Options

Interviews .....

AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Weddings
Hey guys!

I thought it would be a fun idea to see if some of the "big" names would agree on a little interview with me / us to give us an idea how they're approaching things. :D

What would you like to know (generally speaking)?

P.s.
I am planning to have 1-2 interviews a month. Shoot me a pm with any names / websites of people that inspire you. I have already a couple in mind, but I'm open for ideas. :D ... We'll see how easy it will be to get them on board ....

Comments

• Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Noooobody?? You guys interested in reading interviews like this at all? Let me know ........ ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Well I think it would be cool, Angie. Really slick idea.

I would like to know how they balance their lives, weddings and other shooting.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Angie why don't you start us off with a self interview on your boudoir photography, how you approach it, interaction with the ladies, equipment etc.
    You are one of the best I have see at boudoir!!
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Well I think it would be cool, Angie. Really slick idea.

I would like to know how they balance their lives, weddings and other shooting.

Ohhh! That's a good one, haven't thought about him! Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    what happens if you are one of them? ;)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    zoomer wrote: »
    Angie why don't you start us off with a self interview on your boudoir photography, how you approach it, interaction with the ladies, equipment etc.
    You are one of the best I have see at boudoir!!

Haha! A self-interview??? You are too funny... Thanks, I appreciate it, but there are soooo many other photographers that do a wayyy better job than I do, haha! rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif

Feel free to shoot me any questions tough, I'd be happy to "help" thumb.gif Have you ever had a boudoir shoot?
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Foques wrote: »
    what happens if you are one of them? ;)

Oh my gosh you guys, hahahahah! rolleyes1.gif I think in that case one of you guys needs to ask the questions thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I guess I'm more confused as to what you are looking for? You want to interview us? About what?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    I got a question or 10 for AgniesZka the great about boudoir photography:

-How do you get your girls to look so comfortable? Do you use some of Yuri's sweet talking?
    -Also, poses...... You just rock the house with those.
    -How much time do you spend with each client?
    -How many photos do you take & deliver for each session? How much processing do you do?
    -Do you give "clothing guidelines" for boudoir sessions? Care to share?
    -Do you work with an assistant/ second for your marathon boudoir sessions?

There... that should get you started.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010

-How do you get your girls to look so comfortable? Do you use some of Yuri's sweet talking?
    -How many photos do you take & deliver for each session? How much processing do you do?

Ooh! I like where this is going! ear.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I thought it would be a fun idea to see if some of the "big" names would agree on a little interview with me / us to give us an idea how they're approaching things. :D

What would you like to know (generally speaking)?

P.s.
    I am planning to have 1-2 interviews a month. Shoot me a pm with any names / websites of people that inspire you. I have already a couple in mind, but I'm open for ideas. :D ... We'll see how easy it will be to get them on board ....

Mmmmm…

…well, a nice idea in theory, but I think you might blanch when you find out their rates!

headscratch.gif

"…oh, you want me to spend x hours being interviewed by you, and get paid nothing? zilch? zero? …well lady, it doesn't quite work like that, allow me to explain…"

Oh dear…

eek7.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2010
    This forum has some amazing photographers who could be a start for Agnieszka, and by the time she'll be done with them here, i'm thinking, that blog will be popular enough for big name guys wanting to do it..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    I guess I'm more confused as to what you are looking for? You want to interview us? About what?

No, I was actually thinking about people outside this forum ... just some fun, cool photographers whose work might inspire us all mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    Mmmmm…

…well, a nice idea in theory, but I think you might blanch when you find out their rates!

headscratch.gif

"…oh, you want me to spend x hours being interviewed by you, and get paid nothing? zilch? zero? …well lady, it doesn't quite work like that, allow me to explain…"

Oh dear…

eek7.gif

- Wil

Ok, you're kidding right??? Ugh .. yeah, I see your point ... headscratch.gif Well, might be worth a shot anyway, maybe I should not grab the VERY big guys ...
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010

Hahaha, you're cracking me up (and thanks for capitalizing my Z, will be a trademark from now on rolleyes1.gif) Let's seeeeeee:

> Oh my gosh, are you serious??? They're suuper nervous. I had one that maybe said 2 words during the whole shoot, she even lost her voice, she was so nervous, haha! BUT most of them loosen up after 5-10 minutes. I tell them that the first couple of poses are ALWAYS awkward (for everybody), and that they shouldn't worry about it. I usually try to just not think about it too much, and ask them some questions about their wedding ... small talk usually helps :D

> Haha! Thanks! I started of looking at other peoples boudoir shoots, and got some inspiration there ... and after a while (I admit) I had my "usual" ~20 poses that I did with every girl. Some of them worked, some didn't. My philosophy is to get as many poses as possible, so they like *some* of them thumb.gif

> 1-1.5h. After that they're tired ... so am I (but I usually have 4girls each day I have a marathon)

> Ohhhh, I'm special like this ... rolleyes1.gif I usually don't delete them unless they're out of focus. You will not like my answer to this one (and to be honest it's killing me with all the work that is involved). I have them give me different looks each pose, so I take ~500 photos, they get around 200. I don't recommend taking that many, nor giving that many to your clients, I just do because I know I'd want to have a choice + everybody is so self conscious about their body .... I'd say usually photographers "give" / upload 20-50 pics each session.
    How much procession I do?? A lot. Nobody has perfect skin, and I don't want anybody to fell bad about themselves. These sessions should make you feel good.

> guidelines? Nope ... some advice maybe? I tell them that corsages look great (+ they work for all body types), and send them some links to places with some cool stuff thumb.gif

> haha .. ohhhh nooooo. The first session I did, I had my second with me (I didn't want to be there alone, haha). It was not the best shoot ever. Then I had a friend who wanted to join me, as she wanted to start offering them too - and does a way better job with them than me!!!). I had her join me at one session, where I kind of thought the client would be easy to work with. It went great. We both came up with great poses, and it was really fun & refreshing to see her work. I'd not recommend to have a second shooter, makes the girls too nervous ... But that's just my thought ... but I do have a hair & make0up artist do the pre-pep talk for me lol3.gif

I actually just finished my boudoir "career" beginning this year. I had an overdosis last year, and am donedy-done with them. Need to come up with something else, .... actually .... already have something in mind, but it's still in the works :cool

Anything elseeeeee??????? ear.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    I got one for you!

Do you have any leftover free time?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    I got one for you!

Do you have any leftover free time?

A girl or a question?

If it's a girl, nooo ... :cry but send her my way anyway, and I'll be suuuper happy to send her over to my friend.

If it's a question; anytime! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Oops! That was meant as a question! rolleyes1.gif

With all the shoots you get as a pro (and a new momz) do you get any free time?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Oops! That was meant as a question! rolleyes1.gif

With all the shoots you get as a pro (and a new momz) do you get any free time?

Nope. :cry but it's all worth it. :D

I've been swamped with eng shoots, weddings, and now I get a loooot of baby shoots (go figure, haha). So now I entertain my little peanut 8am-7pm ... hubbers comes come at 7, and I work until 2/3am ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Nope. :cry but it's all worth it. :D

I've been swamped with eng shoots, weddings, and now I get a loooot of baby shoots (go figure, haha). So now I entertain my little peanut 8am-7pm ... hubbers comes come at 7, and I work until 2/3am ne_nau.gif

Wow. That is quite the schedule.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    > haha .. ohhhh nooooo. The first session I did, I had my second with me (I didn't want to be there alone, haha). It was not the best shoot ever. Then I had a friend who wanted to join me, as she wanted to start offering them too - and does a way better job with them than me!!!). I had her join me at one session, where I kind of thought the client would be easy to work with. It went great. We both came up with great poses, and it was really fun & refreshing to see her work. I'd not recommend to have a second shooter, makes the girls too nervous ... But that's just my thought ... but I do have a hair & make0up artist do the pre-pep talk for me lol3.gif

Funny... the last boudoir session I did a double. One girl was a VERY innocent bride to be... and the other was one of my assistants that had been married for a couple years and was more experienced. At first it was soo hard to get the young bride to have the right expression, or even get her body to do the right things...and I talked her through a couple ideas. But toward the end it worked very well to have the more experienced gal stand behind me and do a pose, and have the other girl copy it.
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010
    Funny... the last boudoir session I did a double. One girl was a VERY innocent bride to be... and the other was one of my assistants that had been married for a couple years and was more experienced. At first it was soo hard to get the young bride to have the right expression, or even get her body to do the right things...and I talked her through a couple ideas. But toward the end it worked very well to have the more experienced gal stand behind me and do a pose, and have the other girl copy it.

A double?? Doubles are hard .... I had 2. One with just 2 friends (they were toooo funny), and the other one with two sisters, that was interesting. But I found that actually if you have 2 at the same time they're having more fun (but the shoot can get a bit out of control if you favor one).

Soooooo, when will be get to see your pics Sneaky Feather? Or waiiiit, just saw your name in the Go Figure forum ... yayaaaaa :D
  • Options
    edited June 8, 2010

Soooooo, when will be get to see your pics Sneaky Feather? Or waiiiit, just saw your name in the Go Figure forum ... yayaaaaa :D

Ok, I put them back up for a *very* short time. The gals asked me to only put them up for a week, so........ there you go.
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    I often look at the work of this photographer and this photographer.
    Jaye
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    I would also like to add a comment to this idea. I have been the subject of a few interviews for work and can say that having a conversation and sending the questions to the person ahead of time is a great help. I also really like the idea of a podcast of these interviews. I find that the conversational tone is a little more engaging than an article.

I do really appreciate and applaud your idea.

Now in terms of questions:

1) When shooting, do you think about how you are going to process it or is it your approach to get it right in the camera with no processing?
    2) Do you find yourself spending more time composing to avoid Post Processing?
    3) When you don't have natural light available, what is your trick or solution
    4) What got you interested in this form of photography
    5) Who inspired you?
    6) What is your hardware?
    7) iPhone or Android?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2010
    …snip
    7) iPhone or Android?

I think sending the questions ahead of time is A Good Idea, but if you're really going to ask #7, then I think you shouldn't hold back, and might consider a couple more:

#8: Favourite colour
    #9: Innie or Outie

rolleyes1.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    renren Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Photographers I like...
    I have some I would like: Jessica Claire (my friend loves her) and newborn photographers: Tracey Raver, Kelley Ryden and Carrie Sandoval. I also like Parker Pfister Wedding-each piece he processes looks like art ready to hang on a wall.

I think it's a great idea. thumb.gif