Options

Focus stacking doesn't always work

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited August 3, 2005 in Holy Macro
Thought these were interesting- couple of focus stacked shots where the stacking did not quite work.
Brian V.

Spontaneous generation of jumping spiders from climbing beans.

CRW_7497ac.jpg

A Picasso style spider

CRW_7524sc.jpg

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Interesting "accidents". I like the second one in a absract kind of way.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Hey Brian,
    I like these effects. Just need a few more stacks for a final touch and they're good to go:D. Actually, it almost looks like the shots weren't lined up. I've also had some stacking issues, but nothing this extreem. A little fuzzy here and there, but this was due to my own mistakes.

Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2005
    Neat effect. The first one reminds of the movie "Philadelphia Experiment" (I think that was what it was called).
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Interesting "accidents". I like the second one in a absract kind of way.
    Thanks Thomas

Hey Brian,
    I like these effects. Just need a few more stacks for a final touch and they're good to go:D. Actually, it almost looks like the shots weren't lined up. I've also had some stacking issues, but nothing this extreem. A little fuzzy here and there, but this was due to my own mistakes.
    Chris
    Thanks Higgmeister.
    Didn't expect the first one to work as I actually had two shots of the spider on different sides of the bean- I was sort of hoping the software might focus stack the bean and therefore merge the pictures.
    The shots in the second one were not all exactly aligned (by me) when shot as they were handheld, but normally combinez5 seems to cope with this. What I haven't managed to do really with the software yet is any manual intervention, although I have found sometimes double stacking helps with this. ie stack only two shots at a time always with one common one and then stack the results.
    Allen wrote:
    Neat effect. The first one reminds of the movie "Philadelphia Experiment" (I think that was what it was called).
    AL
    Thanks Al- I liked the bean behind the eyes in this shot.

Brian V.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Here's one that did work
    Focus stacked Wolf spider from 4 shots- challenge was to try and get all the legs in focus- nearly managed it I missed two Knees-lol

Brian V.

CRW_7490sc.jpg
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Those "abstracts" are really cool Brian. I agree with Chris though, stack a few more on #2 and you'll have a really interesting pic.

The wolf spider is also neat, but here I think you should have tweaked your flash setup to light slightly from the side rather than above. It would have probably lessened the highlight on the abdomen.

regards
    alan

ps: is your Sigma 105 the DG or the older one? I'm trying to find some comparison on the two as the DG is about $50 more expensive than the other.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Those "abstracts" are really cool Brian. I agree with Chris though, stack a few more on #2 and you'll have a really interesting pic.

The wolf spider is also neat, but here I think you should have tweaked your flash setup to light slightly from the side rather than above. It would have probably lessened the highlight on the abdomen.

regards
    alan

ps: is your Sigma 105 the DG or the older one? I'm trying to find some comparison on the two as the DG is about $50 more expensive than the other.
    Thanks for the comments Alan, I haven't tried the flash low down yet on my new arrangement.
    I actually bought the older 105mm macro (has a gold ring and is non-DG) because it was cheaper and as you can see it works fine. Only risk is that some of the older sigma lenses do not function correctly on the EOS body and return an err99. If this happens it needs to be re-chipped by Sigma. So if you are thinking of the older version, might be safer to try it on your camera body first if you can (mine didn't need re-chipping).
    Brian V.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks for the comments Alan, I haven't tried the flash low down yet on my new arrangement.
    I actually bought the older 105mm macro (has a gold ring and is non-DG) because it was cheaper and as you can see it works fine. Only risk is that some of the older sigma lenses do not function correctly on the EOS body and return an err99. If this happens it needs to be re-chipped by Sigma. So if you are thinking of the older version, might be safer to try it on your camera body first if you can (mine didn't need re-chipping).
    Brian V.
    Thanks Brian. I'm really in a quandary now, as here in SA, the Sigma 105DG is about the same price as the Canon 100mm macro and which to go for of those? I agree that you really are getting good results with the older model 105 so I won't be shy about buying it. I'm looking to buy new, so I assume a new "older model" 105 will have the upgraded chip in???

regards
    alan
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    BigAl wrote:
    Thanks Brian. I'm really in a quandary now, as here in SA, the Sigma 105DG is about the same price as the Canon 100mm macro and which to go for of those? I agree that you really are getting good results with the older model 105 so I won't be shy about buying it. I'm looking to buy new, so I assume a new "older model" 105 will have the upgraded chip in???

regards
    alan
    Can only say more than likely. it was the older old lenses that needed re-chipping. As for the canon vs the sigma -from what I've seen the lenses are both great from the macro point of view and I think the canon has internal focusing so it doesn't extend like the sigma does. People even say the Tamron macro lenses are extremely good as well!
    Brian V.