Options

My Sister's Engagement

sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
edited July 28, 2010 in Weddings
I won't be shooting the wedding, but I did a quick shoot with them a few weeks ago for their engagement.

1. 922411550_Z92yS-L-1.jpg

2. 932596816_uU9hY-L.jpg

3. 932636105_gzeeu-L.jpg

4. 932535664_wtjjD-L.jpg

5. 926208723_Y9vjX-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    I really like the composition on #4 and your save the date image on #5.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    Are they happy about the upcoming marriage? They look almost as bad as I do in front of the camera. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Are they happy about the upcoming marriage? They look almost as bad as I do in front of the camera. :D

Sam

HAHA! I don't do much better in front of a camera, either! They both have some issues with their teeth, so they did a lot of serious poses. Here are a few more I finally had time to edit.

1. 945894458_U99be-L.jpg

2. 945751158_Huaij-L.jpg

3. 945779423_DeJtf-L.jpg
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010

Sam
    Dang, Sam! Care to add any constructive feedbacl to that scathing comment? :-P

I would agree if you were to say that the couple needs to work on their facial expressions. (Or that the photographer needs to work on capturing a facial expression?) ...But I'll let you do the constructive feedback part, since you kinda owe it to the OP now. :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    I like some of the shots, just fine. Number 2 in the second batch doesn't make the bride-to-be look very nice. I made a rule for myself to delete any shots that aren't flattering. Sometimes that's a lot of shots! It can be hard to get a smile out of people, when they are self conscious, for sure. I was looking through your shots, and I could hear myself saying, "just a little more of a smile... nice... you look great..." Click! They are a great looking couple, and if you can convince them of that, you'll get them to express a lot of emotion for your shots. Sometimes they just need a little encouragement, and they will relax and really get into the shoot.

Thanks for sharing your stuff!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    Dang, Sam! Care to add any constructive feedbacl to that scathing comment? :-P

I would agree if you were to say that the couple needs to work on their facial expressions. (Or that the photographer needs to work on capturing a facial expression?) ...But I'll let you do the constructive feedback part, since you kinda owe it to the OP now. :-P

=Matt=

Matt,

I didn't intend for my comments to be scathing, and by Sweet Carolin's response she didn't take it that way.

Rarely do I intend on being nasty or demening to anyone. If I do intend it there will not be any doubt!

It's pretty obvious they are not comfortable in front of the camera. I admitted that I am even worse, so no slam on the couple.

My intent was to state what she already knew. They don't look happy! This is an engagement. I am pretty sure (hopeful) they are very happy.

This is her sister, she knows her sister and her fiance better than I do, and she is better at people photos than I am. I am not sure how to fix the issue, all I can offer is to reinforce that they don't look happy.

Sam
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2010
    Hey, no harm, Sam!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This shoot was just a start. I'm hoping to get them much more comfortable in front of the camera over the next 6 months. That should make it much easier on the wedding photographer!

I have found that working with family is much more difficult. They don't take you as seriously, even if there's a great relationship and they love your work. I'll prod them a little more next time and risk being the bossy big sister.

Caroline
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    Caroline, I HUGELY prefer the second batch - they're much more flattering, I like the processing better, and you caught the light just right. Obviously, I'm not one of our resident superstars, but here's what I'm seeing in these -take with LARGE grain of salt!!

1. The blown areas on the light sweater make her look bigger than she is - if you can restore some of the detail in her midsection so we can see that she has a nice hourglass figure, that will be more flattering IMO. Also, I find the lightposts in the bg distracting.

2. Agree that the expressions aren't as perky as they might be, but I like this one - her eyes are GORGEOUS. What does a closer crop (or maybe even vertical crop?) look like in this one? I think a really tight crop on their faces might make the expression seem intense rather than serious.

3. This one just doesn't work for me - the blown bg and no expression from her kills this one for me.

4. Not flattering for either of them. I'm the proud (grrr) posesssor of heavy upper arms, and I HATE them - I don't want them upfront and center of the shot (she may not have my problem with it, but fwiw). Because his head angle isn't so flattering either, I think this is one I probably wouldn't use.

Second batch

1. Yay - close crop! Pretty, pretty eyes! I'd smooth the lines in her neck and possibly saturate her lip colour a tad more (I know she's using a light frosted pink, but I think a hint more colour would be more flattering and balance the image better), but this one's a keeper.

2. This one is GREAT and kind of proves that there is an angle from below that flatters a curvy girl. This one is so great for her figure, shows off the hourglass, and those kicka** shoes. His expression is slightly baffled, but I still really like this one. thumb.gif

3. Pick of this litter (for a traditional style shot). I'd probably do some cloning and try to minimise the bg a little more, and possibly play with the processing to play up the flare by being more extreme (maybe with some colour/wb choices?) OR minimize it a tad (either might work)

HTH!
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2010
    Fabulous critique, Diva. You pointed out some things I failed to notice. The ones my sis liked were #2 from batch one, and all of the shots from batch two. I liked the Texas flag shot, but she did not. I hadn't really noticed the arm, but that is something she's self conscious about (she's looking for a nice jacket for her wedding). I can clean up the background and take care to show off her waist in that first shot. The fluttery front of the sweater probably didn't help at that angle, although I love it on her in person. She does have a lovely hourglass shape.

It's so hard to look at photos objectively when I know the subject so well. The feedback helps a lot.

Caroline
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2010
    Great pics, Caroline!!! I'm sure they love them.

I intend on being nasty or demening to anyone. If I do intend it there will not be any doubt!

:rutt