Chiricahua Nat'l Monument, So. AZ

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
Has anyone gone to the Chiricahua Nat Mon? I am looking to pay a spontanious visit there in a few short weeks. I would love to have the time to do some scouting for photographic locations, but this will most likely be a one weekend turn-around which means only one evening to shoot and maybe an AM shoot.
Does anyone have any recomended sites to shoot from? preferably evening light. Thanks in advance for any imput you may have.

Shawn Carden

Comments

• dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I've been to the Chiricahuas several times. The area is unlike anything else in AZ. I am an amatuer photographer and don't have any great images from there. The National Monument area is not all that large. There are long hikes with nice rock formations but they all start looking the same pretty soon. I tried shooting a couple sunsets at Massai Point, but never had great light. If you have the time try to make it over to the Eastern Chiricahuas and the Cave Creek Recreation Area. Pinery Canyon Road should be passable with almost any vehicle. I think that area is the most stunning, especially in autumn with the golden sycamore leaves. There is much more color in the rocks on the east side. I would think the east side would have better light in the morning though.

Here is my recent gallery from a family camping/hiking trip to the Chiricahuas. The east side was closed due to a fire, so no photos from there. http://dave6253.smugmug.com/Family/2010-Memorial-Day-Trip/12442995_7Tdud#890858783_WRd48

If you have questions about the area let me know, but I'm not the best source of information regarding good photo spots.
    edited June 30, 2010
    BTW, I love your North Rim Gallery.thumb.gif
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    dave6253 wrote: »
    BTW, I love your North Rim Gallery.thumb.gif
    Thanks Dave, looks like I will be winging it. I was kinda afraid it might be like Bryce where everything looks the same. Hard to just pick out a hoodoo or two to get a nice shot of. Thanks for the kind words about N. Rim gallery. It was a great time up there, very worth the trip! I'll share my shots with ya if they turn out worth a darn.

Shawn
    edited July 2, 2010
    Shawn,

I think it is very much like the hoo doos of Bryce, but will be much harder to shoot. The colors are not as interesting as Bryce. I've hiked nearly all of the trails at both places. Bryce has more overlooks also. The Chiricahuas are not familiar with most people even in Arizona so your shots from there won't be instantly recognizable. Hopefully you have some fantastic light. Please let me know if you have luck. Maybe you can point me to where to shoot the next time I'm there. The Heart of Rocks Trail and Echo Canyon Trails probably have the most striking formations. You can do both trails in a loop from Massai Point in about 9 miles. The rocks are perhaps a little redder near Bonita Canyon and the Cave Creek Area than around Massai Point and the Heart of Rocks.
  • shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 674 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    dave6253 wrote: »
    Shawn,

I think it is very much like the hoo doos of Bryce, but will be much harder to shoot. The colors are not as interesting as Bryce. I've hiked nearly all of the trails at both places. Bryce has more overlooks also. The Chiricahuas are not familiar with most people even in Arizona so your shots from there won't be instantly recognizable. Hopefully you have some fantastic light. Please let me know if you have luck. Maybe you can point me to where to shoot the next time I'm there. The Heart of Rocks Trail and Echo Canyon Trails probably have the most striking formations. You can do both trails in a loop from Massai Point in about 9 miles. The rocks are perhaps a little redder near Bonita Canyon and the Cave Creek Area than around Massai Point and the Heart of Rocks.

Thought I would share the adventure with you. It is difficult to shoot, but I got a few shots that are OK.
    http://shawncarden.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Landscape-and-Travel/Chiricahua-Natl-Monument-SE-AZ/12885064_tQw7y#930338672_524dy
    Thanks again for you input.
    edited July 17, 2010
    Shawn,

You did get some nice shots! I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me that thinks its a difficult place to shoot. I think 13 is my favorite. The light on the hoo doos and the dark background really makes that one stand out. I also really like the way you rotated the shot of Cochise Head. I would've never seen it.