Options

Wedding Rookie....

MadmodMadmod Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Weddings
I was not the main or second shooter of this wedding so, don't panic.:D I was there as a wedding party guest. One this has shown me how hard lighting can be. I was really unprepared for this. I used a white business card with the flash pointed up for my flash. Hats off to you Pro wedding photogs:bow So, here are a few images I would like to ladies and gents to give some honest and harsh C and C. Thank you.:clap

#1 This one is my favorite

926937394_KNeDh-L.jpg

915061461_xWX9i-M.jpg

915059386_jfzEN-M.jpg

4915054989_vEEAo-M.jpg

915060046_gWxS2-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    not seeing the pix.....double check you privacy and sharing settings in your control panel.....I do see the numbers 1-5 .....you will see it as it is in your cache.....so open another browser and go to your site with out logging in, just like a client would to double check things....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Should be fixed now Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Ahhhhh there they are.......ok now I will look them over....................................Later gotta run....today has benn Drive by Dgrinning........ :-]]
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    since you were not #1 or 2 shooter these are well done......#2 would have probably been trashed as it really doesn't relay anything to me.....groom is just holding a plate and smiling.......
    that is my only real nit......well no......I have never been a fan of the tilted camera technique.....but that does not mean the client won't love them.....

Something weird happening.......photos have the turned doqn corner tell me there should be exif wit hthe image and when I clik I get a black / blank page......weird.......when I right clik no Exif viewers show up in the dropdown....weird I tell ya

Maybe be in how you save prior to upload or something in your control box not clicked on??????????????????????????????????

• Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Thanks Art for the reply and compliments.:D I will go back and see if I left anything turned off. If not I will post the data here so that you can take a look at it.

Edit: Turned on camera info on the web site. I am not sure if this will help or not but that is all I could think off...:( . If you would like to know the info I will be more than happy to post it up :)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Want it cold and fast? Lose the tilt, and what the heck is up with your white balance? I hope pics #2 and #5 were NOT among those set using that WB card of yours, cuz that's *NOT* correct color.

Of course hey, I love warmth, when it is the *AMBIENT* color. This looks like flash that was warmed intentionally, however, and it's kinda trippin' me out. But that's really just a personal preference, ask the COUPLE how they like the images! ;-)

Doing good, though. Trust me, I'm pretty cruel when it comes to critiques, and you're doing good. Keep it up...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Thanks Matthew, I ask for the harsh c and c for one reason. I feel like it is going to make me a better photographer. So bring it on!!eek7.gif
    As far as my WB it is a preset that I used in Lightroom. It seemed to tone down the noise a slight bit. I was mostly shooting at iso 800 and it with my D90 it was pretty noisey. I am awful at PP and I am in the process of learing what looks good and what does not. Thanks again
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Madmod wrote: »
    Thanks Matthew, I ask for the harsh c and c for one reason. I feel like it is going to make me a better photographer. So bring it on!!eek7.gif
    As far as my WB it is a preset that I used in Lightroom. It seemed to tone down the noise a slight bit. I was mostly shooting at iso 800 and it with my D90 it was pretty noisey. I am awful at PP and I am in the process of learing what looks good and what does not. Thanks again
    I totally understand, there are many phases that photographers go through when defining their style and developing their workflow. There really is no critique that can substitute for sheer practice and WISDOM gained on your own. So, keep shooting, keep pushing yourself to do better next time, and be your own worst critic. The best thing I do for myself is to constantly tell myself that image XYZ is not good enough to be in my portfolio any more, so I delete it and go shoot a better one. Of course there will always be a handful of classic images that stay in your portfolio year after year, and it's foolish to think that you can re-create a better genuine moment, but at least 50% of your portfolio should always be changing, as often as every 1-3 months. Just an observation after ~5 years of shooting portraits and pushing myself to do better every single day...

Take care!
    =Matt=
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    1st shot is nice except for the background. You really aptured a nice moment there. The others aren't doing anything for me in part due to the processing...2 and 5..no.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    I think that is why #1 is my favorite. It is not a great shot by any means but, I think the moment that was caught makes it my favorite.
  • Options
    SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    The coloring in the last shot reminds me of the coloring in my parents wedding prints from 1975... very vintage looking - if that was what the goal was. Pretty neat.
    I'm new to weddings, myself. I mentored with the photographers at 1 cousin's wedding, photographed (the only photographer there) another cousin's wedding, and have my 1st official professional wedding job coming up in October (1st and only photog). I've been asking to mentor (or 2nd shoot for free) with other professionals in my state, but no return calls/emails, yet. We'll see. Good luck to us all!
    Jasa Wolfrey
    www.sweetscenephotography.com
    Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
    Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
    Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
    Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    That is what the action was called was 70's look or something along those lines anyways. I guess it is time for me to start learning how to work photoshop alittle better. I am doing some Kelby training videos now for my photography. Is there any other places that you guys can suggest that I might want to take a look? I am open to almost anything! Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2010
    Madmod wrote: »
    That is what the action was called was 70's look or something along those lines anyways. I guess it is time for me to start learning how to work photoshop alittle better. I am doing some Kelby training videos now for my photography. Is there any other places that you guys can suggest that I might want to take a look? I am open to almost anything! Thanks!!
    As much as a lot of those resources out there are GREAT for learning photoshop, or Lightroom, etc. ...I've begun to take a different approach when coaching people- I just focus on WORKFLOW, period. Saving people time, that's the bottom line. I don't care if people use Bridge, Lightroom, Aperture... I've been doing a lot of coaching lately and this approach is very helpful. There isn't one magic system that works for everybody. I personally hate Lightroom, and I use Bridge. But I at least know how to use Lightroom, and can coach people on it and help them figure out how to color correct high volumes of images INSANELY FAST.

Of course this is in no way a plug for that coaching service, since I don't even know where you live and it's best done in person. I'm sure there are plenty of other good workflow gurus out there! But that's what I would focus on, instead of just one aspect of processing. Focus on the entire workflow as a streamlined process...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2010
    I would try and work something out with you but I live just outside of Cincinnati, so it would be about a 4-5 plane trip for either one of us.