Options

Learning theory and technique

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited August 5, 2005 in Technique
So I've been shooting digital for several years now. From point and shoot to SLR. Although I vaguely understand photographic theory, I really need to learn and practice theory and technique more than I already do. I know if I learned more and practiced what I know, my photography would improve significantly.

I'd like to study basic, intermediate, and advanced photography in some type of guided and structured method. The problem is I have no time for classroom study because I work full time and also go to college full time at nights and on weekends. Because I don't need the units/credits in the subject area, I can't afford to take the time from my degree studies to take photography classes. And because of scheduling conflicts with my college classes, I can't take community extension classes right now. Maybe I can after I graduate, but that's still a few years away.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how I can study photographic theory and technique, from basic, to intermediate, to advanced, in my free time. I need a self-paced, affordable, structured, guided method.

Is there a specific book? A website? A tutor?

I bought a book titled "Teach Yourself Photography" by Lee Frost that I think is a great book. It however lacks the structure I'd like. I'd like something with lesson plans and exercises in practicing each lesson. In addition to my Canon 300D, I have a manual Nikon FE 35mm camera which I'd like to learn to use. I lack the confidence to shoot film, so learning to shoot film, is something I'd like to do.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Hi Peter,
    Sorry I can't recommend a book or study course, but I think you already have what you may need. You say you lack confidence in shooting film. Why, because of the cost. What better way to slow you down and make you think about each and every shot and why you want to take the shot. Pull the film out and shoot some.

You won't learn to see by reading books. You can learn what DOF is and how to use it by reading a book, but what works best with a particular scene is a judgment call learned through experience.

I looked through some of your previous posts here and you seem to be doing just fine. Watching your backgrounds is really the only consistent problem that I'd mention.

Ansel Adams put out several books that are well written. They may deal mostly with B&W subjects, but are applicable to photography as a whole. Are they rigidly structured books, no. Can you learn alot, yes.

No, you don't have to give up using your digital. But you may wish to ask yourself why you are taking a picture of something before you push the shutter. What is it about this scene/subject that catches your eye. What does it say to you. How best can I capture what my mind is seeing. Then the final question is what am I going to do with it once I've captured it? ( I usually neglect to ask the last question myself )

A digital camera can be a great learning tool because you get immediate feekback. Try setting up a still life set. Experiment with different setups (placement of subject), lighting, exposure, aperture and camera positions. Shoot away and compare the results. See what works with your vision and see what falls short. Just be mindful that what works with this doesn't necessarily work with that.

If you are looking for a formula that will create winning pictures, you're in luck. I have the formula, but first you must buy this wonderful old bridge I have for sale. Maybe you've heard of it, "The Brooklyn Bridge".

And one last note on an overly wordy reply. There is a lot of experience located within the people on this forum. Pick a topic, experiment, share and ask questions. You'll get more than one answer because there is usually more than one way to see. A course won't teach you that.

Good Luck in your quest,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 5, 2005
    Peter,

I don't have any suggestions for guided learning ne_nau.gif But, there are numerous websites that offer tons of information on the basics. You can view them at your leisure and go at your own pace. One site that has really helped me understand light and exposure is this one.

Another option is to frequent our own Critques forum. See what others have to say about the pics up for critque. I know I pick up lots of useful info there :D

This may sound dumb, but the technical part of photography is pretty straightforward and not all that difficult to master. The tough part, at least for me, is the creative part. Picking interesting subjects, using the light and it's angles and intensity as pleasingly as possible, framing and composing, not capturing too much within the frame and trying to capture the vision that's in my mind are the parts of photography I find extremely challenging rolleyes1.gif Most of the coursework I've seen, has been heavy on the technical and light on the creativity.

If you do run across something that meets your requirements, please let us know about it thumb.gif

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful ne_nau.gif I'd love to be able to suggest doing a Vulcan mind meld on Shay or Andy, but the technology just isn't there yet lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero