Options

package suggestions

thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited July 18, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
finally getting around to creating some packages, but not sure where to start...what sizes and quantities to include in the packages...if you use packages, what are some of your package options and what do you call them? any tips on how you've set up your packages would be greatly appreciated...

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Really, no one...thought I saw a thread back when packages were first introduced but couldn't find it. I'm sure *someone* is using packages that has suggestions.
  • Options
    ReuelReuel Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    I'm just starting out here with about 1000 photos of dancers in performance.

I figure that packages are a way to encourage the buyer (in my case, typically parents) to buy a little more than they would otherwise. I set my base 4x6 print at $4. Many of the dancers will have multiple photos that are of them, or at least include them. So I have a multi-photo package that encourages the purchase of 10 photos (@ $23 or so) with a significant savings over buying all 10 at the base rate. Many buyers will find one photo that they want to have lots of prints of (to give to friends, etc), so I have a single-photo package of 10 4x6's for $14. Then I figure some parents are going to want to share nice, big prints with grandparents, so I have a package that includes 2 8x10's and some 4x6's of a single image for $14. In each case, my logic is that the amount I can expect to make from one photo is what I make on one 4x6. If I can get them to buy more than that by offering a deal, then I'll make more than I would if they only bought the one 4x6.

I'd really like to offer a package that included a digital download. I could use that to sweeten some of the deals at no real cost to me. I figure that once the digital download for an image is sold, that's all the sales for that image that are going to happen, since these images are each really only of interest to a single buyer.

So far, my main problem with packages is that my customers don't know about them -- the "purchase package" item on the buy menu doesn't stand out very much. I felt bad when one customer purchased 9 individual 4x6's for $36 when she could have had them for $23 (I didn't feel sad for long).

I haven't thought much about packages for art photos that are of general interest. So far, that doesn't make much sense -- why would I want 4 4x6's of the 20x30 wrapped canvas print I just bought for my living room?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Did you see the sticky "Packages Help Thread" at the top of the forum with 100 replies in it? Might be some info in there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question