Options

Lighting.... ?????

nicki2414nicki2414 Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited July 17, 2010 in Weddings
Ok everyone.... Typically when I shoot I always have a fong diffuser on....
However, I sometimes struggle with it on in really dark receptions and have to go to bounce flash and have recently been playing with the light on a stick method.

That said....

I have been doing ALOT of reading lately about lighting and diffusers.

EVERYONE seems to have an opinion on this, so let hear it!!! I am wondering if there might be a better technique out there that I haven't hear about. For whatever reason I am beginning to see the days of the flash bracket and heavy diffusers end? (maybe just me... but I keep seeing a lot of photogs snapping away with out all the extra gear!)

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    that card you pull out on top of the flash works for me.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I haven't used a flash bracket in maybe five years, and even then I only used it because I had no idea what I was doing.

And when I use flash these days, it's either bare and bounced, bare and wireless, or a combination of both with a lightsphere used to just barely add a catch light in people's eyes...

I'd say MOST of the time though, I shoot ambient if I can. I have no problem shooting any and every moment of a wedding reception at ISO 3200 if I have to, even on my D300. But, that's just my personal preference and my history with film that helps me appreciate grainy photos in a way that most digital purists will probably never understand. Your preferences will most likely vary.

The biggest tip I can offer is to just master the bounce, and goof around with wireless flash in your free time. bounced, un-diffused light can be a wonderful thing if you know what direction to throw the light in...

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    Since your a bounce guy....

What do you do when you don't have a wall to bounce off....

I have noticed harsh shadows when I have messed with it in the past if I am bouncing of the ceiling. Maybe just the angle I have it on?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    nicki2414 wrote: »
    Since your a bounce guy....

What do you do when you don't have a wall to bounce off....

I have noticed harsh shadows when I have messed with it in the past if I am bouncing of the ceiling. Maybe just the angle I have it on?
    You've got a handful of options-

* Stay near the walls? :-P

* Angle it towards the side and back a little bit, even without walls, and hope that your flash has enough power (combined with a fast aperture and a high ISO) to reach your subject. If the ceiling is white and decently close, chances are you'll do okay.

* Set up wireless flashes and point them directly at your subjects...

Good luck,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    any one used those mini soft boxes that attack directly to a speed light? i have heard of decent results but never had a chance to use it and maybe they are just garbage compared to a lightsphere or anything, but i would think maybe one of those on a bracket could have decent results?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    nikmolson wrote: »
    any one used those mini soft boxes that attack directly to a speed light? i have heard of decent results but never had a chance to use it and maybe they are just garbage compared to a lightsphere or anything, but i would think maybe one of those on a bracket could have decent results?

I use the Lumiquest softbox ......not the mini or the xl the original it is several yrs old and works fine.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I use a combination of all of the bounce (diffused and bare) and direct diffused (when no other option) mentioned above.

I sometimes like to hold the flash in my left hand and point whichever direction works. Sometimes that gives me added freedom, but its especially useful for direct lighting.

Sometimes the Fong diffuser is just awesome!

It would be great to see some examples to go along with the ideas here. Here is a shot from a wedding I did last month. The flash is on-camera, bounced off the wall to the right and behind me....

925126314_GiQCm-M.jpg
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I bounce whenever I can, even outside sometimes. With the right gear you can bounce off crowds of people, brick walls, trees, bushes, fountains, street signs... any surface really. I hate direct lighting and try to avoid it at all times except occasionally for outside fill flash. I love off camera lighting but bare bulb is a little harsh and umbrellas can be a PITA, so I bounce unless I can't. The light returns huge and soft in most cases and that combined with the dimensioning of side lighting really appeals to me. I have been shooting proms in my off time the past couple years to work on the technique and I put together a little gallery showing how I do things. Here it is if you are interested in seeing what I do. When I get through this years bookings I will redo it with all wedding stuff, but for now it is all prom queens! http://www.lightcraft-photography.com/Other/side-wall-bounce-lighting/12283790_sdqfh/1/876235592_RdxiQ

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    wow thanks! that is a really great link you just put up. This is exactly what I would like to learn to do! I'm just getting sick of all the weight I am carting around! lol

You wouldn't happen to have anymore great links that I could read up on... ha ha ha
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    nicki2414 wrote: »
    wow thanks! that is a really great link you just put up. This is exactly what I would like to learn to do! I'm just getting sick of all the weight I am carting around! lol

You wouldn't happen to have anymore great links that I could read up on... ha ha ha

and you laugh! This should keep you busy for a bit http://www.planetneil.com/

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes