Crater Lake NP, Glacier NP, Moyie Lake PP, Kekuli Bay PP

oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
hi all,

midlife crisis seems to be hitting me in a weird way, it's triggering a desire to drive for endless hours just so i can have the privledge of camping at national parks (or crashing on family's couches) to get up before dawn to try and capture something amazing... i'll be doing some of that in a couple of weeks.

first stop will be one night at Crater Lake. then a long drive to Glacier NP (2 nights), followed by a short drive to my brother's in Medicine Hat in Alberta. The return trip will involve: Moyie Lake Provincial Park, BC, Kekuli Bay Provincial park, BC, Port Orchard, WA (another familial couch), and Grant's Pass, OR. and then home.

planned route:http://tinyurl.com/32ycusg

anyhow, i've never been to any of the parks mentioned, or driven the roads involved, but i expect that there will be LOTS and LOTS of amazing views and shooting opportunities inside the parks and along the way.

unfortunately, time will be the issue, so i'll probably have to "settle" for the usual shots of Crater Lake; i know 2 days aren't enough for Glacier, but that's the most i can budget (time wise).

so my question to the dgrin community goes like this: are there any spots i must make all possible efforts (including getting up at 4:30 AM) to visit and shoot?

inside Glacier NP, i'm planning to camp at a different campground each night, just so i'm closer to different places for sunrise (2nd night by Many Glacier); but even then, i'm sure i'll miss many things, so all suggestions are more than welcome (including the must NOT do's).

The Provincial Parks in BC, i have to be honest here, are getting less of my attention right now, maybe because they're further away (time and distance wise) but also because i'll be with my bro and his family, and thus less free to roam and shoot at will. However, i'll do my best to capture their beauty to the limit of my ability (all ideas welcome here too).

thanks all for reading and for your input.

- Diana

Comments

• aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Sounds like an ambitious trip. Lots and lots of driving!

I don't think there's too much to see in Grants Pass, although some of the views along I-5 are pretty spectacular, especially as you are coming into the valley where Grants Pass is located. Driving from the Olympics to Grants Pass in one day is going to be a pretty long drive.

Best of luck, and have a great trip!
  • oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Sounds like an ambitious trip. Lots and lots of driving!

I don't think there's too much to see in Grants Pass, although some of the views along I-5 are pretty spectacular, especially as you are coming into the valley where Grants Pass is located. Driving from the Olympics to Grants Pass in one day is going to be a pretty long drive.

Best of luck, and have a great trip!

thanks!

Grants Pass is supposed to just be a place to sleep. google maps shows it as being the place where i can turn west into CA101 (instead of I-5) so i'll get at least some of the norcal coast.

and yeah, my butt is hurting already just thinking about it.

- Diana