Reception Photos

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Weddings
I have a quick question. Next July I am doing wedding photos for my friend, i am only doing before, getting ready and the actual ceremony. The reception she figures everyone else will be taking pics so she doesn't need me to take them, besides I am also a guest and she wants me to have fun too :)

Anyways this got me thinking, if I were to shoot the reception, which I might still, just for the practice since she doesn't want them done, however they look will be okay. My question is what do you shoot at the reception? How many photos do you offer the bride/groom from the reception? Any tips? Any shots, besides the first dance, father daughter dance, that i should aim to get? Also I usually use my speedlight, on camera, but bounced, I've seen pictures of the venue and I think this should be ok, the top us like curtains, but I think the walls are good to bounce off of, if not I have a softbox I can prob use, but any other suggestions? This is just for practice, but I think it's a great time do it since she doesn't care if I get reception or not. TIA!!!
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I always shoot reception - that's where, I think, the good stuff happens! You definitely get emotion during the designated dances, then you've got the cutting the cake (and hopefully someone shoving the cake in someone else's mouth), the toasts, and so much more. You may have a dollar dance (which, if you're situated right, is where you can also get some great emotional shots) and then there's the retrieval and tossing of the flowers and the garter. It's always nice to get some close up pictures of the decor, especially centerpieces, and pictures of the bride and groom interacting with the guests. When I do a wedding I also try to go around to all of the tables and to snag pictures of people who look like couples, or the whole table (depending on how the tables are situated). It not only gives the guests something nice to have after the wedding is done (remember, lots of people don't get portraits done regularly), but it also gets my name out there for possible future events!
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I am def going to shoot those things. My whole thing is that recently I shot a first birthday party and I took pics of the decorations, the baby being announced, the cake, the cutting of the cake and people dancing, all the people did was dance. I got some pics of the baby, but then she fell asleep, so I was looking for moments, I caught a great father-daughter dance, among others but I feel that most of the pics I gave were of people dancing and then I was thinking that personally, I wouldn't love pics of people dancing so I was just not sure of what to shoot. Believe it or not in my 29 years on this planet, I have been to one wedding and although I am married I didn't have a wedding, so I am just about clueless!!!
    Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
  • JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    The reception is definently a great place to shoot..

Pay attention to detail, get close ups of decorations, the cake, center peices everything! Its these little details that will be forgotten in the years to come.

As said above the father daughter dance, mother son dance, and the couples first dance are always very emotional times and great opps to catch a great photo.

The cutting of the cake, the smashing of the cake, any speeches, any looks of love, or subtle touches, children playing.... all of these make for great shots.

I dont suggest taking pictures of people eating. thumb.gif

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    I agree with Jay - I always have to watch when I take pictures of everyone sitting at the head table - try to get them first - because it's hard to sneak a shot of the groomsmen and bridesmaids and the wedding couple without their mouths open with food once the food is served!
  • mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    This is a pretty common response I get about my work from my bides. Meaning the comments, and not necessarily the gushing! Very telling in that the day is just as much about the guests as it is about the b&g and also it is more about the candid intimate moments. She didn't even mention the formals and posed stuff even though I know I nailed a lot of those. She was most excited to see things she wasn't a part of. This was the wedding here http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169518&highlight=marie+chris

Matt

Hi Matthew!

I've been too busy obsessing over our pictures to email you back! As I expected from you, they are absolutely incredible. I really appreciate how you didn't just follow Chris and I around and we have so many pictures of the people at the wedding... which makes the pictures more fun for everyone to look at because they see so many of themselves! You caught so many amazing and important moments, for me especially, I am SO glad you captured me laughing at my dad after he walked me down the aisle... he whispered in my ear and I expected him to say something serious, but I should've known better, he totally cracked me up, so thanks for catching that! We are absolutely thrilled and everyone who has looked at them has felt the same. It's so amazing how you can make the reception look bright as day when it was so dark in there... the pictures in there look so great. My mom is in love with ironing pictures as well. Also, thank you for processing most of the pictures with such vivid coloring... this wedding was all about the bright colors so that's exactly what I wanted! We love the B&W ones too! Anyways, I could gush all day. THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Marie
    [FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

***edit to add*** the above answers a lot of the what, but the how many is a lot. I probably shoot close to 5-600 shots at the reception. I shoot mostly long lenses and look for emotion. I walk around the outskirts of the room to catch things happening on the inside. I go outside by the smokers, to the bar by the drinkers, hit up the smaller groups that are chatting it up, catch anyone involved in the family and wedding party formals as often as possible because they are obviously very important. Always keeping tabs on the bride and what she is doing, and then snapping whenever I see her interacting or looking gorgeous. Even though your bride doesn't think she wants quality pictures from the reception she will be happy when she sees them if you do your job! That being said, I can't be a parrt of an event as a guest and shoot it too... it is a totally different mindset for me so I don't do it unless I can shoot it as a pro for a couple hours and then put the camera away and and just be a guest. It is very difficult for me to do both.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes