Thanks for checking them out (and especially for chiming in). They were a lot of fun to shoot. I ended up with almost 175 shots which really surprised me. I didn't think the show was nearly long enough for that many shots.
  • Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Interesting perspective on #8. I'm not sure how that happened. A great series over all.

OK ... I just read the response right above mine so now I know how it happened. I love that shot! Nice work!.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    Interesting perspective on #8. I'm not sure how that happened. A great series over all.

OK ... I just read the response right above mine so now I know how it happened. I love that shot! Nice work!.

Thanks!

#8 was also cropped afterwards to bring up detail. I just checked the original RAW file and that shot was all in the lower left quadrant (reaching almost to the center of the frame). Things streaming towards the lens ended up stretched and things streaming away from the lens ended up with their paths compressed. When I was processing that shot, it reminded me of the special effects used when spacecraft accelerate to light speed. :D

I have another warped shot in my gallery where only some of the bursts were affected. In that one, the bursts that weren't affected happened after I zoomed (the shutter was kept open after the zooming to catch additional bursts). It's weird to look at those and ponder why some bursts are warped and some aren't.
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    Thanks!

#8 was also cropped afterwards to bring up detail. I just checked the original RAW file and that shot was all in the lower left quadrant (reaching almost to the center of the frame). Things streaming towards the lens ended up stretched and things streaming away from the lens ended up with their paths compressed. When I was processing that shot, it reminded me of the special effects used when spacecraft accelerate to light speed. :D

I have another warped shot in my gallery where only some of the bursts were affected. In that one, the bursts that weren't affected happened after I zoomed (the shutter was kept open after the zooming to catch additional bursts). It's weird to look at those and ponder why some bursts are warped and some aren't.

I like that effect too. Pretty cool! I'm surprised though that they aren't squiggly from you bumping camera when you zoomed.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    I like that effect too. Pretty cool! I'm surprised though that they aren't squiggly from you bumping camera when you zoomed.

There is a little bit of squiggle from my hand on the lens. You have to look close to see it because there are so many lines going everywhere that's it's easy to not notice.

Look right where the lines suddenly change direction - that's where the zooming either started or stopped and the effect of my hand on the lens shows up slightly.

Since I was so close to the launch spot, I was shooting with my 16-85 lens and was zoomed out initially to about 20-ish mm. So, the slight bumping of a short lens doesn't show as much as it would if I were zoomed all the way with my big lens (which goes to 300mm).

Being close hides all sorts of rookie mistakes. rolleyes1.gif

I definitely want to play with that effect more next time (including finding some way to be gentler when doing it - I don't think I can adjust the zoom on my D90 via tethered shooting so I may have to put my hand on the lens BEFORE opening the shutter and leave it on the lens until after I close the shutter).
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I don't normally get excited about fireworks photos, but these are exceptional. clap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    I don't normally get excited about fireworks photos, but these are exceptional. clap.gif

Sam

Thank you!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 6, 2010
    I usually prefer some background for context and scale, but these are so crisp and well exposed that I'll make an exception lol3.gif. Seriously great color and no smoke clouding the air. Very well done. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Beautiful captures
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I usually prefer some background for context and scale, but these are so crisp and well exposed that I'll make an exception lol3.gif. Seriously great color and no smoke clouding the air. Very well done. thumb.gif

Thanks! I would've loved to have had some cool background content though I'm also happy about how black the background ended up being (made it possible to hold the shutter open for long periods of time without having to cover the lens with black material between bursts to avoid blowing out the background).

Thinking about it (for next year), I know a couple other places I could shoot from that are level with the launch spot (instead of slightly above it). But, the backgrounds I'd end up with aren't likely to be interesting (just houses and trees, maybe a few small boats).

I'll have to find another fireworks show to shoot in order to get some decent backgrounds…
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Beautiful captures

Thanks for the compliments. I'm enjoying the attention (this is the most comments I think I've ever garnered on SM) though this was the simplest shooting I think I've ever done. :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Elaine wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Looks like so many folks just flat out grabbed some seriously neat
    ones over all. Pretty sweet from the effort to get er pictured. This round
    I just soaked it all in and the camera stayed parked. A certain peace of
    mind required this time. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    I had a blast playing with the camera during the show. The best part is that I was still able to watch the show. I set the camera up in advance and just kept hitting/releasing the remote shutter button as shells were launched.

How long to keep it open was a bit of guesswork. You can capture just a single burst, or keep it open to let several pile up together. Some of the double bursts I caught were actually two shells going off together, but most are consecutive shell bursts.

I had to guess as the initial framing/zooming, then fine tune it slightly once the show started. Some went out of frame, but enough were in-frame that it wasn't worth trying to chase them all over. Much easier to reframe/crop afterwards as long as the initial zoom was enough to have good detail.

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to shoot fireworks again!

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I here yeah about mocving the camera round to capture them .. I didn't have sutter release but hand click shutter and weighted everything perfectly and for 45min I had held that shutter.. Only regret is that I didn't bring the super wide as close as I was sitting to them..less that 500ft for me this yr..

Will have to get shutter release for next yr

I know what you mean about getting to shoot them again...I can hardly wait
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Looks like so many folks just flat out grabbed some seriously neat
    ones over all. Pretty sweet from the effort to get er pictured. This round
    I just soaked it all in and the camera stayed parked. A certain peace of
    mind required this time. :D

Thanks. I just soaked it in last time but now I'm looking forward to shooting fireworks again next year. Fairly little setup effort required and no need to stare through the view finder shot after shot - the setup and remote release do all the real work so I was able to watch the show with fairly little distraction (just glancing at the camera's screen to see if the shots were working).

I definitely like the effort vs. reward for this shoot. :D
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    Yeah I here yeah about mocving the camera round to capture them .. I didn't have sutter release but hand click shutter and weighted everything perfectly and for 45min I had held that shutter.. Only regret is that I didn't bring the super wide as close as I was sitting to them..less that 500ft for me this yr..

Will have to get shutter release for next yr

I know what you mean about getting to shoot them again...I can hardly wait

I got Nikon's 16-85 VR lens for my birthday earlier this year and it was just perfect for this shoot. I also have Nikon's 10-24 super-wide and love it, but it seemed a bit too wide for this shoot. I could've used either for most of the shots, but only the 16-85 gave me the ability to do the zoom-while-shutter's-open shots so I'm very happy I went with the 16-85. :D

I normally use the IR remote but figured it would be a hassle given the long shutter times so I went with Nikon's wired remote release ("MC-DC2"). The wired release for that camera is pretty cheap - about $25, so it's well worth the money.

Good luck with your next chance.