Options

Which lens to use Question #284

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited August 9, 2005 in Cameras
I know this is a 15484195-Ti.gif but I'm asking anyways. I searched for this but found no direct comparisons. Here it goes.

My friends are getting married in September and they want me to take pictures during the reception. There is a professional photographer doing the formal stuff so I don't have to worry about that. My question is which lens would be more appropriate for this occasion.

I currently have:
20D
kit 18-55
canon 10-22
canon 28-135
planning on getting a 580EX

I am looking at getting one of the following (or something else if it would be good) Either:
50mm f/1.4 USM or the
85mm f/1.8 USM

The 35mm f/1.4L and 85mm f/1.2L are out of my price range plus I think it may be a little overkill for me at this point.

I'm leaning more towards the 50mm 1.4. Would this be a good lens for the situation? I have never shot anything like this before and could use your help. I already saw [thread=15909]Lynnma's thread [/thread] about advice for shooting but there wasn't what I was looking for for lens choice. That is a very good thread by the way.

Thanks in advance
Nick
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    I would use your 28-135, the zoom will be very handy and that covers a good range for wide to telephoto. Good luck!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    50mm f/1.4 USM or the
    85mm f/1.8 USM
    Nick,

either of those lenses would be good or the Tamron SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical or the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Both are used widely by wedding photographers. The 28-135 is a great lense but just not that fast in low light.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Nick,

either of those lenses would be good or the Tamron SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical or the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM. Both are used widely by wedding photographers. The 28-135 is a great lense but just not that fast in low light.
    Just got a Tamron 28-75, and I'm in iloveyou.gif with it. I'd second this opinion.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Nick,

I did look at the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and that is the lens I wanted to get but I just don't have that kind of money right now, especially with getting the 580EX. I'm going to try to get that lens for my sisters wedding next year though.

How does the Tamron SP AF28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD compare to the EF 24-70mm?
    Wouldn't it be better to get a Prime for sharper pictures?

Thanks for the feedback
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks Scottthumb.gif
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    Glu the tamron can be had used for around $300.00 easily. It is a great lense. Not "L" but pretty damn close. Have even had friends sell the 24-70L and use the money to buy a tamron and some other glass they wanted. Their reasoning was the tamron was so good they didn't see the need for tying up that much money in the 24-70 when they coule get the tamron and other items they wanted without quality loss.

All the photos in this gallery were taken with that tamron. http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com/gallery/571095

the password is tamber.

My first wedding attempt and it didn't turn out too bad. Bride, groom, and their families loved all of the photos (some of them are soft because of the lighting among other things but they liked those photos so I put them up). Got some more work booked off it as well. Keep in mind some of the shots aren't going in my portfolio as the setup there wasn't that great. Unlike alot of Shays weddings this was a budget wedding, so no castles to use as backdrops.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    The "best" lens will depend on the lighting at the reception and whether or not you buy the 580EX - a great flash by the way.

No 580EX

If the lighting is poor I'd go with the 50 1.4 and crank up the ISO.
    If the lighting is good I'd opt for the 28-135 - you may still have to crank up the ISO since this is a comparatively slow lens.

With 580EX

I'd go with the 28-135 regardless of lighting. Even though this lens is slow and will hunt in low light, the infra red focus assist from the 580EX will help greatly.

But does it have to be either or? The 50 1.4 isn't a big lens so why not pack it along with the 28-135 and decide which one to use when you get there?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Thanks for all your help. I'm leaning for the Tamron now. It is faster than my other lenses and will be more flexible then the 50mm or 85mm. Haven't made the final decision yet but hopefully soon. Any more input is still welcome.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    No contest for me ...the 50 f/1.4. I did a wedding a while back with the 50 f/1.8 & got good results with everyone dancing at the reception but will buy the f/1.4 for the next one.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No contest for me ...the 50 f/1.4. I did a wedding a while back with the 50 f/1.8 & got good results with everyone dancing at the reception but will buy the f/1.4 for the next one.

Gus
    Gus did you have any issues with the 50mm not being wide enough? The 50 f'1.4 is real fast so low light wouldn't be as big of a deal. Oh decisions decisions. headscratch.gif

I know, maybe I'll just buy bothclap.gif. Maybe I can get one of them for a birthday present and I'll buy the other. Ohh...this could work.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Thanks for all your help. I'm leaning for the Tamron now. It is faster than my other lenses and will be more flexible then the 50mm or 85mm. Haven't made the final decision yet but hopefully soon. Any more input is still welcome.

Nick
    For your situation, I would go with the Tamron as well. The price is great and it takes very high quality pictures.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Gus did you have any issues with the 50mm not being wide enough? The 50 f'1.4 is real fast so low light wouldn't be as big of a deal. Oh decisions decisions. headscratch.gif

I know, maybe I'll just buy bothclap.gif. Maybe I can get one of them for a birthday present and I'll buy the other. Ohh...this could work.

Nick
    Until we get a 10-120mm f/1.2 L ..we will have issues mwink.gif For the wide stuff i just used my 10-22 @ f/3.5 ISO 1600 & with the exposure way negitive which is easy to fix in raw.

Gus
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2005
    Thanks Gus, I'm really iloveyou.gif my 10-22, I'm always finding good uses for it.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    Receptions are notoriously dark. So when deciding on a lens for reception use, think "dark" which of course is the evil opposite of bright mwink.gif. Walk to the light, and get the fastest brightest lens you can get your hands on. Not only will it help with the exposure, but focus will be improved as well. Nothing spells frustration like not being able to focus on the action.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the 50mm f/1.4
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    Thanks for the input Shay.

Nick
    Nick
    nickwphoto