Options

OT: but has to do with a pro photog internship

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited July 14, 2010 in Weddings
I posted this in another forum, but it has to do with a wedding photographer along with other aspects of photography so im posting here... sorry lol

Has anyone ever or heard of anyone ever paying to be an intern? There is a local pro photographer that is looking for an intern... He responded to me and all of the other interested people with a long email but here is part of it

"The internship is a bartered relationship. My time and training expertise for the interns time for assistance and help. I normally charge over $100 an hour to train people one on one, and in return I look for the intern giving back their time at the rate of $10 an hour....Yes...that's a 10 to 1 ratio. Keeping in mind that most of that time isn't as much grunt work, but actual on set assisting and learning as well."

Again this is only part of the email..

But doesnt this mean he wants me to pay him $10 an hour for me to be his intern?? Or am i reading this wrong?

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,906 moderator
    edited July 13, 2010
    JayClark79 wrote: »
    But doesnt this mean he wants me to pay him $10 an hour for me to be his intern?? Or am i reading this wrong?

I think you should ask him :D

But the way it reads is that he's willing to pay you $10/hr to be his second. I'd have to ask what specific training do you believe you will receive and what do you think that's really worth? Probably another question is whether or not you believe in this person's work/ability to give you proper training (based on their work). if you can answer those for yourself, you're good to go!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Pistol PetePistol Pete Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    well, if he makes money...
    If he profits from the interns work for him, he has to pay him minimum wage for his work. That's just federal law.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    If he profits from the interns work for him, he has to pay him minimum wage for his work. That's just federal law.
    Yeah, the guy probably has people banging down his door to learn from him, so he's just giving a hands-on opportunity, and charging for it. You'd probably learn a TON, and it would be $90 very well spent.

However, out of principle, you may decide that this just isn't right, and your hard work is worth more than the education you'd gain in return. So maybe you should turn down the job. It's your call...

All I know is that I charge $225+ for private coaching, so yeah. There certainly isn't a standard for this type of situation, it's all about how much someone's time is worth.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum