Options

Image Replace Question

coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited July 25, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Lets say i have an image in a gallery with a proof delay. ...someone purchases it, so i replace that image with the final touched up version and send off to press.

then a week later a different person purchases the same image. Do i need to upload the final touched up version again, or do i only have to do it once and it is then the standard for for all future purchases.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    coleygm wrote: »
    Lets say i have an image in a gallery with a proof delay. ...someone purchases it, so i replace that image with the final touched up version and send off to press.

then a week later a different person purchases the same image. Do i need to upload the final touched up version again, or do i only have to do it once and it is then the standard for for all future purchases.

thanks in advance.
    Only once, unless you need to change the image.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    perfect..thanks
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    Only once, unless you need to change the image.

and one more question concerning...am I able to replace an image but use a different name? I know in the guidelines, i thought it warned to use the exact same name, but would be more ideal for me if i can replace with EDIT appended to the end of the original name. IE the original file is IMG_1234, and i replace the photo with IMG_1234-EDIT

thanks
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 6, 2010
    Hi Greg,
    You can replace single images with files that have different filenames. For example, I always append an "a" or "b" to the filename of my edits. I replace the original version, with the a or b version. To do this you will need to use the Tools>
    This Photo>More>Replace tool. If you are replacing images in bulk. You will need to use the same filenames as the original files. As the the uploader is looking to Replace like named files.

I hope this helps :-)

Cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2010
    Hi Greg,
    You can replace single images with files that have different filenames. For example, I always append an "a" or "b" to the filename of my edits. I replace the original version, with the a or b version. To do this you will need to use the Tools>
    This Photo>More>Replace tool. If you are replacing images in bulk. You will need to use the same filenames as the original files. As the the uploader is looking to Replace like named files.

I hope this helps :-)

Cavig

Thanks Steve...but just to clarify does your above statement also apply to orders waiting in the proof days period? So when i go in and see the order, your saying that i can indeed use the orders replace functionality to replace images with different file names...but if i want to replace more than one photo in the order, your saying i need to use the same names?

...and furthermore if i can replace an image within an order and use a different name, I'm assuming then that the image and new file name that i used to replace the original will also now forevermore be the replaced image in the gallery?

thanks again for the help
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Hi Greg,

To clarify, it's about the replace method you use. If you use the 'multiple replace' button in an order (which uses our Simple uploader), you have to keep the filenames 100% identical.

If you use the other replace method to replace photos one by one using the replace button on each individual photo (or the Tools > this photo > more > replace tool), you can use different filenames. Those filenames would be shown in the gallery (if your gallery is set to show filenames) and the order.

Replacing any photo will automatically apply the photo in the gallery and to any order with the photo that hasn't gone to the lab.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    Hi Greg,

To clarify, it's about the replace method you use. If you use the 'multiple replace' button in an order (which uses our Simple uploader), you have to keep the filenames 100% identical.

If you use the other replace method to replace photos one by one using the replace button on each individual photo (or the Tools > this photo > more > replace tool), you can use different filenames. Those filenames would be shown in the gallery (if your gallery is set to show filenames) and the order.

Replacing any photo will automatically apply the photo in the gallery and to any order with the photo that hasn't gone to the lab.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian

Brilliant! Thanks Sebastian