917954849_TnCtr-L-1.jpg

917966990_PSkaw-L-1.jpg

917967662_jkvLi-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    When processing less is more.
    Stick to clean well processed images with good color. Expecially just starting out.
    Find better settings for the photos.
    Work in progress, keep at it.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I like #2 better than #1--whole dress is more pleasing to my eye

#3 really like that background. INcluding the ring is always nice. I'd take a little of the head room off above. I would also play around with that background--maybe add saturation and contrast.

#4 i see a lot of cool symbolism in this one--her looking at the curvy road ahead, him looking straight ahead. very clever. I might play with a little higher black point or contrast, maybe a tad more vibrance.

#5/6 I like the process better in 5 than 6, but that is a matter of taste. I would get rid of all the space above the head in both cases. crop a little tighter

good solid work for your first time out. post lots on here; you will learn a ton.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Love 2 and 3. Not digging the "guard-rail" shots.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    nice job. Most of my comments are the same but...

Both dress shots are beautiful but the #2 draws my eye a little more.

#3 is a winner! clap.gif nice processing, maybe crop a little off the top for a tighter look? Also, pump up that red just a tad!

Try cropping number 4 a little closer. I am a little distracted by the green on both sides and I think less of that would make this a better shot. Bring them a little lower in the frame so they aren't so centered? Maybe even crop vertical?

I enjoy 6, better then 5, but the rail kinda kills both shots. maybe crop them a lot closer so you lose most of it? Just a thought.

Great job again. And remember this is just my opinion :D
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I like #3 the best ....

I'm not sure why you'd include both #1 and #2 -- you are the photographer, select the better of the two and only give that.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    imgroundedimgrounded Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2010
    I like the 4th pic the most. Looks like a dreamy effect.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    Love 2 and 3. Not digging the "guard-rail" shots.

Actually, neither is my wife...and she's not to fond of the walking down the highway shot...she says it's not flattering to the bride.

FYI...I usually defer to her tastes...and include her opinion on my processed shots...after all, it's the women that you have to please.

Just thought I'd let you know.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    Good stuff for your first wedding! The guard rail shot??? Why wouldn't you have walked them into the field behind them???
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    #3 is REALLY good.

I like the idea of #4, but I think I would have liked a different perspective, very near the ground perhaps. Something to ponder, anyway.
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    It appears as though every shot posted was taken from the same perspective.

Get lower, get higher, do SOMETHING to make them more dynamic.

1,2(same shot more or less) and 3 are the best of what you posted. Id lose the black part of the image in 1 even if it meant losing some of the lower part of the dress. You didnt get the full length any way so....ne_nau.gif

...I agree with zoomer on processing.
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I like the dress shots. Probably #1 best of them. #3 is a nice shot, except a little too traditional of a pose going on...for my taste. I would recommend getting them in that same basic pose, then have them interact somehow, and catch a few shots that way to loosen up the posey thing.
    The highway shot is ok, but I would have definately had them walking, not standing. It would look much more natural, and you'd get a better photo. Personally I would have shot them farther down the road too, making them a bit smaller in the frame.

The guard rail shots are a definate no go. Guard rails don't belong in wedding photos. At least not as a big factor in the photos, like here.
    Looks like your overall photography skills are good, with exposures and such. Trust me, I've seen some BAAAAAD first wedding photos. You are going to do well I think.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    #3 is good :)

#4 and #6 look weird to me. they look too soft.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    A.) Lose the soft focus, it's kinda 1990. If you're desperate to soften wrinkly skin, and it doesn't look like this is a problem, then maybe play around with certain effects here and there, but as a whole its' just not necessary. No offense, but when someone does an effect like this, it's usually an attempt to spice up an otherwise boring photo. An image should be able to stand on it's own two feet, straight out of the camera. I'm all in favor of processing as part of your art, and many world-class photographers work serious magic in photoshop. But in this case, I'd say lose it, and just focus on a little more compelling composition next time.

B.) #4 could stand a bit of different processing as well, not sure if there's softening going on but if so then lose that as well, but also, the tones just look kinda weird. Her skin is kinda dark, the rest of the image is kinda flat; I'd re-process from scratch and try and find a way to place more emphasis on the bride.

In general, as others have pointed out, you're off to a great start but you definitely need to work the composition a little more. Try and get more compelling images straight out of the camera. This will involve improving your skills in composition, timing, lighting, (or seeing light) ...and posing. (or seeing a flattering angle etc.) These are the core aspects of ANY portrait; without at least one or two of them, an image is just not worth the click. Fortunately, I will say you're doing great and these images are certainly way better than mine were at MY first wedding. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    It might have been cool to have them holding hands - running down the road, away from you...Like running towards their future...

My suggestions when posing a bride and groom facing each other (5&6), you should try to get the bride to turn more so that you see more of the dress. It almost looks like she's hiding behind his jacket or something. You might be able to still save those shots (the one of them holding hands and smiling at each other is precious!), by cropping in and cutting out the guard rail.
    Jasa Wolfrey
    www.sweetscenephotography.com
    Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
    Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
    Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
    Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2