Options

Accessories advice

marzipannmarzipann Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
edited July 22, 2010 in Accessories
Hi all,

I am taking a trip to Italy at the end of August. This is my first flying trip since purchasing my D90, and I wanted to get some advice before we take off.

Camera Strap - Currently using the one that came with the Nikon. I'm not a big fan... Been hoping the Smugmug strap would come but its been months since I put my order in so I am planning around it coming in time. What would you recommend? Do I need one that thieves can't cut and run?

Monopod/gorilla pod - I do not have a monopod, but am thinking it might be useful for lower light shots. Does it buy me much if I am shooting in cathedrals/churches? I plan on trying out a gorilla pod too, but I am not sure what situations I would be able to use it.. If anyone has thoughts on both and how it might apply to Italy I'd love read it.

Camera Bag - I currently have a Kata 3N1-20 which holds my D90, 18-105 kit lens, 35mm 1.8, and 70-300mm (sorta fits). Although this is great for travel days, its a little big and maybe not ideal if wanting to be inconspicuous. I'm also not sure how the monopod or gorilla pod options might attach with it.. Should I get a messenger bag style for roaming around the cities? I may not bring the 70-300mm since I'm not sure if I'd use it in Italy, especially if I need to cut down some weight/size.

Do I need power outlet adapters for my battery charger?

What else am I forgetting?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited July 20, 2010
    Op/Tech straps are hard to beat for durability, comfort and cost. They do not have cut-resistant straps (that I know of) so you must keep our wits about you, but that's the best strategy anyway.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/140198-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1001252.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118283-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1501372.html

Not so sure about a monopod or bag. Obviously the bag should depend on what you take and how you want to carry it. A "sling" bag that has a belt-strap, so you can use it as a backpack, is probably a pretty good idea for Italy.

If you have a charger with multi-voltage, multi-frequency, capabilities you will probably just need a simple plug adapter.

http://goitaly.about.com/od/travelpackingtips/l/bl_electricity_italy.htm
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Italy travel
    I have travelled extensively in Italy, primarily using the excellent Italian rail system, city buses, subway (Rome), and the vaoporetti (little ferry boats) in Venice. I used my Optech strap on my D200. I covered the identifying name and number (Nikon, D200) with black electrical tape so as not to make it look like anything good. I used an old nondescript canvas shoulder travel bag. Primarily used Nikon VR lenses (24-120, 17-55 VR), ISO400 , with appropriate color and noise adjustments in camera. Brought a monopod, never used it. If I had a car (largely useless in the cities due to limited parking, thieves) i might have taken a tripod. I have a small Manfrotto tabletop tripod & ballhead that I did use for long exposures in buildings, but many do not permit strobe ( I had the SB 800). No one ver bothered me, I knew about pickpocketrs on the Rome subway and buses, so stood or sat very suspicious of those around me, and no one got very close. I kept all valuables in a tightly zippered belt pouch, and always made sure the travel bag was zipped shut, with a little spring clip holding the zipper closed. I saw purses rapidly stolen, always from well dressed ladies. My wife and I wore rather plain clothing, denim jeans, dark nylon jacket, looked like ltalians. No fancy jewelry.The various special tourist passes (Italian rail, Venice 3 day ferry, etc.) saved quite a bit. Hope this helps.
    Stan
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    Italy travel
    I forgot: I did need an adapter for Italian electricity both for the wall plug and the voltage which is (I think)220V, 50 cycles. I did have a clear plastic bag (the disposable type made by Optech) to protect the camera in case of rain, which it did.
    Stan