Options

Storage device

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited August 2, 2005 in Accessories
This unit comes recommended to me and looks neat: www.compactdrive.com. Supposed to have very good battery life and exceptional transfer speed. About half the cost an Epson P-2000, but no viewing screen. I'm considering one.
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 2, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    This unit comes recommended to me and looks neat: www.compactdrive.com. Supposed to have very good battery life and exceptional transfer speed. About half the cost an Epson P-2000, but no viewing screen. I'm considering one.
    I bought one of these and just returned from a week-long shoot in Northern Spain with it. It is just a tad larger than I expected and the build is less than rock-solid, so you best not give it any rough handling. You cannot preview pics on it, but this didn't matter to me.

On the plus side, it sucks up a full 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II CF card in just over 2 minutes clap.gif. It also contains a fast AA battery recharger, which meant there was one less thing I had to carry. I used it to recharge my camera batteries. A 60 GB model cost me 230 Euros including courrier delivery from Australia. That is a lot cheaper than anything else I was considering.

I haven't used it very long, but so far I am quite pleased with it. thumb.gifthumb

Cheers.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    I use the Digibin, but that unit looks pretty cool. I went on the cheap and spent $99 for the OEM Digibin and $80 for a 60Gig HD. For less than $200, I had a storage device that takes a CF card directly and transfers it to the device. Easy to use, fairly quick and has it's own LiIon batteries. I don't like the fact that it doesn't run off the charger, just its batteries; so if your batteries are dead, you have to give them some charge before you can use the device. It also works as a computer backup device if you want. The USB is only 1.1, but that doesn't bother me. I've used it several times now without any problems. Not quite as slick as the unit you are looking at though. Hope it all works out for you.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister