Laptops

Sean FSean F Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking at laptops. I will be doing the majority of my photo editing on it. I am leaning toward switching from PC and getting a MacBook Pro. I am also considering switching my workflow over to Aperture instead of Lightroom. I only recently finally tried Lightroom, I'm using the LR3 beta version right now. It looks like Aperture is probably more seemless on the Apple platform but LR probably works better with CS4 (the few times I actually use it now). If anyone has recently switched PC/Mac and tried both LR/aperture it would be great to hear your opinions on them. Thanks,
Sean.

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    I use Windows at work and Adobe CS3, at home I use Mac and Adobe CS3 and LR, previously I also did it on the Windows platform. I tried Aperture, keyword being try, I wasn't an expert at it, however I got the same functionality and asset management I was looking for with LR and better integration into my workflow. I also think that Windows versus Mac is personal preference as I find using CS3 in both to be similar speed and functionality.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2010
    Horsepower wise, most current laptops are not too bad but visually... they are not that great.

All current production civilian laptops use 6bit "TN" TFT LCD panels. Because they are 6bit they have to use electronic techniques to simulate an 8bit color space offering a full 16.7 million colors. Some are better than others but the bad ones will be prone to banding and/or posterization. In addition, TN panels will show a color/gamma shift at angles any other than straight on.

For critical color work and editing you'd be better off attaching a good external monitor. Something with, at the least, an 8bit IPS or PVA panel.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    NEW Laptop with IPS panel
    I just came across a post that 99% confirms there is now a Windows OS laptop available with an IPS type panel.

When I first saw the shots of its' screen my jaw dropped. The tell tale is the shot from below the screen.

HP 8740W Elitebook with 1920x1200 17" Dreamcolor screen with RGB LED back light. They say it is a 10bit (processing? panel?) and it is a wide gamut meaning it will cover most of the sRGB color space and most of the AdobeRGB color space.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-elitebook-probook/470406-official-hp-elitebook-8740w-owners-lounge-220.html#post6467969

More screen shots...
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-elitebook-probook/470406-official-hp-elitebook-8740w-owners-lounge-224.html#post6470413

That was the good news.

The bad news is that by the time I finished playing with HP's configurator I had the price of the unit over $4900 USD.

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Sean F wrote: »
    I am leaning toward switching from PC and getting a MacBook Pro.

Something to consider...I ran across this today.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    So how do I convince work that I need one?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    So how do I convince work that I need one?

Brown nose!