Lightroom 3 Skin

LacidLacid Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 31, 2010 in Finishing School
No, not changing skin tones. I hate the Dark Theme. Can I change it?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 30, 2010
    Welcome to dgrin, Lacid.

Go to Lightroom>Preferences>Interface and you can change the colors of a bunch of stuff.

Why would you want to? I strongly prefer my images with a black surround, I even do my prints in frames that way.

I was at a workshop given my Michael Reichman and he stated that his prints sold much more often with black mattes, than with more common white or sepia mattes. I have used black ever since.:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • LacidLacid Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2010
    I think you misunderstand.
    I want the theme changed, Not the photos.
    Like the theme on this forum. It's very dark and depressing.
    The menus are black, the fonts are grey.
    For instance if you open Picasa, it's very bright and easy on the eyes.
    This dark theme is depressing.
    Just like the message I'm typing right now. It is grey on black background. Yuck! Laughing.gif
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    I think the theme on Dgrin and the theme on Lightroom are that way for the same reason. If you are going to be viewing photographs critically, especially color correcting, you want the background to be dead neutral so as not to distort your color perception. That is why I also change my computer theme to be neutral gray - no color allowed in the UI.

As Pathfinder said, you can alter the brightness of your Lightroom background.
    edited July 30, 2010
    Like you can change the theme here on this forum:
    1. go to "you" in the upper left corner.
    2. go to "edit options" down the left side
    3. Under "miscellaneous" options, you see "forum skin".
    You can change this depressing color scheme.
    I want to do that in Lightroom.
    edited July 30, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    I think the theme on Dgrin and the theme on Lightroom are that way for the same reason. If you are going to be viewing photographs critically, especially color correcting, you want the background to be dead neutral so as not to distort your color perception. That is why I also change my computer theme to be neutral gray - no color allowed in the UI.

As Pathfinder said, you can alter the brightness of your Lightroom background.

Okay, that does make some sense. But such an expensive program should at least let you change the color menus and such. It's kind of a brain scratcher. It really is hard on my eyes.
    I can see the picture background needing to be black.

Wait.... Why is Flickr white? Laughing.gif
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    White's OK. White's neutral. That's why you can choose "white" as one of your choices in the Lightroom prefs or when right-clicking the background.
    edited July 30, 2010
    Okay, then maybe I am a total dork. When I go to those preferences and make changes, guess what? Nothing changes. I go back to the preferences and it says they are changed but they are not. What gives?
    edited July 30, 2010
    Okay, after playing with it for a while. I've noticed that it is working, but the only thing it changes is the background the picture sits on. Isn't that nuts?
    Why can't they make the rest adaptable?
    A simple little pleasure I know. I'm never happy. Laughing.gif.
    However, I HATE that dark depressing theme.
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2010
    That dark “depressing” theme is far superior for image editing in how it affects your color and tone perception of images. The surround is important and no, you can’t alter that.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/