Options

what computer and screen

TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited July 14, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
should I buy?
The one I have now stalls when I have about 10 pictures opened on Photoshop element 8 and becomes very sluggish too quickly. Memory> processor? graphic card? (PC, not Mac)
Which monitor do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited July 9, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum, where we discuss computers and monitors.

I'm fairly happy with my CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1030, with an Intel Core i5 750(2.66GHz, 4 core) processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (PCI Express 2.0 x16), Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229130

I'm not sure that having 10 images open at the same time is a great idea for PSE 8. The software may not be designed to handle that many images especially if they are large. PSE was designed as a fairly entry level application and memory management may not be that much of a priority.

More RAM will definitely help in almost every situation, but you need 64 bit OS "and" 64 bit applications/software to use more than 3 GB of RAM.

You can do a search in these threads to see what people are using for monitors.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    TCS wrote: »
    should I buy?
    The one I have now stalls when I have about 10 pictures opened on Photoshop element 8 and becomes very sluggish too quickly. Memory> processor? graphic card? (PC, not Mac)

I checked this for a friend about 9 months ago. The adobe site has lots of good tips how to configure programs to run fast in different situations - check it out.

Could be the system you have is causing the problem but then it helps to tell what you have. The problem my friend had was caused by too little RAM (512MB for Windows XP and Photoshop). It was working ok with one or two photos open but froze otherwise. All got better when we upgraded to 2GB.

For Monitors check the recent posts from "Newsby" (I think I got this right from memory). He is really informed on the current status - search for monitor probably does it. Depends a bit on your budget and how long you want the monitor to be useable (hd?) and how you want to use it (many people viewing or just yourself, print preparation or web).
  • Options
    BunderfeldBunderfeld Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2010
    should I buy?

I turn to Puget Systems for all my Hardware Computer Needs. Since you didn't mention a Budget, I suggest you head over to Puget Systems and spec out a new system for yourself. I have purchased 4 separate systems from Puget Systems and have never in my life been so pleased and amazed at their attentiveness to detail and the needs I specified. The system I use today, which is a little over a year old now, was ranked #20 in the world over on Passmark Website and yes, that's #20 in the WORLD.

Puget Systems will allow you to spec out a system, then will give you a chance to have your system reviewed by one of their Techs. You provide all the information as to what you want to do on this new PC, and they will help you tweak your spec's so you get the most for your buck.

As for a Monitor, have you ever given thought to using a large LED HDTV for a Monitor? I use the Samsung 55" LED HDTV for my Monitor and TV, and to be honest, I still smile when I sit down in my Recliner to start working every morning. Because of my disability I'm unable to sit in a regular Computer Chair, so I went with the 55" TV because I sit about 8 feet from it, and it's amazing. Of course, if you don't want to do that, you could always get a couple of 30" Monitors. I have always been partial to using NVidia Graphics Cards (personal choice) and I put in TWO GTX-285 cards in my system. I also made certain I got the watercooled option (My Puget Tech suggested it or I wouldn't have even known it was possible).

What I'm really trying to explain is that Puget Systems will take care of your PC Needs and will not only TEST but will BURN IN your PC before it leaves their office. Puget Systems is a class act, and I suggest to everyone that asks me about getting a new PC, that you go to Puget Systems, spec out what you think looks good, then submit your specs for further review. I give you my word (even though you don't know me) that you will be over-joyed by Puget Systems.

OK, so here's what I did last year:

i7 965 CPU
    12GB RAM
    2 GTX-285 Graphic Cards
    Water Cooled system
    Air Cooled System

That's just the tip of the iceberg for my system, but I made sure I would be able to use this for the next 5 to 6 years when I bought it, and I haven't ever been this happy when dealing with a Computer Manufacturer.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I use Dell since their workstation service is amazing (next day on site if anything goes wrong).

My current system is:

Quad Core Intel® Xeon® W3540 2.93GHz, 8M L3, 4.8GT/s Turbo W3540
    12GB, 1066MHz, DDR3 SDRAM, ECC (6 DIMMS)
    512MB NVIDIA® Quadro® FX 580, DUAL MON, 2 DP & 1 DVI FX580 1
    500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 16MB DataBurst Cache™ 500GS 1
    SoundBlaster® X-FI XtremeMusic™ (D)w/Dolby® Digital 5.1 SBXBVI 1

The hard drive was my 1 compromise due to price and hopefully will be upgraded with 1-2 10,000 RPM drives in the future. The nice thing is I can have most of CS5 running at once and it doesn't slow down clap.gif

I would get the 12GB of RAM for sure since you have so many programs open, when doing similar work it can put a good dent in my set up.

The processor you probably could get away with something a little slower, mine is a Xeon so it's meant to work with a second chip (and I hear you can overclock it to 6-8Ghz :yikes) but they have i7's which are very similar. A 2.66Ghz should give you all the speed you need.

Also look at Adobe's site as to what video cards CS5 supports the new zoom function is really nice. The Quadro's are workstation cards but I believe this feature works with some consumer cards as well.

And I listed the sound card because if you listen to music while you edit like me it is a great investment. I had a 40-50 dollar sound blaster before which was a good card but with this new one my speakers sound amazing.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010

What is your budget for the monitor?

Do you process your images in the AdobeRGB color space?