Options

wedding help

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Technique
So I get this phone call at nine last night.. the couple whose wedding I'm attending at the end of this month is asking me to take some wedding piccies. I know NOTHING about how to do this nor where to start. Its an older couple, swish black tie evening affair.

Some basic hints on pre wedding shots (it'll be there not at the brides place or anything) wedding shots during the ceremony and immediately after.. I could care less about the reception they will all be drunk. Thoughts are on tripod use? camera settings? shots during the ceremony, where is the photographer, god I don't remember seeing one anywhere before. Flash? or no? what is acceptable.. it's not a church by the way..

I'm terrified..:uhoh HELP!

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    First are you going to be the only photographer?

Second inside = low light. Need to use a High ISO if you can and fast glass.

Ask the person performing the ceremony their rules for the photographer. Some preists, pastors, whatevers, hate photographers and don't like flash. Others are freindly as can be and will let you do whatever.

As far as where to stand again ask the person performing the ceremony some could care less where you stand others have specific places cause they don't wanna see you. Personally as long as you aren't obstructing anyones view, and sticking out like a sore thumb try to shoot from the best places you can find where you think you will get the best angles.

Mostly depends on the location of the wedding and whos performing it. Sometimes one flash isn't enough either when you can use them. Photojournalistic or posed photos? Mix of both? Lots to consider.

I'm sure you will do fantastic though. Look at other photographers galleries and check out books. Barbera Cantrell (I think thats the spelling and her name. Has a great book).

Oh and search out my posts on this stuff as well. Lots of advice already posted on this board and alot is posted under threads I started asking the same questions. Did my first wedding and looking to do more now. After the initial "OMG WTH Did I agree to" it gets easier and fun.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 2, 2005
    If its a swish affair at night, I don't see how you could do it without flash. You remember the similar affair I attended a while back now? Check it out:

22332846-M.jpg

22332886-M.jpg

All I had was my 10D, borrowed 24-70/2.8, and my 580EX. Even with that sweet lens, I would have gotten zero, zilch, nada. It was a dark evening event.

I don't remember, but if you need a flash to borrow, mine is all yours. Play with it a few times, and honestly, most of my better shots from the night were on full flash auto. That little bugger is smart!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Flashes are deffinatley great for this. You might wanna consider using two if you can use the one you mount on your camera as a master and a second as a slave will work much better.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    More details
    Evening, black tie, you'll definitely need a good strong flash.

Where is the ceremony being held?

Find out the name of the officiant and call and ask about flash/photos during the ceremony etc.

The officiant can probably tell you who to contact at the place it's being held for the same questions.

How long will the ceremony take?

How many in the wedding party?

How many attending the wedding?

Besides all the excellent comments you've already gotten in this thread, will you be the only photographer?

Is anyone you know going with you? Someone you could give a second camera to to act as your assistant?

Why did they ask you to take pictures? (Fill in, just want more photos, hired pro can't do it?)

The answers to these questions will help people offering suggestions.

In the meantime, search the web for wedding photographer galleries and information for brides!

You'll find a list of photos most brides want taken somewhere on the internet, discuss these photos with the bride and groom to see what they want.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    I've been talked into a wedding in November as well. I'm an acquaintence with the bride, their budget is low, and their expectations are low. Its either hire me or nobody, because they can't afford a working pro.

The questions I asked were:
    1. Ceremony location (indoor or outdoor, dim or bright lights, will flash be allowed).
    2. Long or short ceremony, long or short reception. Gives you an idea how long you will be shooting, and if rushed or relaxed.
    3. What do they want besides ceremony? Formals, reception, rehersal, etc.
    4. Amount of time between locations (such as, does reception immediately follow the ceremony). Will you be tied up for 8 hours while only doing 3 hours of photography?

I then quoted them a price for the labor only. Prints are to be web ordered from my Smugmug account. This way if they don't like the results they are out a tiny sum. If I do good, I make extra on the prints orders. I think this is a fine way to go for someone like me who doesn't have the experience to guarantee results.

Pre-wedding hints? Get shots of them getting organized. Make-up going on. Bow-tie being tied. Grooming in the mirror. A shot of the rings on the pillow. A shot of the invitation, of the guest register. Of people arriving. Or the empty hall. Pre-ceremony is also a good time for the formals. Bride with maid. Bride with parents. Bride with bridal party. Bride with future in-laws. Ditto the other side.

Reception photos. The cake, the buffet, the band or DJ. Empty tables awaiting guests. The dance floor. The toast. The cutting of the cake and stuffing of faces. And best of all, the young children who are tired and found a place to catch a nap.

You might want to go to the rehersal as well. This will give you an idea what to expect in terms of locations, angles, and lighting.

Camera settings. This is one place where this JPG-fan will definitely shoot RAW. If I was allowed flash I would be tempted to go manual on the camera and automatic on the flash. Set the aperture to give the DOF you want, and a shutter speed from 1/125 to 1/200 to deal with motion, and let the flash do the rest. If I was not allowed flash I would probably go shutter priority to deal with motion blur. I might even be tempted to tell it to underexpose 1 stop and use RAW to bring that back. Would help with the aperture setting. But I could be really wrong about that.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    You guys are wonderful.. thank you all for great help so early. Eric thanks for the loan of your flash you are a sweetie (would I lend my flash out??) but I have one. I have speedlite 420EX and I have my Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 EXDG Lens. I have a fast canon 50mm 1.4 but I think that'll be useless except maybe for early outdoor group shots? Your shots Eric look similar to the kind of event it will be, lighting etc. The thought of using 2 flashes throws me into a cold sweat.. I have trouble enough with one. I'll put it on auto and hope. There may be a chance that the wedding ceremony it'self could be outside early evening maybe.. that might be even more difficult thinking on it tho.. the suggestion of looking at other people's wedding shots is a real good one.. I'm a little scared to do that as I'm gonna be hard pushed to even come close to professional.. (I must not be negative .. I must not be negative... I must..)

thanks again for help.. feel free to add more :uhoh eek7.gifumph.gif1drink.gif Oh and yes.. they may be another photographer there, maybe. There was a death in the family of the other photographer freind so there is a chance he may not show.. hence the phone call to me...
    also.. they said they would obviously compensate me (god forbid) and I said no no, think nothing of it.. my pleasure.eek7.gif

Lynn

as I stand here cutting up salad for dinner I'm seriously contemplating putting it all on auto mwink.gif I have people coming for dinner so I'll practice on them.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I've been talked into a wedding in November as well. I'm an acquaintence with the bride, their budget is low, and their expectations are low. Its either hire me or nobody, because they can't afford a working pro.

The questions I asked were:
    1. Ceremony location (indoor or outdoor, dim or bright lights, will flash be allowed).
    2. Long or short ceremony, long or short reception. Gives you an idea how long you will be shooting, and if rushed or relaxed.
    3. What do they want besides ceremony? Formals, reception, rehersal, etc.
    4. Amount of time between locations (such as, does reception immediately follow the ceremony). Will you be tied up for 8 hours while only doing 3 hours of photography?

I then quoted them a price for the labor only. Prints are to be web ordered from my Smugmug account. This way if they don't like the results they are out a tiny sum. If I do good, I make extra on the prints orders. I think this is a fine way to go for someone like me who doesn't have the experience to guarantee results.

Pre-wedding hints? Get shots of them getting organized. Make-up going on. Bow-tie being tied. Grooming in the mirror. A shot of the rings on the pillow. A shot of the invitation, of the guest register. Of people arriving. Or the empty hall. Pre-ceremony is also a good time for the formals. Bride with maid. Bride with parents. Bride with bridal party. Bride with future in-laws. Ditto the other side.

Reception photos. The cake, the buffet, the band or DJ. Empty tables awaiting guests. The dance floor. The toast. The cutting of the cake and stuffing of faces. And best of all, the young children who are tired and found a place to catch a nap.

You might want to go to the rehersal as well. This will give you an idea what to expect in terms of locations, angles, and lighting.

Camera settings. This is one place where this JPG-fan will definitely shoot RAW. If I was allowed flash I would be tempted to go manual on the camera and automatic on the flash. Set the aperture to give the DOF you want, and a shutter speed from 1/125 to 1/200 to deal with motion, and let the flash do the rest. If I was not allowed flash I would probably go shutter priority to deal with motion blur. I might even be tempted to tell it to underexpose 1 stop and use RAW to bring that back. Would help with the aperture setting. But I could be really wrong about that.
    thanks.. this is really helpful. I usually shoot raw.. great hints.. thanks again.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    First, do your research, then relax!
    I had to shoot my weddings with a Sony F707 and Sony F828 with onboard flash! You are so far ahead of me equipment wise.

Here's a link to some photos at a black tie wedding I attended as a guest.

[URL=http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CaNGrJwxbMQa
    ]Black Tie[/URL]

And here (if I'm setting this up correctly) is a link to an album of 248 photos where I was asked to be a back up photographer and take the "getting ready" shots, and of course I took more later on.
    [URL=http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CaNGrJwxbMQ4
    ]Daylight to evening album[/URL]

Should give you plenty of ideas.

However -- all the plans and ideas you have can be turned upside down by events that just take place unrehearsed.

So you have to relax and go with the flow -- your photos will be much better than NO photos, and while of course you want to do your best, and it IS nerve wracking to say the least you can do it.

A suggestion for you -- go some place where you can practice taking pictures of your friends in a dimly lit or dark place -- a park at night for example and experiment with your flash so you can judge how far and how wide an area it will cover. Be sure to practice!

In your house have someone stand as far away from you as they can so you can again experiment with distance and the flash coverage.

Also, get close to your subject and use the flash to make sure you are not overpowering them, or learn how to set the flash for close up people, middle distance and far distance.

Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more until it becomes automatic.

This alone, will give you confidence, believe me it will -- and then you will feel secure enough to be able to concentrate on composition.

Things move quickly at weddings, so you have to set aside an area or place where you can take the posed formals (even if they are photojournalist style, they still need to be set up) and then when the important photos that you and the bride and groom have settled upon before the wedding are taken, just go with the flow!

Find out about music or dancing -- the cake cutting -- just get the program and timeline so you have the information you need to do a good job for them.

I'm an NOT a professional wedding photographer, BTW -- check out shaystephens.com for example for some good shots.

I'll try to find some more links -- there's a wedding photographer organization on the web that has lots of really pro photo links.

But, also do a search for the "ordinary" wedding photographers to see the difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2005
    Here's the link to Wedding Photojournalist Association
    Now don't get scared off, this is for research and to give you ideas... :):

Wedding Photojournalist Association